Uhhmmm .... me too?
You getting a Katana?

02-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You getting a Katana?
I have one of your two ballheads. I helped trade you up to the Katana-compliant plates. I thought Lauren also bought one of the old heads from you.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-06-2013 at 03:56 PM.
02-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Uhhmmm .... me too?
Katana too/2?!?!

02-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too funny!!!! Katana users anonymous!!!

02-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Too funny!!!! Katana users anonymous!!!
Actually I am confused. But what else is new. I just traded up to ballheads and obsoleted my RC0 plates and now you all tempt me with Gimbals and Arca Swiss.

I'm going on a buying hiatus.
02-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually I am confused. But what else is new. I just traded up to ballheads and now you all tempt me with Gimbals.
Ah...Crew and I are Katana users...although I *did* pick up Crew's other Manfrotto head if that is what you mean.

If tempting is too much, you might want to stay away from the Katana page.
Crew's doing his own write up on it I hear.
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep - I have something planned for a writeup too. No telling yet though.

02-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A wrench--or two--thrown into the mix. I received my 3lb tripod legs, but the shipping weight said 10lbs on the package

Well, there's your problem:

It happened to come with my second choice of ball head Although heavily used, everything is working fine. I freaking stole it off Amazon so condition isn't paramount. The legs are in much better shape than the head, anyway.

But here's wrench #1: The previous owner Gorilla Glued the head to the center column! Wrench #2, I have a head in the mail I can't otherwise use unless I buy a second column or figure out a way to separate the two parts. Plus, I'm betting the Allen screw hole in the head is stripped, hence the glue. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to keeping this as it sits for a lighter-weight load, or for flipping it upside down since it's the 12" column.

I've been searching for a couple hours trying to figure out if this model of tripod can accept a flat plate, and can't find a definite part or part number. Anyone know? The large screw that secures the column appears to be a permanent part of the legs--there is a threaded "stack" that screw goes onto.
02-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #24
Pentaxian

#1:
This help?
GT2540

If not:

#2:
Get yourself a pair of oven mitts and a kettle. Then, have yourself a weenie roast with the ballhead over the steam that comes pouring out of the kettle's opening. The steam should have more heat energy than the boling water itself. (Because... science... 'n stuff).
Considering that (1) most glues break down at extreme temperature, and (2) your metal ballhead will expand at a different rate than the material it's connected to (ie: the glue) there's a good chance that the bond will be broken and you can screw the ballhead off once your ballhead gets thoroughly heated. Slap on those oven mitts and give it a good twist.

Still no good?

Gorilla glue is polyurethane based, so it should be broken down by alcohol.
You could go down to your local dollar store and stock up on a couple of bottles of rubbing alcohol, dump them in a mixing bowl and toss in your ballhead. Then let the whole thing sit outside over night. As an unwanted side effect, this would strip any lube the ballhead has; but, it might just solve your glue problem too. You could always re-lube the ball afterwards. Alcohol is both readily vaporizing and flammable. If this is the route you go, keep the whole shabang outside.

Just some thoughts

...and might I point out, you have some beautiful legs, Ryan.
Ha!

Last edited by Gerbermiester; 02-07-2013 at 11:15 PM.
02-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #25
Pentaxian

After many years of these exact same questions I ended up with this..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/174187-my...lots-pics.html
02-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Sounds like you have a few options here.

Since it sounds like you got it at a great price, and the head that is permanently attached was your second choice of heads, I would just use it as is rather than trying to separate the head from the center column. All you would have to do is return the head that you have incoming.

I looked at the parts diagram, but find it difficult to see if the center column is available separately. I did just that with my Manfrotto 055xprob - ordered a second center column so I can switch heads easily as I use a ball head and a gimbal. It was easy for me as the Manfrotto center column was readily available and the cost wasn't that bad at all.

There must be a reason that someone glued that head on. I think if you try to remove it, you won't be able to install another head anyway.
02-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gerbermeister, thanks for the tips! I had looked at the parts diagram previously but couldn't find any of individual items via Bing. After some more searching, I know I'm missing the lower hook/safety ring thing. And after yet more searching on finding a short column, I saw pics and confirmed via the parts diagram that there is/was no set screw holding the ball head aside from the 4/20" the head screws onto the column with. Locked the pano function down tightly a couple minutes ago and gave it some muscle...off it came It appears the "Safe Lock" disc was either reglued at one point, or Gitzo did a really sloppy job on it.

And thanks for the leg compliment, I work out

cmohr, I'll take a gander through the oeccamera store when I get a chance. A macro focusing rail would be ideal since I finally have a tripod worthy of use It looks like you have a super versatile range of options. I didn't know a flash bracket like that existed...

Stan, I've found some options for shorter center columns though they are quite pricey. Since it's a CF pod, and has the name "Gitzo," they range from $80-145. Rather than double-triple the amount I'm already over budget, I'm going to get the updated ground level kit:

Bonus, it comes with the weight hook for the bottom of the column. That seems like the ticket. Long column and short column for any situation
02-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The ground level kit will serve the same purpose. Glad you got it figured out.
02-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd like to thank everyone for chiming in, and it's time to give some impressions on this setup!

First, the Feisol CB-40D is great. It holds steady at literally any angle. The screws get tight but the adjustments are still smooth. The friction knob is impossible to use, however. It's shallow and has a very stiff movement past "half tight" which is extremely difficult to crank backwards. I leave it set around halfway which allows enough freedom of movement yet doesn't let the camera fall down. Feisol's QR plate has offset safety slots in the bottom, so you can slide the camera forward if you mount a teleconverter or grip to recenter the weight.

There's a couple small things I love in the Feisol which the Gitzo G1278M does badly. One is the Feisol's QR plate actually gets tight. The Gitzo's just isn't grippy and there's a spring pin which sticks up and that makes it hard to begin threading the plate into a camera/lens collar. It simply doesn't stay where you put it. Also, the Gitzo is about 1" taller but it's heavier--yet the ball diameter is smaller than the Feisol. I do prefer the Gitzo's lever cranks when gloves are used, however. I find the Gitzo's ball lock knob offers a finer amount of adjustment.

Second, I purchased a GS2320K Ground Level Kit used from B&H. The kit includes the following, L to R:

Allen wrench for set screws to lock tripod head to mounting disc, safety screw/weight hook, dual-threaded head disc screw, Safe Lock head disc...

It assembles like so: Dual-threaded screw goes into the disc, weight hook threads into the bottom...

Now why is this useful? One, most tripods have a center column. This is a problem with the legs splayed wide if you want to keep the camera low to the ground. Only two legs are touching the floor! Also, lowering the center column when inverted still poses the same instability issue as when extended upwards.

Problem solved!

It can also be flipped over to get the camera super close to the ground (imagine this is an FA* 200 macro instead! )

I could throw together a video review of the Feisol head is anyone would find it useful.
02-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks for the pics and details - I really like the ground level kit. I can get a short center column for my Manfrotto 055xbpro, but not nearly as elegant and useful as your kit.