Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Toshiba tablet as external monitor?

I'm researching external monitor options to use with my K-5. I've pretty much committed myself to a Lilliput 7" field monitor, but am trying to look at all possible options before I spend the money.

This is the Lillyput monitor I am thinking of:

Lillyput 7" Field Monitor

Now not knowing anything about video monitors at all, I got to thinking or why I couldn't use my tablet as an external monitor. It has a full size HDMI port, but I have no idea if this is for video out, or video in. If it would work as video in, I would be golden I am thinking.

Here is my tablet and specs:

Toshiba Thrive Specifications

The specs just say "full size HDMI port". So would this work as an external monitor for my K-5?

02-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #2

tablets are almost always HDMI out. Sorry.... This has been discussed before about other cameras, but if we had tethering capability it would work no problem. Join the club that is ticked that Pentax won't support tethering...
02-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
tablets are almost always HDMI out. Sorry.... This has been discussed before about other cameras, but if we had tethering capability it would work no problem. Join the club that is ticked that Pentax won't support tethering...
Thanks - I thought it might be a long shot for it to work. But I don't understand what tethering has to do with it - the Lillyput monitor is just a monitor with HDMI capabilities isn't it?

And if in fact this Lilliput monitor is just an HDMI monitor, why is it twice the price of a 19" desktop monitor?

I am just tying to find the most economical solution to having a small external monitor since our K-5's don't have an articulated screen.
02-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Sorry, I was responding re. using the tablet as a monitor.

Here's a video of the lilliput with a k5

As far as the price vs. a normal monitor. They have to put the battery packs in there as well as all of the connectivity. Compare it more to a 7" GPS unit than a monitor. Combine that with the relatively low sales volume in such a specialized product and it's going to be a relatively high margin on the sale, so the price isn't that high all things considered

02-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK - thanks for all the info Saxplayer - I will just continue with the purchase of the field monitor. I feel a little better about it now that I've learned that I can't use my tablet of laptop, and seeing the justification of the price.
02-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #6

yeah, it kind of sucks, especially because if tethering was an option you could use the tablet already...