Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Jessop PKA/AF extension tube modification?

I just picked up a set of the Jessop extension tubes for my K-5. In searching the archives it seems that a modification (i.e. scraping paint off of the extension tube ring) was thought to be necessary for the lens aperture information to be seen by the camera. However, mine seems to meter properly in both manual and aperture-priority modes except that the aperture reading is blank in the camera viewfinder but it shows properly (I think) on the LCD display. I am curious if maybe the K-5 does not need the tube modification whereas the older Pentax cameras did?

01-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wjax Quote
I just picked up a set of the Jessop extension tubes for my K-5. In searching the archives it seems that a modification (i.e. scraping paint off of the extension tube ring) was thought to be necessary for the lens aperture information to be seen by the camera. However, mine seems to meter properly in both manual and aperture-priority modes except that the aperture reading is blank in the camera viewfinder but it shows properly (I think) on the LCD display. I am curious if maybe the K-5 does not need the tube modification whereas the older Pentax cameras did?
What you see in live view is wrong. Go by the viewfinder or top LCD.
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
What you see in live view is wrong. Go by the viewfinder or top LCD.
Okay, thanks. You would appear to be correct since all three displays show aperture info after the paint-scraping adjustment which I did after reading your message. Just out of curiosity, why would the back LCD be showing the wrong info before the modification?

Last edited by wjax; 01-03-2013 at 01:45 PM.
01-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Okay, thanks. You would appear to be correct since all three displays show aperture info after the paint-scraping adjustment which I did after reading your message. Just out of curiosity, why would the back LCD be showing the wrong info before the modification?
Just a quirk of live view -- it defaults to something rather than nothing.

01-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just picked up a set of the Jessop extension tubes for my K-5. ------
------ I am curious if maybe the K-5 does not need the tube modification whereas the older Pentax cameras did?
If it is indeed a PKA extension tube, it has the electrical contacts required. Scraping anodizing away to secure electrical conductivity is only required with fully manual lenses, extenders, converters.