Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #1

Good range Remote under 10$ - Bower, JJC or uWinKa?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,
I'm looking for a remote for my Pentax K-x, under 10$ with shipping to Europe.
I had find those one:
Bower RCS
JJC RM-E7
uWinKa RC-P7.

Now I have JYC ML-P, for 1$, but it's unreliable Which one will be best quality & range?

02-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I got this one for 1,5$ on eBay Never let me down so far. At that price, what's the risk?

IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K 7 K x K R K5 K10D K20D K | eBay
02-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
bdery, This is the one, I already have. Yesterday, at 1 celcius outdoor, it was a lottery - couple of shots it was working, than not for a minute, and again working.

Bower RCS Infrared Remote Switch for Pentax Digital Camera K100 K20 K110 K10D | eBay
Cowboystudio IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax Q Pentax DSLR RM E7 | eBay
IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax Camera | eBay
02-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
There are two problems with the IR remotes and current Pentax bodies- working distance and working angle.

The sun puts out a LOT of high intensity IR radiation. There is some coding sent from the remote to distinguish it from other IR sources, but the sun is so strong that the remote's signal becomes just a whisper. Like any radio or light wave, the inverse square law applies to how much signal can punch through to the camera's receiver. In short, IR remotes work best in the confined spaces of the family parlor, and poorest on a wonderful day in the open spaces of the park.

Then there is the working angle. The strongest signal will be when the remote's transmitter is pointed directly at the camera's receiver. At any distance, the remote becomes part of the image frame.

And that folks is why I modified an IR remote to place a trigger button some place other than on the remote itself.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html
This is not a hard project, it doesn't take hours on end to make, it doesn't take a huge amount of skill or tools, and it is inexpensive.

The other thing is an electrical switch is a switch is a switch. You don't have to plug in a momentary contact button. You can plug in almost any currently available photographic release that works by wire.

02-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Jim,

I bet you you can make your wired remote control RF wireless if needed: link.

Your modified remote control already has an input port, just add an RF control.
03-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Jim,

I bet you you can make your wired remote control RF wireless if needed: link.

Your modified remote control already has an input port, just add an RF control.
I'm sure you are fully correct. So long as the RF receiver activates a switch, it becomes the 'wired' part that plugs into my modified IR remote. You close the switch in the receiver using a matching RF transmitter.

It gets to sounding like a Rube Goldberg setup, but I could see using the recently reviewed Cactus LV5 laser remote, feeding into an RF remote, feeding into the modified IR remote to capture unattended wildlife photos. And since I'm on a roll... let's add a remotely triggered flash.