Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Little DIY For Pentax AF-540FGZ Flash

I finally got tired of my AF-540FGZ Flash swivel head being so loose. I googled it (and if someone here knows how to tighten it please let me know!) could not find any solutuion. One person had a similiar issue and sent it into Pentax and he said they tightened it. Don't want to be without it and get charged for that.

I am not a big flash guy , but do find the Pentax AF-504FGZ rather harsh. I have a couple of difusers. A STO-FEN Omni-Bounce and a older Gary Fong Lightsphere (cloud).. I bought the STO-FEN for size (now I find out they have a collapsible Lightsphere) and weight. The Lightshpere was just too heavy or my flash head was too loose to maintain anything but all the way up (pointing to the ceiling) or all the way down.

For whatever reason today I figured I would try and figure out some way to make to tighten the flash ,and voila

The last picture is what I used. I just cut off a small strip of an excel gum wrapper. So far so good. Not sure it will stand the test of time, but I did want to use the Lightsphere tonight so hopefully it lasts at least one day Time invested was about 48 seconds and cost is anywhere from nothing (find some thin cardboard around the house) to $2.00 (if you want to use Excel gum wrapper and have to buy some).

Pics are of cell phone quality - but they illustrate the point.

Edit : Dohhhhhhh this should have probably gone in the Flash and lighting section - PEBKAC error Mods feel free to move.

Last edited by daacon; 01-16-2013 at 03:55 PM.
01-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice job daacon. I've run into a similar problem when using my Better Beamer. With the beamer, I usually need to get the head to raise up just a little bit from the straight forward position - not even to the first "click" to get it aimed the way I want. Next time I use it I am going to try your trick. Thanks for the idea and pics!
01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And people say a wedgie is a bad thing.
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have to do this with my Yongnuo YN-560 when using heavy diffusers, those have very weak stops, sometimes I even need to lock the swivel. I wish they went a little further copying the Canon design and actually had the locks of the 580ex II.

01-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try stretching/wedging a rubber band in a strategic hinge gap. Offers good friction but still a soft material.

H2