Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Though I mostly use lenses without heavy airflow so maybe that's why the dust stays off for me.
That could very well be. In fact, now that you mention it, I do notice less dust in my cameras that use less "zooming".

On the other hand, the "dust catcher" feature (more marketing hype!) of these cameras still has me concerned. That's because it really doesn't get rid of the dust. The dust is still left in the camera along with everything else that happens to be floating about.

Now, granted, because it's collected by the "dust catcher" it's out of the way...for the moment.

But it's all still there...inside.

Keith

Last edited by KB1SFVE3; 01-11-2013 at 09:12 PM.
01-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's still in there but as long as it stays off my sensor it won't affect my images. I use a rocket blower sometimes to try to get some out and the dust removal helps me keeping the dust off the sensor between the "cleaning". I would say that as long as the dust doesn't affect the result I really don't care about it, because I know that there will always be dust inside my camera.
01-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
II would say that as long as the dust doesn't affect the result I really don't care about it, because I know that there will always be dust inside my camera.
Certainly another way to look at it.

I guess I'm more of a purist. My wife might say "anal"!

Keith
01-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dunno about the K20, but the K7 and K5 moved to ultra-sonic vibration for cleaning the sensor. If you can feel and loudly hear the camera vibrate, it is using the old useless shaker method. If you feel almost nothing and hear only a faint whine, then it is using the fantastic ultra-sonic vibration method.
I have needed nothing more than the RocketBlower for cleaning either of them over the past two to three years. Wet cleaning, artic butterfly, and certain that scary adhesive one (even though I'm positive that guy had all the necessary filtering to get pure clean air and no moisture, oil, etc...), have never been necessary.

I agree, I am not comfortable with the "dust catcher". It doesn't make sense how it could even work for more than a few days. Regardless, a good shot of air should get most of that out of the camera. Of course, unless you're using the filtered air setup like that guy in the first video is using, and you are in a clean-room... you're always going to be exchanging some amount of dust for another amount of dust. You just hope that new dust helps knock the old bigger dust off the sensor. :-)

01-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #20
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
. . . . and certain that scary adhesive one (even though I'm positive that guy had all the necessary filtering to get pure clean air and no moisture, oil, etc...), have never been necessary.
The guy was using dry nitrogen, out of the bottle in the video.

There should be no oil in the stuff coming out of that setup. The regulators never get oiled, and if you use a clean, new hose, perhaps even hospital grade hose, it should be pretty clean.

I get pretty much the same thing at my local welding supply house (but I am using welding grade nitrogen) and use it in my race trailer to run air tools and inflate tires while at the track. It beats having to install an air compressor in the trailer, and deal with the space that setup takes, and all the associated maintenance, and having to carry extra fuel for it. A large nitrogen bottle is about 65" tall and about 10" in diameter. It was a snap to build a cradle for it, and takes up very little room. And at around 2,600lbs of pressure when full, there is enough that it lasts a couple years of running 10 to 14 race meets a year.

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Of course, unless you're using the filtered air setup like that guy in the first video is using, and you are in a clean-room... you're always going to be exchanging some amount of dust for another amount of dust. You just hope that new dust helps knock the old bigger dust off the sensor. :-)
I didn't see any filtering devices on that bottle of nitrogen. Just a regulator, the hose, and the air dart. The nitrogen is pumped into the bottles at the gas plant having been thoroughly filtered and processed. It can be had as a welding grade of purity, or a hospital grade. I suspect the hospital grade is filtered to a greater degree than the welding grade, bet even the welding grade should be clean enough to use for blowing the dust off of a camera image sensor.

A person would just want to be sure and turn the pressure regulator down to a reasonable level, because at the full pressure coming out of the bottle it might blow the sensor right out of the camera!
01-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KB1SFVE3 Quote
All I know is that it the "dust removal system" simply doesn't work on any of my DSLRs (K-100, K-10 and K-20).
The K100D does not have a dust removal system.
01-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
The K100D does not have a dust removal system.
So that is why I had to use the rocket blower and the Delkin devices DigitalDuster DSLR Camera Sensor Cleaning Kit cleaning kit on my K100D on weekly basis.
Things have been different since K7/5, seldom need for that wet-cleaning stuff.