Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Monopod as a walking stick?

I am going on a fishing trip in Cherokee, NC in May and anticipate doing a little hiking while I am up there. While I anticipated bringing my tripod on the trip I was wondering if a monopod might be better suited. I am not very familiar with the sturdiness of monopods so I don't know if that is asking too much of them or if there are models that are designed to take that sort of abuse.

Good idea, or should I stick with the tripod?

02-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Buddha:

You might be interested in Trek-Tech : Home

I don't own one, but it looks like what you asked for!
02-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Personally I would not use my monopod as a hiking stick, I would destroy the poor thing.

I do use a hiking stick that has a built in camera screw on top...

My hiking staff is a lot cheaper than my monopod ($21 from Lee Valley) so I won't be heart broken if I kill it, and it's very solidly built. I use it hiking, snowshoeing and have abused it quite a bit.

Pat
02-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have a Manfrotto #679, a 3 section monopod that is brutally strong. With only the largest length extended it stands 44" high and is perfect for use as a walking stick. Pull out the last section and it is 64" high and is perfect to use for photography. I think I paid about $50 for it.
Works for me.

02-18-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I use a Leki Sierra-Photo which looks similar to the item posted by ve2vfd which I kie a lot.

The thread under the knob on the top is a little long but does have a locking screw for the bottom of the camera. Will get a small ball head with QR plate to put on it as I find it needs more flexibility rather than being in landscape aspect only. Also makes it difficult to take near images as it can't angle down easily without losing alot of stability

Asked a shop attendant about whether to use a monopod as a trekking stick and the idea was dismissed immediately as the leg locking mechanism wasn't up to it.
02-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I have a Manfrotto #679, a 3 section monopod that is brutally strong. With only the largest length extended it stands 44" high and is perfect for use as a walking stick. Pull out the last section and it is 64" high and is perfect to use for photography. I think I paid about $50 for it.
Works for me.
I have the same, except a black version, 679B + a simple Manfrotto 234 tilt head. I like the sturdines and would not settle for any less sturdy. It is not too heavy but having only three parts is a bit long to carry, I carry it simply on my shoulder with a belt I added.
02-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

i've got the 679 as well and i trust it. i use it with a fully adjustable ballhead so it meets desires..i trust it as a stick. only thing i dislike about it is it's too tall for me to use when i'm sitting down on the ground..

02-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use a Giotto MM5580 . Strong and durable .
02-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
trek pod

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I am going on a fishing trip in Cherokee, NC in May and anticipate doing a little hiking while I am up there. While I anticipated bringing my tripod on the trip I was wondering if a monopod might be better suited. I am not very familiar with the sturdiness of monopods so I don't know if that is asking too much of them or if there are models that are designed to take that sort of abuse.

Good idea, or should I stick with the tripod?
Buddha, I own the trek pod (linked by someone else) and I love it. It certainly is sturdy enough to use as a walking stick, I use it for exactly that, it helps these 59 yr old knees to clamber over old stone walls, deadfalls and the like. The monopod feature works quite well. The feet even spred out so that it's a tripod, I've used the feature on my DS but not sure I want to trust the much heavier K10D to it. But as both a monopod and as a walking stick it "works as intended". The only complaint I have with it is that the small safety clip that is used to lock the camera on the monopod is attached to the head of the monopod with somewhat flimsy elastic. After losing the second one, I took it off and keep it in my bag. Other than that little nitpick it's a great piece of equipment.

NaCl(use mine all the time)H2O
02-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies guys, I will check out the Manfrotto as I like their gear.
02-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys, I will check out the Manfrotto as I like their gear.
I have a manfrotto monopod that I used as a hiking stick around south america on a 3 months trip down there. Held up great.
02-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I researched the topic myself some time ago.

My findings were as follows:

- The monopods aren't good for walking

- There are only a few hiking sticks usable as a monopod

- The walking stick most easily found is the Leki Sierra FS (Fotosystem) hiking stick. However, it is dismissed by most who ever tried it because of its poor quality.

More research revealed a solution which may be to be recommended:

- A pair of decent walking sticks, i.e., the Leki Makalu (SAS) Soft Antishock. Plus a pair of Leki Makalu FS poles. Obviously, it is impossible to find an internet source for the so-called "Makalu Monopod". It is kind of a mysterious thing. Still, many practioneers swear it to be the best solution, so it must exist... Probably, one should call up Leki on the matter.

Leki Sierra FS:

Leki Makalu:

Summary:
Go with the Leki Makalu Soft SAS Antishock / Fotosystem FS poles.

Here is proof that such mysterious thing exists: LEKI Makalu Antishock Photosystem Reviews . If anybody finds a dealer actually selling it, please let us know!

Last edited by falconeye; 02-19-2008 at 06:19 PM.
02-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Falconeye, I respectfully beg to differ

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I researched the topic myself some time ago.

My findings were as follows:

- The monopods aren't good for walking

- There are only a few hiking sticks usable as a monopod

*snip*
I have been hiking and photographing with the trek pod II for over two years. It is a very sturdy product in monopod mode. I have been able to put my full weight on it as a vertical load and have put plenty of torque on it while clambering around on rocky ridges. It has a small ball head so you can use it even in portrait mode, that is protected by a magnetic knob when not in use. I will admit that the tripod feature is not something you can use on anything but strictly level ground, but as a monopod it works very well. Here is a link to it's specs.
Trek-Tech : Products

NaCl(it's saved me from some nasty falls, and it's a GREAT walking staff)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 02-19-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: fixed link
02-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, Buddha - I use my monopod as a hiking stick all the time. The problem seems to be that the foot is not meant for that work, and I keep replacing the tip.
02-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Falconeye, I respectfully beg to differ
I have been hiking and photographing with the trek pod II for over two years. It is a very sturdy product in monopod mode.
You are welcome

Let me eyplain, though, what I mean by what I said... Trekking sticks, for me, must enable me to fatigue less quickly when going long distances, difficult terrain, high altitudes. Think of making >1000m altitude difference. If not, they just add up to the weight one has to carry and I would dismiss them. That a monopod is sturdy won't help here at all.

Or put differently: good trekking sticks/monopod give you the energy to take photos at all

Now, when I read the original post: "am going on a fishing trip in Cherokee" I am wondering if that is a concern, however.