Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #1

Gorilla Pods

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anybody use a Joby Gorillapod? I'd like a tripod but I'm not pro or anything and something light that I can easily carry and that doesn't take too much setting up really appeals...anybody use the SLR Zoom one with ballhead?

02-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-30 in London Quote
Anybody use a Joby Gorillapod? I'd like a tripod but I'm not pro or anything and something light that I can easily carry and that doesn't take too much setting up really appeals...anybody use the SLR Zoom one with ballhead?
i got one....works great when you'tr looking for something small
i think this is the one i have but need to check it when i get home...doesn't have a level though
...i've had mine for a least a year if not longer
Amazon.com: Joby GP3 GorillaPod SLR-Zoom Flexible Tripod + BH1 Ball Head with Bubble Level: Electronics
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I always have a Gorilla Pod with me.
They are no substitute for a *real* tripod, but they come in handy when needed and work wonders for handrails and other unique situations.
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #4

i i have a generic one without the ballhead. It works well for awkward settings and is nice if you don't need height, but it's not really all that useful compared to a normal tripod or monopod for generic use. It is only a foot or so tall which is really limiting for landscapes and what not. You're better off with something like this
Dolica ZX Series 60" Carbon Fiber Tripod with Balanced Ball Head ZX600B300
or Dolica 68 inch Proline Tripod and Pan Head AX680P104 which while a bit bigger, are much more useful.

Real question, is why do you think you need a tripod? Most of the dslrs out there now, yours included, don't really need tripods unless you're doing macro work or long exposure. The higher iso ranges are quite usable and with the shake reduction built into the body of your camera all of your lenses have less blurry images than without SR.

Digital Killed My Tripod
There's a good article to read to see if it is really worth carrying a tripod with you.

02-08-2013, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
Digital Killed My Tripod
There's a good article to read to see if it is really worth carrying a tripod with you.
LOL. Ken Rockwell. Ok, read the above article, but he's totally off his "Rocker-well".
In the above article Ken doesn't even qualify his outrageous posts, he just goes off on tripod use!

A tripod is indispensable for video or slides (Slides as in dolly-slides, not the film/carousel kind).
A tripod allows for testing different exposures/techniques lenses from the exact same location.
A tripod allows people to move out of a scene you are waiting for.
A tripod allows for mirror-lock-up and long exposures.
A tripod allows for use of ND filters and long exposures.
A tripod allows for effective HDR photography (which I don't like)
A tripod allows for long focal lengths.
A tripod allows for use of a Gimbal.

There are so many uses for a tripod, I can't even begin to state them all.
02-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you want a Gorillapod and a level you can always slip a level into the hotshoe on your camera.

There are very simple (and cheap) ones that are unobtrusive, like this:

and there are more complex (and pricey) ones like this:
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I love my Gorrillapod. I have the larger model with the included ball head (I think it is the SLR model w/head). The head isn't the best of quality, but it's not something that I use everyday or all day. I keep one in my truck all the time - can easily configure it to grab on to the top of the door with the window open, or put on my side view mirror. It's an amazing little device in that you can configure the legs to easily sit on uneven ground, on a rock, or even hanging from a tree branch.

Even though in this pic I have a fairly small camera mounted (Panasonic GH2 w/100-300 lens), I would easily trust it with my K-5 and a smaller lens like the DA 50-200 or DA 55-300.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:36 AM.
02-08-2013, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a quick shot, where the Gorillapod came to the rescue.
I used the car mirror, and wrapped the Gorilla pod around it.
Shot with my K5.

02-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the largest one. Hook one leg over your shoulder and rest the other two on your chest. Much more convenient than any 'gunstock' style support.

H2
02-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pacerr! Long time, no see. How are you?

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I have the largest one. Hook one leg over your shoulder and rest the other two on your chest. Much more convenient than any 'gunstock' style support.

H2

(And I don't really have anything useful to say about Gorillapods, except that some of the cheaper knockoffs may not be worthwhile. Except that if they fail to suit as camera support, they might be darn useful for lighting and stuff. )
02-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use these for attaching wireless flash units to trees and buildings - never underestimate them!

I use my tripod regularly - ignore the "advice" from Ken Rockwell, I feel sorry for anyone who takes him seriously.
02-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #12

to each his own on Ken and the use of a tripod. I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but he makes a valid point in this article. Unless you have large heavy lenses, require long exposure times, or are shooting macro, a tripod is not usually needed for carrying around all the time. The iso performance in our cameras, as well as the SR give us much better shutter speeds than in the past, and if you are shooting a 2.8 or faster lens, you're getting oodles of light to the sensor. We have no idea what lenses are being used or any idea as to what the shooting style of the OP is. A gorillapod is a great accessory but no substitute for a normal tripod in most circumstances because it wasn't designed to be. It was designed to latch onto weird objects where you can't set up a normal tripod easily. Group shots and landscapes? probably a bad idea with a gorilla pod unless you can magically conjure up a post to wrap it around since the thing is so short. City shooting? No tripod really needed except for long exposure, and even then, the gorillapod is usually wrapped to something that isn't rock solid so for the real long stuff they're not the best option.

Carry a monopod if you need to move quickly, carry a light tripod if you need it for some of the above mentioned situations, and carry a heavy one if you really need one. A cheap tripod lives in my car all the time, my trekking poles have monopod threads on the top, and I have a solid Induro for when I really need it, but the tripods don't come with me most of the time because they do get in the way. Oh, most important accessory when using a tripod is a trigger release. Wired or not, it will generally make much better images than if you have your hands on it and risk causing a vibration

Last edited by Saxplayer1004; 02-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.
02-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love my gorillapod, but it's getting old and worn now. The legs now bend under the weight of my K5 and DA 15 ltd.
02-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have this eBay knockoff with an old German Rowi mini ballhead and it's very handy. I bought it to tote around with the Pentax Q, but it's stable enough to hold an SLR with a moderate-weight lens. Mine measures about 9 inches tall minus the head, so it's plenty small enough to carry around.

I've looked at the genuine Joby Gorillapods and from what I can tell, the knockoffs are identical except for the price tag.
02-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I just borrowed one this past week to try out. Do not see how it would replace a tripod for most uses but it sure looks like it can do things that a tripod cannot do well. Which is probably why there are different things to mount a camera on and different types of tripods. I would not want to be without owning a tripod however most of my digital shots are without one. Just ordered a small but strong lightweight tripod for our upcoming trip to Cuba and trying to decide if we will take the gorillapod along as well. From the hotel we are staying at it looks like the pool is on the roof and has very little space between it and the railings but should be decent views of downtown Havana. This appears to me a place for the gorillapod at night. I am not a fan of shooting high ISO wide open unless the image calls for it (too many years shooting film perhaps). Plus there are two of us shooting.

There are photographic items such as tripods, reflectors etc that you may wish to slowly build up your kit with as they come in very useful or absolutely necessary when needed and you can use for decades. Our Manfrotto 055 tripod turns out to have cost us about $10 per year amortized over the period of time we have had it and that might go down to half by the time we are too old to be able to use it. You do not have to be a pro to need a tripod and not all pros use them, it depends more on your style and needs.

Drwrm

Thanks for the reminder to through a spirit level into our kit for Havana if we take the gorillapod. I would not have thought of it. The Sirui tripod has built in ones (if it gets here on time)