Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I have a Manfrotto #679, a 3 section monopod that is brutally strong. With only the largest length extended it stands 44" high and is perfect for use as a walking stick. Pull out the last section and it is 64" high and is perfect to use for photography. I think I paid about $50 for it.
Works for me.
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I have the same, except a black version, 679B + a simple Manfrotto 234 tilt head. I like the sturdines and would not settle for any less sturdy. It is not too heavy but having only three parts is a bit long to carry, I carry it simply on my shoulder with a belt I added.
I have the 680 plus the 390RC2 head. The monopod is great as it's a bit shorter having 4 sections. The head I'm not too crazy about but it does have a quick release.

I also recently bought the folding legs to make it into a tripod. I wouldn't trust leaving my K10D + grip + DA18-250mm on it alone in the wind, but it's a lot more sturdy having the legs out. It allows me to focus on the subject a bit more without worrying about dropping my rig if I let go for a brief second.

The legs screw into the bottom section when not needed. Adds a little more weight but I can deal with that.

04-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very useful thread. (which I came across after a bit of searching, thanks to Buddha's desriptive thread title.)
Have just ordered the Treck Pod Go! as a result of reading this and my experiences in China where I used my Manfrotto 680B as walking stick. I got by but it was less than ideal.

...and we were all getting worried about LBA.. I got enough tripods and monopods to hold a sale!
Cheers.
04-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi GWP, why did you find the Manfrotto 680B less than ideal?

Paul
04-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
...and we were all getting worried about LBA.. I got enough tripods and monopods to hold a sale!
Cheers.
Perhaps you should - I'm open to a good deal for a ball mount.

04-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a few hours ago I picked up the 682B from Biggs Camera in Charlotte, they have it on sale for $99. It is a beast of a stick but with all the gear I am going to load up on it I needed something that big. I would of liked a 4 section to get lower but the leg support sold me, as well as the price.

I love having a local camera shop!
04-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Hi GWP, why did you find the Manfrotto 680B less than ideal?

Paul
Hi Paul,
I have had it for awhile now and when using it as a walking stick it was wanting to close up any time I applied weight to it...not fast or dangerously so, but after say walking up (or down) 10 steps it would have closed up several inches and needed adjusting. It was steadily getting worse.

And with my 'carnival' knee that was less than ideal.

As a monopod its excellent.

Cheers.
04-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Perhaps you should - I'm open to a good deal for a ball mount.
Hi JC,

Nah, the original hoarder here, maybe oneday when I move I will get an attack of the ruthless and throw some out.
Cheers

04-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Hi Paul,
I have had it for awhile now and when using it as a walking stick it was wanting to close up any time I applied weight to it...not fast or dangerously so, but after say walking up (or down) 10 steps it would have closed up several inches and needed adjusting. It was steadily getting worse.

And with my 'carnival' knee that was less than ideal.

As a monopod its excellent.

Cheers.
My 682 had that problem, but it was fixed by adjustiong the cam locks for the sections.
04-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I've also just ordered a Monopod but as I could get a good deal on a Giottos P-Pod MM5570 I went for that. I think it's a similar arrangement to the Manfrotto 682, but the legs for self-standing are a bit more fiddly to put into place. I probably didn't think about weight enough before purchase. At 1.26 Kg it's quite heavy. My main concern is that baggage weight on planes is becoming more of an issue for me these days.

Paul
10-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Coach Quote
I have the 680 plus the 390RC2 head. The monopod is great as it's a bit shorter having 4 sections. The head I'm not too crazy about but it does have a quick release.

I also recently bought the folding legs to make it into a tripod. I wouldn't trust leaving my K10D + grip + DA18-250mm on it alone in the wind, but it's a lot more sturdy having the legs out. It allows me to focus on the subject a bit more without worrying about dropping my rig if I let go for a brief second.

The legs screw into the bottom section when not needed. Adds a little more weight but I can deal with that.
can you tell me if its set at the shortest height with legs deployed, how sturdy is it

Dave