Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Foam?

Does anyone know where, in the Toronto area, you can get that semi-dense anti-static foam that can be custom cut for gear often found in those hardcases? Also, how much do they go for? The clerk at the shop I recently visited didn't have a clue.

Thanks.

01-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Does anyone know where, in the Toronto area, you can get that semi-dense anti-static foam that can be custom cut for gear often found in those hardcases? Also, how much do they go for? The clerk at the shop I recently visited didn't have a clue.

Thanks.
Hi Alvin

did you try Micheals arts and crafts?

Michaels, The Arts & Crafts Store

cheers

randy
01-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Randy, good idea! I know they have floral foam but I didn't check for other types. I'll try to report back on this. Any other spots?
01-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Randy, good idea! I know they have floral foam but I didn't check for other types. I'll try to report back on this. Any other spots?
the only outside chance place would be Curry's Art Supplies Online Store
I think they sell some, but might not be the thickness you want unless you somehow glue it together.

cheers

randy

01-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #5

what about a Foam Shop, or look in the yellow pages for such a place under foam or upolstory. I bought some last May. It's about 1" thick X about 18" X about 40" and it cost about $55 taxes in, if I recall correctly, in Vancouver. It's the really dense premium stuff. It is sold here by the size you need based on a square ft price. It's better than some stuff I have seen in gear cases.
01-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still looking around, tried Michael's no luck. Also tried Canadian Tire, Rona, Home Depot, Loomis Arts and Crafts.

JNorth - Thanks for the tip. Maybe I was looking up the wrong category. Upholstery. Ok, got that noted.

Oh - if anyone is curious - I want to stuff a duffle bag (or other bag of my choice) with the foam and cut spots for my camcorder, my Pentax cam and all the gear I've got for them. I don't like going places with so many bags (right now, my camcorder bag, camera pouch and bag for tapes and accessories) and with most of the bags I've seen in the stores, I don't like the selection - doesn't seem to suit my needs, so I want to go custom.
01-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #7

Something like this:
Sound Proofing, Sound Proofing Foam, Acoustical Foam

Mattress (pads), camping / sporting good (bed rolls) stores also carry "egg crate" foam cushions that may have what you are looking for to cut up.

01-14-2007, 12:44 AM   #8

I plan on doing the same -- but for use with a messenger bag. I'd like to make a cut out just for the k100d and short lens so that it is protected.
01-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help, guys. A search in yellow.ca for upholstery turned up about 6 or 7 foam places here - don't know if they sell to public, but I'll keep you posted. Now I've got to look for a good bag at the Dixie Value Mall.
01-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
Forum Member

jnorth, where in Vancouver did you get the foam?
01-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
McMaster-Carr would have it... Type "Foam" and its under "Sheets, Bars, and Strips" up to 4" thick...

Regards,
D
01-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Kami Quote
jnorth, where in Vancouver did you get the foam?

the foam shop:
north van
kits
east van
Po Co
richmond
langley

foamshop.com