Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Broken lock on SD card. Any way to fix it?

I have 1GB SD card in which I somehow managed to brake the lock slider. Now the card is read-only in camera and in the USB reader. I have tried the old floppy hack where you use scotch tape but the tape makes the card stuck and hard to remove from the camera. Now every time I take the card out, I have to put new patch of scotch tape.

Any other way to fix it? I know that SD cards are cheap but it would be a waste to just throw it out.

Thanks.

02-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only thing that comes to mind would be to fashion a piece of plastic to the same size and shape, then super glue it to the card (acrefully!)
02-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depends on how it was broken, epoxy glue could be a more permanent fix if used properly.
02-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Curious as well...the tab is just...gone. The card never left the grip either

02-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The tab (switch) is just gone. I do not have it anymore. So in order to fill the gap, I need to find something that fits. Looks like too much work. I think I will put some movies on it so I have a spare entertainment card for my PDA in case my kid gets bored on a plane or something.

Thanks for all the replies.
03-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #6

You can probably find a 16Mb card that comes with point-and-shoot cameras around your house (or ask a friend), gut it to get the lock switch and somehow stuff it in the broken card.
03-03-2008, 06:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I can find an old small capacity card and use it as a part donor. Thanks.
03-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha yea that same thing just happened to me last week and the tab bounced off the table into obilivion when I was trying to put it back into the card. My card is hopelessly stuck in the lock position.

=(

03-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Haha yea that same thing just happened to me last week and the tab bounced off the table into obilivion when I was trying to put it back into the card. My card is hopelessly stuck in the lock position.

=(
Try the old simple floppy drive hack. Just use scotch tape to tape over the area where the lock was. I can use my card this way, but like I said, it jams when I take the card out.