Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone use a HEPA blower?

Just wondering if anyone has used a KOH or Optex rocket blower with a HEPA filter like this to blow dust off the sensor.

I have the large Giottos rocket blower & thought maybe the filter would cut down on dust particles introduced into the camera. Or maybe it's just a gimmick. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

01-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My only experience with sensor dust was on my small Olympus XZ-1, which as you know has a non-removable lens. When a large dark blob appeared on my pictures, I went after it with a garage Shop-Vac -- set to vacuum, not blow -- attached to the lens with aluminum foil. Hit the Shop-Vac switch really fast on-then-off, did it twice, and the blob was gone.

This, basically, is a desperation technique, with elements of humor... like maybe selling Shop-Vacs, re-branded with a huge markup, to photographers. But you DSLR guys have the luxury of being able to remove the lens, which should let you get at the sensor, unless there's some kind of Bayer filter in front of it.

As a note -- my dust blob experience actually tipped me over from digital back to film. Am getting older, and attracted to older technology, where at least I have the illusion that I can fix things myself.
Attached Images

01-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just my opinion. Gimmick.

If the bulb is the same size as the Giotto & nozzle same then it would perform equally well on the jet of air emitted..
The air re-drawn thru the cartridge into the bulb is filtered whereas the Giotto it isn't.
But who uses their rocket blower a dusty area with one hand and an open camera body in the other?
Also when you eject air out of the nozzle some air around the nozzle is entrained into the flow anyway.

It's most important to be in a fairly clean area when using it rather than just filter the air into bulb.

If it is a real HEPA then it'll be able to trap smoke, stop bacteria and even fart smells..
I think its bulky and unnecessary.
01-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Maybe not HEPA level filtration, but if I were worried about my Giotto blower inhaling and exhaling dust, I can just secure a couple layers of coffee maker filter over the intake. In fact, I just did as an experiment. Bulb output level is of course not affected, and subjectively, air intake isn't really affected either.

01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Almost "gimmick level" IMHO... my blower has a filter built-in which I feel is fine ... J
01-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
if I were worried about my Giotto blower inhaling and exhaling dust, I can just secure a couple layers of coffee maker filter over the intake.
Great idea! I might do that. I already have good luck with my sensor cleaning regimen, but every once in awhile I wonder if I can refine something & make it better. :-)