Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #1

Just got Katz Eye screen.

I just spent ~20 minutes with a Katz Eye screen in my K10D. Bottom line... this thing makes the old screen look like garbage. It's almost to the point where the micro-prism collar and the split-prism aren't even needed. For indoor shooting (my dogs) I think I may prefer focusing with just the matte screen... and, when shooting portraits, following the rule-of-thirds usually leaves the subjects face in the matte area anyhow, so everything works out well. In daylight conditions, the prisms will probably become more useful.

There is a much more noticeable separation between in-focus and out-of-focus. The subject pops into focus nicely. I just took a series of pictures in low-to-average light (at f/3.5, with FA50 & DA70) with ~75% success rate, whereas before it would have been ~25% using either AF or MF. My K10D AF works fine in daylight, but it couldn't find the proverbial haystack under artificial light (unless there is 200 watts of it).

When I took out the old screen I thought "piece of plastic", when I took the Katz Eye out of it's case I thought "that looks like real glass". Installation was easy.

This is where the Pentax Quick-shift system comes together with the Katz Eye in a great way. I set the K10D AF to engage using the rear AF button (and not the shutter button). Now, I can hit the AF button to use the AF to get me in the ballpark, then use manual focusing for precise adjustments thereafter (without having to disengage AF). Quick-shift lenses just got better for me.

This screen reminds me of the old days (my X-700 from 1983... which I still have), and I am VERY glad I bought it.

02-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was it pretty easy to install? And have you noticed any metering problems with it? I would love to get one of these, as i kinda enjoy manual focusing with my older primes.
02-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
A bracket unclips and swings open... use tweezers to pull out the old... put in the new... close the bracket... done. They send you access to online instructions with giant pictures. It takes five minutes.

I haven't tested the metering yet. That will be tomorrow. I shot in 'center-weighted' mode earlier.
02-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Cool, I'm interested to hear the results !! I did notice that my K10D is MUCH easier to manual focus than my K110D, the viewfinder is MUCH brighter and bigger.

02-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I got the other one folks talk about on here that you can get on ebay and I wasn't able to get it installed. I even took it to a camera shop and the owner couldn't get my clip to open either, so I gave up
02-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Sratman, I have a K110 also. It, with the DA40, is my 'point-and-shoot' camera. It's so small and light, I often prefer it over the K10. I got it so cheap there's no reason to ever get rid of it. It's a nice camera.

Colleen, the method for swapping the K100 screen isn't as simple because I don't think it was designed for interchangeable screens. I may come up against that because I thought about ordering one of they eBay screens for my K110 so I don't have to sink another $100 into this.
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For what I would get for it on the market, I will keep my K110D too, it is a bit better at high ISOs than the K10, and i can always use it as a 2nd body when I don't feel like switching lenses out in a dusty area.

02-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Wildboar,

I am about to order a Katzeye and was wondering exactly what options you got and would you order the same again or change the options?

Thanks,

I am undecided about the
02-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
I got the basic model with just the split-prism and the micro-prism ring. There is also a big circle etched on it. It's pictured on the website. Since I've only used it briefly, it's hard to say what I'd do different. I'm not sure why the circle is on there, and I would probably prefer it not be there. You could ask about it. I wasn't sure if any of the other grid marks would annoy me, so I didn't add anything.

I was just comparing the viewfinder from my 25 year-old Minolta X-700 to the K10D with the Katz Eye... all I can say is... WOW, things were great in the old days. The old full-frame viewfinders are so much bigger and brighter, and easier to focus. If you ever have a chance to compare side-by-side (if you haven't already), don't do it, it will depress you. Many people are crying out for full-frame sensors, I don't mind the APS sensor, but I'd LOVE a full-frame viewfinder again. One comes with the other, though, and someday I'll have both again.

I'm getting nostalgic now... maybe I should get some out-of-date slide film from the fridge and take this old camera out for a spin ;-)
02-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote

I was just comparing the viewfinder from my 25 year-old Minolta X-700 to the K10D with the Katz Eye... all I can say is... WOW, things were great in the old days.
Yeah, don't go comparing the new viewfinders with the old ones. It's not even close! My ME-Super is soooo easy to focus with, it's not even funny. But the split prism screen does help me with my k100d.
02-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #11

Nice to hear about positive first impressions of the KatzEye screens. Thinking of getting one myself, I was always a bit reluctant, because of some "complaints" of under/over exposing pictures with new screen... but I am now more and more confident, and will most probably go for it.

Regards,
Bostjan
02-20-2008, 04:09 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
I'm getting nostalgic now... maybe I should get some out-of-date slide film from the fridge and take this old camera out for a spin ;-)
Ta heck with that - get some fresh Fuji Velvia - leave the old stuff in the 'fridge!

The reason I don't use manual focus lenses on my digi's is because I end up second and third guessing perfect focus, and it gets tiring or I miss the shot. This looks promising.
02-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #13

Original Poster
J.Scott, I have Velvia AND Provia in the vegetable crisper drawer
02-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Hi wildboar
QuoteQuote:
I have Velvia AND Provia in the vegetable crisper drawer
Mmmm, yummy ! I'll be round for dinner later on. What are you serving for dessert ?....LOL

Best regards
Richard
02-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #15

Original Poster
Dessert?... How about a role of Kodachrome 25? I have one left.