Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
hard drive case with card reader

I see on the market a few portable hard drives with integrated card readers for transferring photos while away from a PC . I am looking for a unit that comes without the hard drive. I have several spare drives on hand and would like to save the cost of the actual hard drive. Any suggestions?

01-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

If you are looking for a card reader, first of all, don't even think about the cheap ~10$ ones.
I've had just catastrophic experience using one of them. Lost almost all photos from a photo session. TWICE and it wasn't because of the card. It was pretty much the biggest embarrassment I have ever suffered.
I Haven't used a card reader since then and I hardly doubt that is going to change.

Sorry, I don't have anything to recommend, but to be honest, I don't even want to.

I wish my experience was just bad luck and you will be alright
01-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am NOT looking for a simple card reader. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I am looking for a portable hard drive (but without an installed drive) that includes a built-in card reader to transfer the contents of memory cards directly to the hard drive without needing an interveining computer. There are several on the market that include hard drives of various sizes. I want one where I install my own hard drive. I have several left over from laptop upgrades, both IDE and SATA flavors, that would work just fine.
01-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought one several years ago, and was disappointed by the limitations, no SDHC support, and limited to a 32GB partition. Also the display is /was totally unreliable.

Some may be good, mine was not. Cannot remember now who made it. Paid about $50 for the case, which came with an integrated battery

01-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A quick google search turned up this one:

Amazon.com: Rocketfish - 3.5in Serial ATA Hard Drive Enclosure: Computers & Accessories

You might also search at newegg.com
01-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good heavens! Don't you folk even READ before making a response? Lowell Goudge's response while useless, was probably the most on topic.

Please RE-READ my post - this device has to transfer photos from my SDHC (and hopefully my wife's xD) cards WITHOUT NEEDING A COMPUTER TO DO SO.
Apapukas - I don't want JUST a card reader.
MPrince - the drive you suggest will not transfer directly from card reader to hard drive - you have to have a PC connection where you read the card into the PC's RAM and write from the PC to the external hard drive. Frankly I can do the same thing rigtht now ussing parts I already have on hand.
01-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Good heavens! Don't you folk even READ before making a response? Lowell Goudge's response while useless, was probably the most on topic.

Please RE-READ my post - this device has to transfer photos from my SDHC (and hopefully my wife's xD) cards WITHOUT NEEDING A COMPUTER TO DO SO.
MPrince - the drive you suggest will not transfer directly from card reader to hard drive - you have to have a PC connection where you read the card into the PC's RAM and write from the PC to the external hard drive. Frankly I can do the same thing rigtht now ussing parts I already have on hand.
Jim. Sorry I was not more help, but at the moment, I can't find it. When I do, I will post more as an update. As a word of advise, mine had a LCD data display, it would be better to have a real image display, that is a function of later updates I suppose. Also look for SD HC capability, and newer operating system that can have larger than 32GB partition. What I liked about mine was the self powered feature. The big downside was display reliability, that failed, leaving you never knowing what got saved.

The are a few out there, but in the end, I concluded a 120GB web book is much more useful, supplemented by a 1 GB western digital Passport drive. With an 8 inch screen, and a loaded photo editor like Corel PSP X it can do a lot more as long as you save in DNG format or JPEG, and have enough memory for a 16MP shot
01-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Jim

Try these links to old discussions on this topic. The unit I bought was a SansDigital

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/11871-transfering-...-drivre-3.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/14643-pho...-drives-2.html

01-02-2013, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

No problem, I'll be sure to not waste my valuable time doing any more quick google searches to try to help you out. I do have a hard drive enclosure that does what you want, but I don't remember the name of it, it's in storage because I don't use it that often, and I don't remember where I got it.
01-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used a colorspace Hyperdrive for years - it reads Compact flash and SD cards. it has the capability to recover erased or damaged images from memory cards. Mine is based on an older 2.5" P-ATA drive, you can get them these days with the newer and faster SATA ATA- 5 2.5" drives in them* - there is no limit on the size of the drive you can use in them. The batteries in them are user replaceable and so are the hard drives. The screens used on them are reliable, but nothing to write home about.

* I have heard of people using solid state drives (SSD) in these units, and they get some absurdly fast transfer rates with them, also using an SSD drive extends the battery life considerably and it also enhances the durability of the device.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-02-2013 at 03:46 AM.
01-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Thanks. That's the right idea. Sadly the mentioned devices are no longer sold ... but looking at your and others' experience with the specific listed devices, that's probably not a bad idea.

I read your use of a webbook. My netbook wouid do the same. I want to go lighter still for those trips where I have to carry it all for hours at a time. My Nexus 7 tablet can read SDHC cards or a hard drive via a USB OTG cable to preview photos - but unless I root the tablet, I can't write to USB devices. That means I can't use the tablet as an intermediary.
01-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have used a colorspace Hyperdrive for years - it reads Compact flash and SD cards. it has the capability to recover erased or damaged images from memory cards. Mine is based on an older 2.5" P-ATA drive, you can get them these days with the newer and faster SATA ATA- 5 2.5" drives in them* - there is no limit on the size of the drive you can use in them. The batteries in them are user replaceable and so are the hard drives. The screens used on them are reliable, but nothing to write home about.

* I have heard of people using solid state drives (SSD) in these units, and they get some absurdly fast transfer rates with them, also using an SSD drive extends the battery life considerably and it also enhances the durability of the device.
Thank you. The colorspace hyperdrive would do the job I need and a much more ... but wow! They sure want a lot for it. If I can't find something a bit less expensive, I'll have to save my pennies before that next trip.
01-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thank you. The colorspace hyperdrive would do the job I need and a much more ... but wow! They sure want a lot for it. If I can't find something a bit less expensive, I'll have to save my pennies before that next trip.
Love my toshiba thrive for this job. The 10 inch version has full sized USB and SDHC slots, meaning you can put your memory card in and transfer the files over to an external drive (or a 64gb USB thumbdrive which are around for under $40). Smaller than a netbook but with pretty much all of the functionality. This is the first generation model though, and I bought mine refurbished in the middle of 2012 - the refurbished deals are becoming less frequent but if you can find one for $200-220 it is still a great deal.
01-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks. That's the right idea. Sadly the mentioned devices are no longer sold ... but looking at your and others' experience with the specific listed devices, that's probably not a bad idea.

I read your use of a webbook. My netbook wouid do the same. I want to go lighter still for those trips where I have to carry it all for hours at a time. My Nexus 7 tablet can read SDHC cards or a hard drive via a USB OTG cable to preview photos - but unless I root the tablet, I can't write to USB devices. That means I can't use the tablet as an intermediary.
I went as far at one point to get a USB router integrated into a CF type II card that fit into my axim, and would let me access any USB device connected, but the speed was not there.

Out of curiosity I looked at a Microsoft tablet, (I know a little big and heavy) but they only have a single USB device. Having said that, when you look at the sans digital drive I have, it would likely be able to route from any USB port to the HD because all the USB ports had separate device IDs. It still means carrying around more than you want. If there was something similar but newer that didn't need a partition it would be good, as I too have many drives right now just sitting after the notebooks died.
Closed Thread