Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sling back hiking?

I am looking for a bag to take on hikes. I want a backpack I don't think sling bagsnwork well if you are climbing over rocks and stuff. I need it to fit my k30 and 3 lense and some other little stuff.

I was thinking the Tamrac Expedition 3 Would be good.

But the slings confuse me. How are they on a day hike? Seems like they are all you can find in a mid range bag. It's annoying.

01-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am in the same position as you, looking fora decent sized bag. I have a Case Logic slrc 205. I love it! I used it with aK-r and now the K5. I usually have a Tamron 28-75 mounted and there is room foranother lens in the side pouch. My only problem is that the side pouch is hugefor 1 lens but NOT dividable for 2 lenses so I have a foam square that Iinclude to keep 2 lenses from hitting each other. Not ideal!!!

As a grab and go bag for camera and sparelens it great as its comfortable to wear and easy to access gear. But for a dayout you have nowhere to put other items for the day.
Looking forward to seeingwhat responses you get myself. Good Luck
01-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

what lenses are you using? that's a rather important question. What's the budget? That's another important bit...
01-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
I don't want to spend more then $45 I am looking at used bags too it does not need to be new.

The lens I will be useing most 18-55mm 55-200mm 70-300mm maybe my little 50mm. I want it to hold my tripod too. It's a mid size tripod. It needs room for cords, memory cards, and filters.

What do you guys think of the sling bags? Are they good got hikes? Do they make your back hurt over time.

01-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The advantage of a sling bag is access time to your equipment (not having to put the bag down), not comfort.

You don't want to carry the load on one shoulder. Worse yet, for many sling bags, you can't change the load to the other shoulder.

I bought my Lowepro Slingshot 200AW about 5 years ago. It went out on a day hike once a few days after I bought it, then has been staying home ever since.

A backpack is much more comfortable. About equipment access time, during the hike, I carry the camera outside the bag any way.

If your budget is $45, and you can't find a used bag that you like, try Canon 200EG, AmazonBasics Backpack, or Vivitar DKS-18 (configured as a backpack).

(I'm using a Crumpler Sinking Barge, bought used for cheap. I highly recommend it, but it's not within your budget).

Last edited by SOldBear; 01-25-2013 at 07:42 PM.
01-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks. That was very helpful. Sling bags are out. I need something that will feel good on a 5 hour hike. A sling bag sounds like it would not work for me.

I too like to have my camera out when hiking but need it to be safe when climbing over rocks. I feel a sling could shift too much during climbs.
01-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Sling bags are good for walking from the car to a building and putting down again. Wouldn't go on a real walk with it unless it has very little in it or else your shoulder/neck will hurt. I require a backpack with a waistbelt for any real hiking. If I'm only taking one lens, I use my Ribz front pack only, which is marvelous...
01-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Backpack is they way to go. Whichever bag you choose, make sure the shoulder strap are well padded. Mine is too thick, after walking for a while, the strap starts digging into my shoulders.

01-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
I think the Tamarac expedition3 is the one. I found one used for a good price. It looks great for a day hike it will hold just about everything. I have a Tamarac bag from the early 1978 and it still looks and works great.
01-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #10

I use a Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L AW for hiking and it makes a good airport carry on as well. It has lots of space for everything, is very light, and has good straps. I found it comfortable on my recent trip to Mexico and it was not too hot. There is even room for a tablet.

Another alternative is a photo belt.
01-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't like them because I have to keep the strap tight to keep it from moving around and then can't slide the bag around to get to my equipment. A backpack is way easier.
01-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #12

Original Poster
After doing research I am going to go with the Lowepro fastpack 200. I was going to just get the cheapest bag I could find that would fit my stuff. Then I thought No I want a bag that will last many years so I am going to get a quality bag. The Fastpack has some storage space and will still hold all my camera gear. Seems like the perfect bag for me. I like the side open zipper too.

I was thinking of getting the flipside 200 but I don't think it will fit much but my camera.
01-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes. Fastpack 200 is a good backpack. It's not too big nor too heavy but can hold a lot of gears (I also have a copy of its big brother 350, but don't use it as often). The only problem of the 200 is that it does not have provision for a tripod.

I have a very light-weighed and compact (flat) Benro C1190T. This is how I carry it with the 200 (I sometimes store the ballhead inside the bag):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
01-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Yes. Fastpack 200 is a good backpack. It's not too big nor too heavy but can hold a lot of gears (I also have a copy of its big brother 350, but don't use it as often). The only problem of the 200 is that it does not have provision for a tripod.

I have a very light-weighed and compact (flat) Benro C1190T. This is how I carry it with the 200 (I sometimes store the ballhead inside the bag):
I had that idea use the flap for the tripod and rig something up. Good idea I like it. Thanks.
01-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #15

With those small lenses, you may want to go for a hip belt type instead. No tripod provision, but you can get a good hiking pole with monopod capabilities which works well for most of what I do. I use a real pack with a camera insert. I do find that with that pack, I use the optech clips to clip the camera to the D-rings on my shoulders which is stable and quite comfortable. With the gear that you mentioned, I'd leave the 50-200 or 70-300 at home since redundancy like that isn't really advantageous. 55-70 isn't that critical of a focal length that you need the overlap. If you have a legit hiking pack already, you can get something like a lowepro toploader for the inside of the back which is what I do instead of a normal camera insert since it can be used independently, then you can put one of the telephotos in a waterbottle pocket or something like this which can attach to your waist belt

Lowepro S&F Slim Lens Pouch 55 AW LP36257-0AM B&H Photo