Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
LowePro Slingshot 100

Just a few shots of the "Lowepro SlingShot 100 All-Weather Digital Camera Backpack"...

Front view:

Side view:

Rear view:

Pentax K110D (with lens), inside the bag:

Since I'm right-handed and use a cane, this bag is perfect for me as it makes carrying my gear (what little there is) a cinch. The bag is roomy enough for my camera, a lense (or two), extra batteries, cleaning kit, etc. It even has an "all weather" pouch that covers the whole bag if you're ever in need of it (pulls out from a "hidden" slot on the bottom of the bag).

Overall, a very nice camera bag...convenient and ergonomically designed. Two thumbs up!

01-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the 200, great bag..
01-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I too find the Slingshot series really convenient. The second strap (third arm) makes for a comfortable pack on longer hikes.

The Slingshot 200 is larger than I first thought as, after playing with the foam and velcro baffles, I can now comfortably fit a 190mm long lens in the bottom. The difference between the two bags is in this 'sideways on the back' dimension.

While the short lenses fit in the compartments as it came in standard layout I had to play around for a while before I could get the longer lens in when not fitted to the camera. Still can fit 3 other lenses plus one fitted to the camera plus still heaps of space for all the other stuff and filters that you carry as well as a flashgun. This makes a nice snug kit with camera readily available. Still looking for a way to attach mid size tripod. Any ideas?

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 01-09-2007 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Fix redundancy
01-09-2007, 04:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I found one HUGE problem for me - it is only for right-handers.

01-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I found one HUGE problem for me - it is only for right-handers.
Wait a second, bro. I'm a lefty and haven't had any problems with my slingshot. I'm surprised that you're adapted enough to shoot a camera, but you have problems with a bag.
01-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #6

I was playing with my Slingshot 200 last night. I repacked it to where I can have my K10D with grip with my long, but not best lens, 80-320 mounted, I can get my 100, 28-200, 1.4X teleconverter, and my DS with 16-45 mounted (or the 28-200) in the bag, and when I want to pull out the 10D the rest want fall out. I can even get at the DS without too much difficulty, but without loosing the rest of the gear. I can also nest my 10-17 between a couple lens hoods in the top compartment, and batteries and polar. filters in the front compartment. I just haven't yet convinced any of my boys that carrying the bag for me would be really cool and is the first step that takes a good 3 or 4 years practice before they too can take lousy pictures like dad, but I'm still workin that angle too.

The Slingshot 200 is proving my initial reaction to it's size was wrong. I orginally thought it needed to be a bit bigger. It's proven to be big enough, or so big that I need to be way more conservative in what I pack.
01-18-2007, 03:13 AM   #7

I have a 100 too. Great bag.

01-18-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
Wait a second, bro. I'm a lefty and haven't had any problems with my slingshot. I'm surprised that you're adapted enough to shoot a camera, but you have problems with a bag.
You're right of course but, I have been handling a camera since circa 1964 and the slingback only 2 or three times. I bought it last year, used it twice.

It's design is completely anti-left-handers.

Going off topic:

On the other hand (excuse the pun) I cannot use right-handed scissors with my left and don't know how to use a mouse with the left.

And the main reason why I hate IE7 - can't move the back button to the right of the window anymore.
01-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
It's design is completely anti-left-handers.
I recognize that bags are highly personal things, but I wish you'd state why the bag didn't work for you, especially as a lefty, rather than give a blanket statement.

As a southpaw, I love the fact that I can swing the bag around to the front with my dominant hand. My gear is safer in crowds of idiots (who don't understand the concept of personal bubbles) under my left arm than under the weaker right. Also, considering that I pretty much have to hold the camera with my right hand, it's a real advantage to be able to quickly close up the zippers and swing it back with the more dexterous hand once I've yanked the camera out.

If anything, I'd think the right-handed would have more trouble (for once!), but the slingshot is awfully popular. Are you just being contrary for the sake of it? If you genuinely didn't like the bag, that's cool, but using it twice doesn't give it much of a chance.
01-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
Also, considering that I pretty much have to hold the camera with my right hand, it's a real advantage to be able to quickly close up the zippers and swing it back with the more dexterous hand once I've yanked the camera out.

If anything, I'd think the right-handed would have more trouble (for once!)
You got it - I'm right-handed, and have a 200. It's no problem to swing around, but I have yet to figure out what to do with the zippers. If I'm in a hurry, I'll often shoot for a bit with the bag sitting across my chest - it's not exactly comfortable and I suspect I look like a complete idiot. Now that I think about it, though, I'm not sure being a lefty would help - I have trouble getting the zips around the corners with either hand with it stuffed under my armpit like that!

My main beef about the bag is long-term comfort. I got it for hiking, instead of stuffing lenses etc. higgledy-piggledy into my usual pack, but there are two problems: limited space for lunch and no way to ease the load on the right shoulder. That extra strap is just plain useless as far as I'm concerned, if anything, it pulls the bag down and makes it press even more! I'm planning to make an insert for my regular pack out of closed cell foam (a cheap camping mat!) sort of based on the slingshot, so I can have some lenses and the camera in its own padded compartment at the top of the pack. Extra bonus: the lunch is below the camera, no worries about spills. I don't think it'll be any more awkward to get at stuff than in the slingshot.

I'll keep the slingshot, though - it's great for short jaunts, and I stuff nearly everything I've got in it so that I don't have lenses and stuff sitting precariously on shelves where I will inevitably knock them off.

Julie
01-19-2007, 04:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Are you just being contrary for the sake of it? If you genuinely didn't like the bag, that's cool, but using it twice doesn't give it much of a chance.
...for the sake of it - non. I carry the bags over my right as do most others I think. The sling also goes over the right and swings from back to front, under the left. I prefer it the other way around so I can swing it under the right with my dominant left and grab the camera with the right hand which is the hand I use for holding the cam.

You're probably right in that I haven't given it a chance by using it only twice.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an excellent idea, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it. I just found it uncomfortable for me.