Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Third party m42 adapters (infinity type)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It has been a long time since I have bought any m42 adapters, in the meantime I have managed to acquire a few more m42 lenses and I am in need of some more adapters. I like to use the m42 lenses like a pseudo K mount lenses by cinching the m42 adapter (minus the spring) tight to the lens. The genuine article may be the best but much too expensive to buy 1/2 dozen at a time...

Has anyone purchased any third party adapters which aligns fairly close to the lens' focus hash mark that mount/dismount from the body with nominal amount of force? If so, can you tell me which vendor/seller or brands?

Thanks,

12-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I've bought a half-dozen or so from "Roxsen" on ebay for that purpose and they are good (you must remove the spring). $7.50 each with free shipping from Hong Kong. I've had others where the lens ended up upside down -- that's annoying.

Link:

M42 Lens to Pentax K Mount Adapter Infinity K100D K X | eBay

EDIT: Didn't notice you were in Canada, here is ebay canada link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/M42-Lens-to-Pentax-K-Mount-Adapter-Infinity-K100D-K-x...item2a1c526047
12-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link - I've had a batch of five from Rainbow Imaging a few years ago that did the same thing. I'll place an order for them soonish...
01-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I've bought a half-dozen or so from "Roxsen" on ebay for that purpose and they are good (you must remove the spring). $7.50 each with free shipping from Hong Kong. I've had others where the lens ended up upside down -- that's annoying.
Interesting, I have 3 adapters from the same seller, and you can see my experience with them here. They must be changing producers/suppliers all the time.

01-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
They must be changing producers/suppliers all the time.
Certainly possible, or there are variances from batch to batch. I ordered one as a test back in June, and it was fine. Ordered a batch of another 5 or so in October, all the same and they work fine.

They do have greater friction in the mount that the genuine ones, which is good -- the Pentax ones are purposely made to be a bit loose, but have the spring to keep them in -- I would not use the real ones for semi-permanent attachment to the lens or they would rotate out just with focusing, etc. So these are a little stiffer, but I have no trouble mounting/dismounting them, and I've used them on a few different bodies (all digital). One got stuck one time, but it just turned out I had missed removing the spring on that one, which was strange because that is the first thing I do when taking them out of the bag.
01-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would not use the real ones for semi-permanent attachment to the lens or they would rotate out just with focusing, etc.
You can "fine tune" the friction effect with one or more tiny drops of acrylic enamel (clear finger nail polish) or lacquer on the threads. Let it dry well before use.

H2
01-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Certainly possible, or there are variances from batch to batch. I ordered one as a test back in June, and it was fine. Ordered a batch of another 5 or so in October, all the same and they work fine.

They do have greater friction in the mount that the genuine ones, which is good -- the Pentax ones are purposely made to be a bit loose, but have the spring to keep them in -- I would not use the real ones for semi-permanent attachment to the lens or they would rotate out just with focusing, etc. So these are a little stiffer, but I have no trouble mounting/dismounting them, and I've used them on a few different bodies (all digital). One got stuck one time, but it just turned out I had missed removing the spring on that one, which was strange because that is the first thing I do when taking them out of the bag.
It's good to know the time frame when your adapters were ordered because they change suppliers all the time. The ones I got from Rainbow Imaging which mounted the lenses upside down, apparently were from a new supplier RI was trying out for the first time (so they said). The replacement batch had near perfect alignment but turned out to be very tight, a few passes with an emery board on the underside of each lens lock flange solved that problem.

I'll order one for now and a batch later depending on how the adapter fits.

01-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
They must be changing producers/suppliers all the time.
Issues with poor machining and stiffness in the mount are common. The stiffness issue would be of particular concern to me since something has got to give. Either the adapter is going to act as a tap or the mount is going to act as a die. The first is not a good thing.

I have heard nothing but good in regards to the SRB-Griturn adapters from England. They are expensive, but may be worth it. Has anybody tried the Kipon adapter? From what I understand, they have a very good reputation with the NEX/M4/3/Fuji-X crowd.

Steve
01-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a real Pentax one permanently set into my k 10D. If you have 5-6 lenses, why not just use them. Leave the adaptor in the camera. I thought once about adding a flanged adaptor to all my lenses and re-aligning focus to make them work to infinity, but in the end I just went out and put together an M42 kit.

Presently I am about $1200 into the kit, but that covers 16mm through 300mm with 16 lenses. Only two cost more than $100, my supertak 85/1.9 and a zenitar 16mm fisheye
01-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have a real Pentax one permanently set into my k 10D. If you have 5-6 lenses, why not just use them. Leave the adaptor in the camera. I thought once about adding a flanged adaptor to all my lenses and re-aligning focus to make them work to infinity, but in the end I just went out and put together an M42 kit.

Presently I am about $1200 into the kit, but that covers 16mm through 300mm with 16 lenses. Only two cost more than $100, my supertak 85/1.9 and a zenitar 16mm fisheye
I find I am often switching between m42 and K, so it is easier to make them all K, and they mount a lot faster. But I still use the genuine ones for lens-hunting (not really a good idea to wrench an adapter onto a lens you haven't bought yet at the store) and for the overflow of m42s I have but don't use as often. But there are a handful of lens that are well established as regulars in my stable, so I just put on the adapter and forget about it. (At least until a up-and-coming candidate lens comes and takes their place in the inner circle.) Also helpful when you are juggling two bodies to have all the same mount...