Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery chargers

Hi all,
I'm looking at buying a new battery charger for Ni-MH AA & AAA 's.
I guess I would prob buy it through ebay.

What are your opinions as to the best smart chargers available at the moment ?

Last edited by chromo; 03-11-2013 at 06:17 AM.
03-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I have a LaCrosse...not sure of the exact model number. Seems to work fine and has good reputation.
03-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
I have a LaCrosse...not sure of the exact model number. Seems to work fine and has good reputation.
+1, you can also try a Maha... as long as you get an intelligent charger, they are a bit expensive, but worth it in the long run.
03-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Maha C9000 got here yesterday. It's pretty impressive. I knew what it's basic function was before I ordered it, but I didn't realize that you could run a different routine on each of the four positions. You can charge one cell, refresh and analyze another, discharge a third, and break-in a fourth; all at the same time.

03-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

LaCrosse and Maha have the best reputation. I'm personally using a Sanyo charger and have had no issues whatsoever with it (I don't know what "issues" I could encounter, really, but never felt it was alcking anything).
03-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Check this out. It's not cheap but works really well. I had a bunch of Sanyo Eneloop cells that no longer kept charge long enough for my accordion. I was about the buy replacement batteries, but then decided to buy a charger instead (I had been using the Sanyo chargers that came with the batteries).

The Ansmann charger is amazing. Per charge, the old Sanyo batteries last at least 30% longer than what they were before.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
In the U.S., order Sanyo eneloops with a charger and you will likely get the non-intelligent NC-MQN06W that only charges in pairs.The much better regarded NC-MQR06 is apparently not available within the U.S. so I ordered one from an Australian eBay seller that ships internationally at a very reasonable price (about US$23) - I haven't received this charger yet, but it has shipped - - via Korean Post. Go figure. The NC-MQR06 is an intelligent rapid charger (3-4 hours) that charges each battery independently. It handles AA or AAA, is compact and works world wide. Given I ordered my unit from an Australian seller, I have no idea what style AC plug will be installed, but I have adapters so I am not worried.

I have another intelligent charger with a similar design, but it takes 6-8 hours to recharge 4 eneloops. It can stay home and the rapid charger can travel with me.

03-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wasn't aware that Ansmann is selling outside of the EU. Here it is the manufacturer with the best reputation. I bought this one about 20 years ago as the first charger which worked processor controlled seperatly for each slot. It also was the first one where you could change accus in single slots on the fly, not disturbing the charging of the other ones.

It is not as sophisticated as present ones, but it still works quite well with Eneloops, and any other type, no matter what the technology is. It seems everyone using accus professionally here is still using these now quite old devices.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A30  Photo