Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need help with lens and camera case to fit in a hunting pack

I have recently purchased the Eberlestock X2 backpack that I will use for my hunting trips. Since I might as well use it to carry my camera and lenses both on the hunting trips and just as a camera bag, I am looking for some suggestions on a few things.

First, as you can hopefully see, the backpack has these "batwing" flaps that are designed to hold water bladders or spotting scopes or tripods. They are two zippered compartments that swing out to also reveal flap pockets on the inside. What I think would work great for me would be some sort of tubular case that would hold a couple of larger lenses like a 55-300 and a 18-135. What I am thinking of is something along the lines of the case for the full set of Limited lenses but bigger. Anyone seen something like this? At most I think I would only be carrying a couple of lenses and the 55-300 and the 18-135 would be the biggest. One of which would probably be on the camera but I want to have space for both just in case.

I know I could just get regular lens cases for each of the lenses but this would only work when they were stored within the enclosed compartment of the wing.
As exampled in the picture below, there may come a time where I need to use the enclosed compartment of the wing for storing other gear and it would be nice to have a contained case that could be stored in the flap like the spotting scope is below.

Perhaps something like this with a divider placed between the lenses? The only problem I see here is at least the lowepro cases seem to get wider as they get longer. This would just add bulk that I wouldn't need.

Lowepro Lens Case 11 x 26cm (Black) LP36306-PAM B&H Photo Video

or

Think Tank Photo Lens Changer 75 Pop Down V2.0 (Black) 178 B&H

Second, either within the second batwing or inside the packs main compartment, I would like a place to store both my K-30 and Q both with small (35mm f2.4 on the K-30) lenses attached. Currently in the freebie bag that came with the K-30 I have them stored like this with the 55-300 on the K-30 with the hood reversed. Then again, would I be safer transporting the cameras with the lenses off when they are put away in the pack to avoid any damage caused by a drop or a fall? If that were the case then I would need a slightly different configuration.

I have seen some people reference some modular dividers but I don't think I have seen any that really fit this situation for the long, narrow(ish) batwing pocket. Inside the main compartment I could fit one of the modular systems but the main compartment is top load only so it kind of limits accessibility at times. Also, when the camera(s) were out of the pack, I would like to have the ability to compress the modular divider so I could still have it but not waste the space. Are any of the modular systems completely flexible where they could be folded up when not in use? Do any of the pull out systems have their own lids? It seems most of them are just padded dividers that go into other bags but don't necessarily have their own containment.

The pack has plenty of other pockets and features that will allow me to store all my other accessories and gear. Mainly I just want a bare bones case for the lenses and a simple modular divider system for the camera(s).

Also, in searching the internet, I did find a few sites where people had made their own make-shift lens cases out of foam or other materials but that would really be a last ditch option.

Once I get the backpack I will be able to get the dimensions of the wings to help the decision process but they are fairly large. Unfortunately I don't have very many camera shops around so there aren't many places to see examples of the products I am asking about. Thus, I rely on the experience of the members of this forum. Thanks in advance.

03-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you could always make your own dividers.

or try these

V090 ? Medium Top-opening Module

Mountainsmith Kit Cube
03-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I may try to make my own dividers or possibly try out the trekpak. The backpack arrives tomorrow so I will update with some photos on how the stuff needs to fit.