Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

split prism focusing screen + magnifying eyepiece

Hola tod@s,

I've had a good look around on this forum and elsewhere and haven't managed to find anybody telling of using a split prism focusing screen in conjunction with a magnifying eyepiece. I cannot think of any reason why this would not work but would like to be certain that they're compatible before making a purchase.

Please tell me if there is something that I am completely overlooking or, if you are currently running such a set up, tell me how satisfying this coupling is.

Thank you for you time,
Now get back to your camera before she feels neglected.

01-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
jac
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do. Works for me on both the K20DS and K5.
01-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used that combination for some time on my k-x. The magnifying eyepieces 'shrinks' what you can see in the viewfinder so it is harder, but not impossible, to see some of the camera indicator lights. I did find that it helped with manual focusing.

I left the focusing screen in the k-x when I bought a k-5 and have not changed out the stock screen but I did take the eye piece along. I think the screen in the k-5 is much better than the in the k-x and have not needed to replace it yet.
01-20-2013, 04:46 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I used a magnifying eyepiece and Katzeye split prism screen on my *ist DS. The eyepiece was a Nikon something, I think DK-17M with a DK-21 eyecup, but I can't find that on the current Nikon web site. I got the Nikon because it was cheaper than the Pentax and just slightly less magnification. I thought that would be better since I wear glasses. It fit but not that easily. If I use it again I'll sand it down a bit to fit better. What I liked most about it was not the magnification, but the slight projection away from the camera back. DSLRs seem to be built for some noseless race of humans. The split prism helped me more than the magnification. I had no trouble seeing the viewfinder status line.

01-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your speedy replies. jatrax, I don't understand how a magnifying eyepiece can shrink what you can see through the viewfinder. Did you fit yours back to front?
01-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
jac
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Manual Quote
Thank you all for your speedy replies. jatrax, I don't understand how a magnifying eyepiece can shrink what you can see through the viewfinder. Did you fit yours back to front?
It crops the FOV slightly as opposed to 'shrinking' it. Same concept though.
01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use them together on all the bodies I regularly use for manual focus lenses (fast Adaptall SP's and SMC-M's). I value the O-ME53 magnifier over the split prism when used separately.

H2
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Manual Quote
Sorry, I tend to use imprecise speech sometimes. All I meant was that the field of view is cropped a bit and the outside edges are harder to see. Unfortunately that is where the camera indicator lights are located. They are not impossible to see, you just have to angle the camera a bit to see them. Inconvenient but not a show stopper.

01-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
jac
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sorry, I tend to use imprecise speech sometimes. All I meant was that the field of view is cropped a bit and the outside edges are harder to see. Unfortunately that is where the camera indicator lights are located. They are not impossible to see, you just have to angle the camera a bit to see them. Inconvenient but not a show stopper.
Yup
01-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use KPS 1.3 magnifier + Nikon K3 focusing screen from focusingscreen.com on my k-x and it works most of the time. I recently added magnifier and it did help improving keeper ration.
01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
hello guys, i'll be very straight.. i can't really afford to buy stuff online and then not liing it, beause most stuff has a lame return policy and i couldnt deal with the shipping.. i alredy have another thread in here but's its always good to hear other sugestions...

i have a pentax k20d and my fav lens thta i use all the time is the smc-m f1.4. but i can't focus most of the time, i have to use live view and it's slow because when you press the shutter it takes like half a second so it's kind of useless when taking pictures at shows...

i want the best solution for my lens, spot metering is all i care about, i could get a focusing screen and an eye piece, i just want to get my photographs like i see them in the viewfinder :'(