Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Got a pic? I have seen a few wrist strap/tag loop type key chains that make me wonder if that's my ticket. As it is, I wrap my neck strap once around my wrist, then wrap it around my fingers closer to the body and it's nearly perfect as a wrist strap with a bit of added security.
Here you go!

12-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
I have one of the Black Rapid straps (bought S/H on eBay) - They are fairly expensive, but much, much more comfortable than a strap that goes round the neck. I feel they are well worth the money, and are by far the best strap that I have tried (for me, anyway). The camera can hang behind, beside or in front of you when not in use and it is much easier to carry the camera and a heavy lens this way than around your neck. Well worth the money for the extra comfort and ease of use. As is often said, you get what you pay for!
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I bought a Black Rapid RS-7 for my K-5 which I swapped to my MX due to the fact that I needed a tripod mount there. I would recommend you something like those Op Techs that has similar styling but wraps around the camera lugs / strap holder, rather than something like the Black Rapid that goes into the tripod mount.
I've got the Black Rapid RD-7 and get a lot less neck pain and the camera is less conspicuous. It is definitely worth the cost. I can't say it is better or wore than other sling straps, it is very well made though. The Carryspeeds look pretty good also.
12-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I bought a Tamrac N-45 back in the 80s and it was the best camera strap I ever used. It has a suede covered foam pad that rarely slips and I find comfortable even with the camera body loaded down with a huge flash, heavy telephoto and power/motor grip. I liked it so much I bought another one for my DSLR two years ago and it is basically the same strap. I can even interchange them on the quick release buckles. I've never had a failure of the buckles and they are mighty handy when you mount the camera on a tripod or if the strap gets hung up on something and you're in a hurry.

They have many models include neoprene and neoprene hybrids. While the neoprene straps are very comfortable I dislike the bounce with heavy equipment while you are running. The hybrids probably aren't prone to this.
I couldn't have written my experience with neckstraps any better. I now prefer grip straps, and use Camdapters on all of my cameras, but I do have two of these Tamracs, and one of them with QR swivel clips is always in the bag in case I want to use one.

Scott
12-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I had a Op/Tech line strap for my K10d. It was a decent enough strap but wasn't holding up as well as it probably should around its edges... Nylon was fraying. I never felt any concern over the clips on it. In fact, I like the connectors and clips better on it than the Crumpler one I now own for my K5. The Crumpler strap is a bit more comfortable and a bit nicer looking. It's all qualitative, however, as the Op/Tech strap was still relatively comfortable. If I ever bought a new camera and needed a new strap, I'd probably still evaluate the Op/Tech line first. Perhaps they'd improve some of the minor flaws I saw in the past. Either way, the padding is nice.

In the future, I'd also look closer into Black Rapid stuff. With heavy enough gear, no strap is going to be perfect when it is around the neck. Both of the straps I mentioned above have gotten a bit hard to carry after a 12 hour day of hiking.

12-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
What concerns me most about OpTech's stuff is the weight carrying capacity, as well as multple points of failure, even if by user error, such as those clips and the thin cord by the camera end.
The foam neck pad on mine has frayed a bit at the edges. Just cosmetic and I see some of the newer ones are now wrapped and stitched at the edges. But the nice thing about it is because of the clips you can replace the neck pad without changing out the rest of the rig. Or have different pads for different uses.

Been using mine for almost two years and see no issues with the support strings. I use a DA*16-50 on k-5 most of the time and no worries. If you are using a heavier lens then it might be a concern but I wouldn't be carrying anything heavier on a neck strap anyway.

The clips are rock solid and absolutely the least of my concern. I don't know what the weight capacity on them is but it is far above anything you carry as camera gear. The strings at the camera end are thin, at least on the model I have but after almost two years of use I still do not see any wear. And they make thicker ones if you want, for different camera attach systems.

