Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #1

Sub 80eur tripod for a K20D

Hi guys, I am willing to buy a tripod for my K20D + 18-250 Tamron (and some m42 soviet lenses, the heaviest one may be the jupiter 9 85mm I guess).

So far I've seen this options

Mantona Makro Pro II:
Mantona Stativ Pro Makro II Dreibeinstativ: Amazon.de: Kamera & Foto

80eur shipping included to Portugal.

Mantona Scout

http://www.amazon.de/Mantona-Stativ-Kugelkopf-Schnellwechselplatte-Dreibeins...9200383&sr=8-2

70eur shipping included to Portugal.

Cullman Primax 190

Cullmann PRIMAX 190 Stativ mit 3-Wege-Kopf und: Amazon.de: Elektronik

48eur shipping included to Portugal.

Vista Attara

Amazon.com: Vista Attaras Grounder Tripod with FZ-10 3 Way Head, Supports 9 lbs, Extends 11" - 63".: Camera & Photo

80eur shipping included to Portugal.

Amazon.com: Dolica AX730P105 73-Inch Proline Tripod and Pan Head: Electronics

Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head

Amazon.com: Dolica AX730P105 73-Inch Proline Tripod and Pan Head: Electronics

68eur shipping included to Portugal, although I may pay taxes since it comes from USA.

Triopo-C-258

Triopo C-258 + KJ-2 Tripod Set / metal spikes/ max height 150cm /capacity:5,5kg | eBay

about 70eur.

Any suggestion?
Almost all of them have 4star review on amazon, but when you read the 1 star reviews it kinda gets scary, it seems that all "cheap" tripods are bad.

Last edited by skinnie; 01-26-2013 at 05:41 AM.
01-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skinnie Quote
it seems that all "cheap" tripods are bad
Not exactly all. One could find an above average monopod for about one hundred (u.s.). It just depends upon what you would want a tripod to do, but more importantly - how much weight both the tripod legs and also the tripod heard are capable of holding.

I personally do not mind a very heavy and well built tripod and/or one that can support at least 30 pounds - even if I have to lug an heavier than average tripod very far into the field.

On the flip side of the spectrum... I cannot begin to tell you how many people I see with above average priced camera outfits using tripods that are being far overburdened by them. Recently saw a D4 with a lens (sorry no exact specs on lens) that was large enough to have the tripod attached at the lens. The tripod was literally bending under the weight. An outfit well over 10k on a tridod of less than one hundred dollars.
01-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #3

I have the dolica and it works very well for a lightweight tripod. For the setup that you mentioned above, the Dolica 62" which is half the price of the 73" would be a great inexpensive option
01-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Velbon sherpa 200r

01-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Not exactly all. One could find an above average monopod for about one hundred (u.s.). It just depends upon what you would want a tripod to do, but more importantly - how much weight both the tripod legs and also the tripod heard are capable of holding.

I personally do not mind a very heavy and well built tripod and/or one that can support at least 30 pounds - even if I have to lug an heavier than average tripod very far into the field.

On the flip side of the spectrum... I cannot begin to tell you how many people I see with above average priced camera outfits using tripods that are being far overburdened by them. Recently saw a D4 with a lens (sorry no exact specs on lens) that was large enough to have the tripod attached at the lens. The tripod was literally bending under the weight. An outfit well over 10k on a tridod of less than one hundred dollars.
Thanks for the opinion.
I shake a little, so I guess a monopod isn't for me.
About the camera weight on cheap tripods, as an mechanical engeneering student I am aware of that =) Almost all tripods that I am watching support about 6KG, so +-2kg on each foot, it will meet the K20D+ Lens requirement.

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
I have the dolica and it works very well for a lightweight tripod. For the setup that you mentioned above, the Dolica 62" which is half the price of the 73" would be a great inexpensive option
Dolica seems very fine, but I guess I won't risk paying taxes (23% of the price) :/ but thanks for the input.

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
Velbon sherpa 200r
Didn't knew that one, thanks a lot, I can buy it for about 72eur, shipping included.
Do you have any experience with the other brands I mentioned?
01-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a Fancier FT-6662A on ebay last year for 60 euros, and i'm quite happy with it

I took this picture with it, 20 sec exposure on a bridge with a bit of wind and cars passing underneath, no blur :

Last edited by NickLarsson; 01-26-2013 at 09:24 AM.