Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
1.08x-1.58x Magnifying Magnifier Eyepiece

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello

Has anyone used: 1.08x 1.58x Magnifying Magnifier-Eyepiece Eyecup?

12-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. I have the Tenpa eyepiece Tenpa 1 36x Viewfinder Eyecup Magnifier for Canon Nikon | eBay which is quite a bit more expensive, but which I find very good in use.
12-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I had KPS 1.3 magnifier. KPS 1.3, but for me it had to large vignette
03-11-2013, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Forum Member

Just got one - 1.08X-1.58X magnifier

Glad to see this post. I've been considering this same magnifier and finally decided to buy one, taking little risk on just an $18 purchase. Like you, I could find almost no reviews on this magnifier. So this inspires me to write one up for the Database.

Mine is the DSLRKit from eBay. The Nikon viewfinder adapter that comes with it (along with 2 Canon adapters) fits snug on the Pentax (mine is the k-5). After some initial testing, I must say I am very happy with this product. It seem to be good quality - not stellar - and perfectly satisfactory considering its very reasonable price. Through some rough eyeballing, viewing a color grid, I've determined that the magnification factors are reasonably accurate. Objects appear to be roughly 25% taller and wider - that works to be between 50-60% magnification, or 1.5-1.6X - at its zoomed max. Zoomed to minimum, it does appear slightly larger (10%) than with no magnification. The image quality is great in the center, but looses sharpness around the extreme edges. But when I'm using manual focus, I'm look through the center anyway. I notice no additional color fringing or any other obnoxious artifacts either. There is slight vignetting of the corners - especially when at 1.6X. But I can still see from edge to edge for composition, and with just a slight shift of the eye, can read the display at the base of the viewfinder. I find the vignetting of no serious distraction or interference with my composition. Now, as far as its effects on manual focusing - the reason I bought this in the first place - it does, to me, significantly help my accuracy in nailing the focus. I use the ML-60 AF divided matte screen. I find that, even with the limitations inherent in AF screens, I can achieve very reasonable accuracy of focus even with my SMC M 50/1.4. So I'm very pleased about that. For extra critical focus, I'd still check with Live View.

One con to this design, as convenient as it is, is that when I wear my camera over my shoulder, the action of the camera bumping against my side tends to push the magnifier in from its max zoom position. So when I lift the camera to my eye, I may need to twist the magnifier lens back out to max zoom. The zooming feels well dampened and not loose at all. It holds its position except in the situation I just described. Another inconvenience, if one zooms the eyepiece frequently, is that the diopter needs to be adjusted from one extreme to the other when zooming the eyepiece from min to max. I plan to use this at max magnification most of the time anyway, but I check my diopter focus by making sure the led display looks sharp to my eye.

The magnifier also comes with two choices of eye cups. I prefer the large flange one - I don't wear glasses when shooting. The large flange does obstruct some of the LCD viewfinder. I just move it out of they way if I need to. I haven't found it to be an inconvenience so far.

I think that 1.6X is about as magnified one would want without needing to flip the magnifier out of the way to compose the shot. Its usefulness is certainly subjective. But I am finding this to be a very worthwhile investment that makes my viewfinder experience much more enjoyable with a nice full and large image to my eye (no tunnel effect). I've been using the Pentax O-ME53 (1.18X) magnifier before this. It was definitely an improvement over the stock eyepiece, but this new 1.08-1.58X magnifier will most likely stay on my camera. I'd use the O-ME53 when I plan to use just AF lenses.

Hope this post has been helpful.

03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I use the PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53, on all my bodies it just gives me a slight edge and these days I need all the help I can get.
03-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also use and like the O-ME53 Magnifier Eyecup. Even as an eyeglass wearer, I'm able to get the full field of view plus the magnification. I'm a diehard manual focus guy and the magnification is handy (unlike kerrowdown and his killer "A's", my lenses are all capable of autofocus, I just very seldom use autofocus).
03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't mind me asking but could you provide the link to this? I kinda gave my wife my OME magnifier and i'm thinking of trying this "cheapo" out.. :P

03-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #8

1.08x-1.58x zoom viewfinder eyepiece

Just type into the evilBay search box: 1.08x-1.58x zoom viewfinder eyepiece for results.
03-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
are all capable of autofocus
What's autofocus?
03-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
What's autofocus?
It's when you place your fingers on the focusing ring and turn it.. Unless one has a stroke, focusing speed is pretty much variable as compared to them lousy constant focusing speed of AF lenses... Kidding!

Oh yea... I kinda pulled the trigger on this magnifier too. Looking at the image on the listing, the magnifier sure has a larger glass compared to normal and stock magnifying screen.

Let's hope it won't vignette badly..
04-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #11

OK, thanks. I had some doubts about 1.08x-1.58x zoom viewfinder eyepiece but after reading upper posts I think I'll buy it.
04-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm kind of curious about how nice it is. Looks like a nice piece, from what drJaxon says, but I'd be concerned that it gives up image quality in order to zoom. (The KPS one works just great for me, so it's kind of academic. But I suppose we'll see. From all the discussions here, a lot about eyepieces seems to come down to the individual.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-11-2013 at 02:13 PM.
04-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by drjaxon Quote
Hope this post has been helpful.
Thanks for the brief review! I am about to pull the trigger and buy it as well... if someone else has experience with it, please share!
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #14

Bought it... when I'll get it I'll try to post my impressions as well!
04-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Seems like I noticed this thread late.

I have such a eyepiece.
My findings are the same as drjaxon.

At max magnification, there is vignetting unless one 'eyeballs' left and right.
The eyepiece optic also looses sharpness on the periphery, so the best way to use it is to use the the center or near center for focusing.
Sometimes, the rubbing on the body and eyepiece during walking can turn the eyepiece from the max magnification position, but no big deal, just turn it back.

For the cheap price I got it, I think its fine, and the most magnification out there.
Anything with higher magnification would severely vignette and pose a problem of getting proper FOV.