If you use it as an around the neck pad then you have a single point failure at the strings. but if you use the sling strap system you have both strings independently attached to the sling strap so both would have to fail for the camera to fall. The clips are single point failure but I cannot imagine breaking one of them. And they sell secure ties to prevent them coming loose by accident if that is a concern.
12-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm a huge fan of old canvas and hippie straps. I just change the clips out if I need to or add lobster rings or whatever. Most of the newer straps I have I have had to completely cover them with plush to make them work. The nylon or whatever it is that most straps is made of today cuts my skin every time. It's like seat belts in the car. I have to cover them just to keep them from giving me welts. Fleece is good too but I'm semi allergic so I can't go there.
12-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
If I will be carrying the camera for an extended time frame, I have a belt made from nylon strap material with a quick release mounted. The belt goes around my waist where the camera sits at the end of its strap. The belt redistributes the camera weight and keeps it from swinging - that is both better protection for the camera and the swing adds to neck fatigue. When I want to shoot, the camera quickly releases from the belt, but remains secure with the neck strap. I have an identical release on my monopod - which doubles as a walking stick - so I can quickly mount it there when added stability is desired.

12-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I've got the Black Rapid RD-7 and get a lot less neck pain and the camera is less conspicuous. It is definitely worth the cost. I can't say it is better or wore than other sling straps, it is very well made though. The Carryspeeds look pretty good also.
The RS-7 I have carries my K-5 with a DA* 50-135 without any problems, this is my main set I use often and no problems so far. The Black Rapid straps seems to be very heavy duty in terms of quality of the strap itself and the very solid feel of the metal connectors holding the camera and so-forth. Only problem I have with it is I use my tripod very often ever since I got it and I have to remove the RS-7 to put the quick release plate on. Maybe I will modify the lug area of the K-5 to have a large enough keyring to fit the releaser of the RS-7 on it so it doesn't attach to the tripod mount.
12-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
The RS-7 I have carries my K-5 with a DA* 50-135 without any problems, this is my main set I use often and no problems so far. The Black Rapid straps seems to be very heavy duty in terms of quality of the strap itself and the very solid feel of the metal connectors holding the camera and so-forth. Only problem I have with it is I use my tripod very often ever since I got it and I have to remove the RS-7 to put the quick release plate on. Maybe I will modify the lug area of the K-5 to have a large enough keyring to fit the releaser of the RS-7 on it so it doesn't attach to the tripod mount.
I've thought of ideas to achieve just that. Black Rapid offers the attachment for a certain Manfrotto QR plate, but with that you still have to remove the strap using the clip instead of removing the attachment, it just leaves the QR plate on. I would prefer to have the strap stay attached while using a tripod, but I'm not willing to give up my Black Rapid strap. The new CarrySpeed plate attachment might work, might not.
12-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I have an Ape Case strap which is about 2X as wide as stock so it disperses the weight a little, and it is slightly stretchy so it takes up a little of the jerks or shocks.
12-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DIY. This one is over 40-years old and was already a soft, comfortable belt in an earlier life. Started on a Spotmatic in '68 and has served well on each prime body since.

My second-best choice is a stretchy, neoprene type- also with loops added to help keep track of accessories/caps.

H2

12-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
Forum Member

i bought a quick neck shoulder strap for nikon sony camera from amason. i attach the connector to the end of the camera. i like the strap because the connector sludies up and down. the strip is not expensive.
01-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #28

for those concerned with the optech straps.

The "string" on the end is the same line that they use on their saxophone straps. Some of the larger saxophones weigh in excess of 15lbs which is still heavier than the FA* 250-600 with a K-5/grip attached to it. The clips are also used on these straps.

As a textile engineer I was curious about it, so I took an old strap and pulled it on an instron and it withstood constant tension up to 113lbs. Bounce test would obviously be lower, but the sucker isn't going to break anytime soon. The lugs are pretty well rounded so abrasion is a non-issue.
As a technical scuba diver, we also use similar plastic clips, albeit the 2" versions which support 150+lbs of scuba gear with ease. Rated to much much higher than that and these clips get abused like you wouldn't believe inside of the caves.

Just wanted to help reassure some about the connectors.
01-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #29
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Thanks for the comment Saxplayer, I'm sure that info will help the skeptical ones to feel more confident in those things. I've have cell phones with similar attachments and at first was unsure, but after using them for a while it became clear that the material is quite strong.
01-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
Forum Member

I bought a leather strap on Etsy because I find the stock strap really ugly. Here it is