Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
16GB SDHC card!

Panasonic will bring one out this year. Holy cow. I think I saw somewhere that CF and SD were designed to go to 32GB. What happens then? We are only a year or two away at this pace. Put a 16GB in the K10D and another spare in the grip and shoot all month! Wonder how much $$$$?
thanks
barondla

01-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You can guarantee they'll be around the $1000 mark *per* card. Which is ridiculous, of course.

I'll stick with 1GB and 2GB cards, and save my money for a decent Epson P-4000 portable storage unit...
01-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well that's kind of amazing. When I first started with computers I had a 10 MEG hard drive, and I thought at the time "Who could possibly use 10 megs?" This was back in the "text only" days of course. So 16 gigs on a piece of plastic smaller than a postage stamp. Pretty incredible. To be truthful tho, I doubt I'd get one. I organize my shots by date and place, and as soon as I finish shooting for the day the SD card gets downloaded to my rig and reformatted, ready for the next time I go out. Even shooting raw on my DS, I've never filled more than two 2gb cards, and I've got 3 plus a bunch of 1gb cards (people keep giving them to me for christmas presents) so I'm set for the forseeable future. If I ever start taking over 500 shots in a day I might think about it, but not for now.

NaCl(of course there's always "who would ever use 10 mgs of memory?" )H2O
01-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I bet that two years from now, 8 and 16G b cards will be farily normal.

And I still remember the days when I had a Palm m505: I kept on asking myself if I should get a 32Mb or 64Mb SD card for it The 64Mb was "huge" at the time, yet expensive ($100 dollar range), while the other was a bit more affordable...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My mom STILL uses a camera that STILL has a 64 MB card in it.

16GB for my camera just isn't practical... Someday it might be useful for cameras. Not these days.
01-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I started with computers we pushed one end in or out and moved the cursor by hand. I still have a working copy of the larger version of the device:post

Interestingly, storage for this 'computer' is still largely un-measurable. Pooh on 16GB.
01-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
16GB for my camera just isn't practical... Someday it might be useful for cameras. Not these days.
Here's what the future should bring: built-in memory (20GB for instance) and wireless file transfer between the PC and camera.

Or better yet, photoshop CS right in your camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
built-in memory (20GB for instance) and wireless file transfer between the PC and camera.
No doubt the future will probably bring these two. However, by the time they actually roll around, they'll be as laughable as current 19-56MB and wifi features on some of the current crop of p&s cameras. Wireless transfer schemes have a loooonng way to go.
01-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm limping along on 3 x 1G cards for now, which gives 98 RAW shots per card. I haven't shot more than 2 cards in a day yet.

I may eventually get a 2G or 4G card, but I'm leary of putting all my eggs in one basket.
01-08-2007, 04:39 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I can see the future holding many advances for all of us, a 32gig card is very much among them. I sit here and read about your fascination with this but you all know the future will hold the wonders of our time (and not only in cameras.) Many people would have use for this card at present but for those who don't have the need what good will it do us to have a card we will never use at present. I know from our past forum get togethers and photo shoots I will use as much as 8gig and still wish for more. I know on one shoot we all ended up at Wal-mart to get more cards. I think a 32 gig card would be an advantage in the future but for the present I don't think I'll go over a 4 gig card at a time.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
01-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
When I started with computers we pushed one end in or out and moved the cursor by hand. I still have a working copy of the larger version of the device:post

Interestingly, storage for this 'computer' is still largely un-measurable. Pooh on 16GB.
That brings back memories....

I've still got one in my desk drawer, but I'm not so quick with it anymore (the processor has slowed down).

dave