Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Comfortable Camera Straps

Does anyone know of a more comfortable camera strap? The one my X-5 came with is causing irritation on the back of my neck.

12-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sew sheep fleece onto the camera straps that I make; super soft and comfortable.
If you want to see what I'm talking about, you can click these links:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/110471399/unique-handmade-genuine-leather-and
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/107132974

You can search up "padded camera strap" or "neoprene camera strap" (OP/TECH E-Z Comfort is a nice one) on Ebay, that is probably the cheapest way to find one.
12-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

something else maybe?
Luma Labs — Cinch
12-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found the Crumpler strap to be the most comfortable around-the-neck strap I have ever used. It distributes the weight very evenly without excessive pressure on the neck.

Industry Disgrace

Last edited by cpk; 12-25-2012 at 08:48 PM.
12-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I purchased the FS-Pro on Cyber Monday, so it was on sale. It's kinda pricey now, but I really like it.
CarrySpeed
12-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I sew sheep fleece onto the camera straps that I make; super soft and comfortable.
If you want to see what I'm talking about, you can click these links:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/110471399/unique-handmade-genuine-leather-and
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/107132974

You can search up "padded camera strap" or "neoprene camera strap" (OP/TECH E-Z Comfort is a nice one) on Ebay, that is probably the cheapest way to find one.
I like that idea, maybe I could try with one of those seatbelt covers.
12-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a look at the op/tech line. Amazon.com: OP/TECH USA Pro Strap - Black: Camera & Photo

I use the sling strap version: Amazon.com: OP/TECH USA 3501242 Utility Strap-Sling Connector for Fast Access to Cameras and Binoculars - Neoprene (Black): Camera & Photo and find it is best I have ever used. I hate the strap around the neck, after a day my neck is stiff and sore. No problems with the sling strap.

12-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #8

I bought a Tamrac N-45 back in the 80s and it was the best camera strap I ever used. It has a suede covered foam pad that rarely slips and I find comfortable even with the camera body loaded down with a huge flash, heavy telephoto and power/motor grip. I liked it so much I bought another one for my DSLR two years ago and it is basically the same strap. I can even interchange them on the quick release buckles. I've never had a failure of the buckles and they are mighty handy when you mount the camera on a tripod or if the strap gets hung up on something and you're in a hurry.

They have many models include neoprene and neoprene hybrids. While the neoprene straps are very comfortable I dislike the bounce with heavy equipment while you are running. The hybrids probably aren't prone to this.

Tamrac - Camera Straps
12-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Another option is to find a busted up vintage camera from the 70's or 80's on eBay and drop $5 on it solely for the strap. I've acquired a couple very nice straps inadvertently when I was buying body kits for lenses included with them.

The only caveat is that you may (probably will) have to get creative in attaching the strap to the camera since the clasps won't fit well directly.
12-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #10

I have one of the Black Rapid straps (bought S/H on eBay) - They are fairly expensive, but much, much more comfortable than a strap that goes round the neck. I feel they are well worth the money, and are by far the best strap that I have tried (for me, anyway). The camera can hang behind, beside or in front of you when not in use and it is much easier to carry the camera and a heavy lens this way than around your neck. Well worth the money for the extra comfort and ease of use. As is often said, you get what you pay for!
12-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I bought a Black Rapid RS-7 for my K-5 which I swapped to my MX due to the fact that I needed a tripod mount there. I would recommend you something like those Op Techs that has similar styling but wraps around the camera lugs / strap holder, rather than something like the Black Rapid that goes into the tripod mount.
12-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

These are what I use for me Ricoh GXR system, which one depending on the situation:

- Wrist strap
- Neck strap
- Sling strap

The sling strap is used the most often.
12-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Banned

What concerns me most about OpTech's stuff is the weight carrying capacity, as well as multple points of failure, even if by user error, such as those clips and the thin cord by the camera end.
12-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I always feel uncomfortable with a camera hanging around my neck. So I never make use of the included neck strap that comes with the kit, or any aftermarket options.

But I also am concerned that I may drop my camera, or that someone may snatch it while I am walking with it, so I use a wrist strap. I put a keychain split ring on the right side attachment point (had to try a couple at the key shop to get one that fits, but they are available). Then I use a carabiner type quick clasp, the kind with a threaded lock on it, threaded to the end of the wrist strap that would normally attach to the camera. That way I can take it off easily when I am using the camera on the tripod.

Easy Squeezy
12-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I always feel uncomfortable with a camera hanging around my neck. So I never make use of the included neck strap that comes with the kit, or any aftermarket options.

But I also am concerned that I may drop my camera, or that someone may snatch it while I am walking with it, so I use a wrist strap. I put a keychain split ring on the right side attachment point (had to try a couple at the key shop to get one that fits, but they are available). Then I use a carabiner type quick clasp, the kind with a threaded lock on it, threaded to the end of the wrist strap that would normally attach to the camera. That way I can take it off easily when I am using the camera on the tripod.

Easy Squeezy
Got a pic? I have seen a few wrist strap/tag loop type key chains that make me wonder if that's my ticket. As it is, I wrap my neck strap once around my wrist, then wrap it around my fingers closer to the body and it's nearly perfect as a wrist strap with a bit of added security.