Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #1

UV filters - yes or no - which ones?

I have a Pentax 18-135 and Sigma 30mm.

The question is, should I have filters on them? I did not have filters on any previous cameras, but my new camera and lenses are far more expensive than anything before!

If yes... which ones? Seen Hoya Pro-1 UV filters at reasonable cost, but seen some others that are far too expensive!

Any advise appreciated as new to the filter world (and pentax!)

03-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

With the other lenses, did you ever damaged one?
I think you can give yourself the answer you're looking for

The more expensive the lens the better the coatings will be, also adding filter certainly with 10+ element zoom does nothing good for internal flares.
03-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #3

You'll hear many opinions on this subject to the extent of bordering on flame wars. My take is if it gives you peace of mind to use a filter as an ounce of prevention then do so. If Image Quality is an issue you can always remove the filter for those shots.

You may wish to read this article:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
03-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for that

Interesting that the cheaper Hoya HMC UV-0 comes out 1st even bettering the more expensive pro-1 version.

Has the '0' now been replaced with a 'C' on this filter?

03-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JayX2A Quote
I have a Pentax 18-135 and Sigma 30mm.

The question is, should I have filters on them? I did not have filters on any previous cameras, but my new camera and lenses are far more expensive than anything before!

If yes... which ones? Seen Hoya Pro-1 UV filters at reasonable cost, but seen some others that are far too expensive!

Any advise appreciated as new to the filter world (and pentax!)
I've stopped using filters on my new lenses because they degrade your IQ. Just be careful and don't smash your lenses against a tree

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've stopped using filters on my new lenses because they degrade your IQ. Just be careful and don't smash your lenses against a tree
Tree won't hurt it, gravel is a killer but a thin filter won't help with that either.
03-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I used to use them as well but I just find that even though the IQ only suffers minimally it still suffers. Just use your lens hood and it will protect your lens. I always have mine on my lenses and have never had an issue.

03-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Tree won't hurt it, gravel is a killer but a thin filter won't help with that either.
Fast-forward to about 3:35
03-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I too have moved away from using UV filters.............
03-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For me filters no, but lens hoods always a yes.
03-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Fast-forward to about 3:35
I believe he does not state if any damaged was done.
I see tree bark residue on the first but that has nothing to do with damage to the lens.

Last edited by Anvh; 03-10-2013 at 04:50 PM.
03-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

UV filter _might_ be needed at high altitudes where UV light can be intense, even overload blue channel.

UV filter protects lens from blowing sand, etc..

UV filter, even the very best, are prone to reflections.

In general, if a UV filter is necessary, use the very best to minimize IQ degrade from using it -- of course if a filter is used to avoid sacrificing the lens, consider roe.

I use hoods instead of protective filters, except around blowing sand, when I use hood and filter.
03-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I use a hood instead of a UV filter on all my lenses EXCEPT... the front glass on Sigma 10-20 is just sticking out there waiting to be scratched, so I have a good UV on it for my own peace of mind.
03-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
HSV
Veteran Member

In my experience, the biggest problem with UV filters is ghosting and flare...even a good UV filter like the Hoya can a "highly flare resistant" lens to easily flare and ghost.

Today I just made a FA31 + UV filter ghost with a compact fluorescent lamp. I was bad enough that it could be seen in the OVF (at first I though it was my glasses or the OVF, but then I took the image with and without the UV filter, and it made the difference). I don't know how bad does the FA31 ghost normally, but there was certainly a big difference with and without the filter.

With all that said, I still have a UV filter on my most used lenses...but I take them off when flaring and ghosting are evident (which is not very common on modern lenses). For some reason, I find that Sigma lenses are much more susceptible to this.