Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Hoya HMC(C) filter question

I have three Hoya HMC(C) UV filters. One was bought because it was a different size for a new lens I acquired, and not much more expensive (from a US ebay seller) than an uncoated filter; the others I upgraded to from uncoated filters - which I was otherwise content with - for a particularly flare-prone hostile environment. Without debating the wisdom of using UV/protection filters at all, or HMC(0) vs. HMC(C), vs. Pro, etc. etc....

Does anybody have one of these HMC(C) filters that does not appear to be multicoated? Two of mine scream multicoating, or at least significant coating - bright colored reflections from a point source of light like a bare bulb, such as you'd see in a lens. The glass in the other looks exactly like an old (not claimed to be multicoated) Hoya UV(0) filter from long, long ago. Physically (except for the size), the filters appear identical and came in the identical sealed packaging. Admittedly I can't find any reference to an authorized retailer selling a 77mm size of an HMC(C), which is the suspect filter in this case, but I think the HMC(C)s are going away in the US, so that might be the reason.

Thanks for any related information.

Paul

01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I have three Hoya HMC(C) UV filters. One was bought because it was a different size for a new lens I acquired, and not much more expensive (from a US ebay seller) than an uncoated filter; the others I upgraded to from uncoated filters - which I was otherwise content with - for a particularly flare-prone hostile environment. Without debating the wisdom of using UV/protection filters at all, or HMC(0) vs. HMC(C), vs. Pro, etc. etc....

Does anybody have one of these HMC(C) filters that does not appear to be multicoated? Two of mine scream multicoating, or at least significant coating - bright colored reflections from a point source of light like a bare bulb, such as you'd see in a lens. The glass in the other looks exactly like an old (not claimed to be multicoated) Hoya UV(0) filter from long, long ago. Physically (except for the size), the filters appear identical and came in the identical sealed packaging. Admittedly I can't find any reference to an authorized retailer selling a 77mm size of an HMC(C), which is the suspect filter in this case, but I think the HMC(C)s are going away in the US, so that might be the reason.

Thanks for any related information.

Paul

HMC stands for Hoya Multicoating. That should be what that is, assuming no fakery. (rummmage rummage.) OK, i have a UV filter in just that size that I thought might be Hoya, but is not. It also professes to be multicoated, but I can see no telltale colored reflections. I don't know why that is, but I presume there's no reason for two different brands to lie on the point. I haven't actually used this filter, ever, (Came with the appropriate lens, if I recall,) so I don't know what to tell you.
01-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
HMC stands for Hoya Multicoating. That should be what that is, assuming no fakery. (rummmage rummage.) OK, i have a UV filter in just that size that I thought might be Hoya, but is not. It also professes to be multicoated, but I can see no telltale colored reflections. I don't know why that is, but I presume there's no reason for two different brands to lie on the point. I haven't actually used this filter, ever, (Came with the appropriate lens, if I recall,) so I don't know what to tell you.
Thanks for your reply. I also have a Zeikos filter that was advertised to be multi-coated, but appears not to be. However it's not physically marked as being multicoated, so that's not entirely surprising. All three Hoyas look absolutely identical, and all are marked HMC UV(C), except that the coating on the one filter is clearly night-and-day different from the other. If it's fake, somebody did a very good job with the sealed packaging, printing on the ring, etc.

Paul
01-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Thanks for your reply. I also have a Zeikos filter that was advertised to be multi-coated, but appears not to be. However it's not physically marked as being multicoated, so that's not entirely surprising. All three Hoyas look absolutely identical, and all are marked HMC UV(C), except that the coating on the one filter is clearly night-and-day different from the other. If it's fake, somebody did a very good job with the sealed packaging, printing on the ring, etc.

Paul
Hrm, small world. it *is* a Zeikos that I have here that does not show signs of coating. I can't remember where I got it, to be honest. It either came along with the lens it fits or I picked it up with some other stuff and never really looked at it. (I only really use UV filters for bad weather or other adverse conditions and all) .... I don't know how much light this sheds on your Hoya, maybe someone counterfeited it out of something similar, is all I can think, barring other explanations.

01-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Upon further review, I think I should have phrased my question to ask if anyone else has a 77mm HMC UV(C) Hoya filter, and if so, does it appear multi-coated? It would be interesting to know if anyone has one that actually does appear multi-coated.

Paul