Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Greetings again Lauren-

I agree that cameras swinging loose are a recipe for broken cameras or lenses.
What do you think of this?
Luma Labs — Cinch

It looks quite nice and quite secure.

03-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm so used to having the camera hanging in my BlackRapid that having it in a case or bag makes me feel like the camera is stuck in a bottomless hole or something.
The camera holds steadily against my hip in a ready to grip and shoot position so I really can't see the flinging around issue talked about here. I feel more at risk every time I take out or put it away in a bag as there is way more risk of the camera catching on to something and therefore get dropped or even a forgotten zipper or similar. I distrust zippers way more than the tripod mount as I have yet to see the BlackRapid even slightly unscrew itself, it's not like the camera is spinning around like crazy on your hip and if it is something is seriously wrong.

Also the sling strap is a security that I can't drop the camera when shooting no matter my shooting position. If dropped it just slides back, ready for a new shot!
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I've recently bought the BlackRapid sling for my K5 with the battery grip. It seems good for using with big zooms that have tripod mounts on the lens. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd trust the weight of my old Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 to any strap or sling mounted to the tripod socket in the grip, considering that the grip is plastic. One trip to the Atlanta Zoo with the Tokina's weight on the strap lugs on the K5 made me apprehensive of the lugs' strength.
I've walked with my K-5 + Sigma 150-500 + Flash in my Blackrapid without even slightly distrusting it and I have my K-5 + Sigma 70-200 or DA* 300 weekly hanging in one both with and without the grip. I would not trust knock-offs though after seeing all the heavy wear marks on the hook and I'm sure that worse metal would get eaten away pretty quickly with time.
03-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

One more thing, it must really suck walking around being afraid of being robbed. I'm glad to be naive and feeling safe enough when walking around during my regular days to be able to live a non-restricted life when it comes to things like this. Though I know people have different levels of carefulness and live in different places in the world and sometimes it's just to accept fact and change your way of life according to it but I try not to get limited by other peoples lack of morality as I feel like I'm the one losing more on it.
03-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
....it seems all shoulder straps (sometimes called sports straps) attach to the tripod mount.
The Op/Tech sling trap can have 2 anchor points. In my setup, one is a camera's (built-in) slug, the other is a tripod plate. Of course I don't have to use both anchor points. The tripod plate alone is sufficient.

... my tripod mount is designed to attach to a tripod. Mine always has a plate screwed in. am I the only one interested in using each attachment poiint for its intended purpose?
Mine has an Arca-Swiss compatible plate too. I think that's the intended purpose

But most of the times, I use a hand strap:

03-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LOL...lots of strap users here...I'm a minority. If this was Imgur, I'd be downvoted into oblivion!
03-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
R

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I've walked with my K-5 + Sigma 150-500 + Flash in my Blackrapid without even slightly distrusting it and I have my K-5 + Sigma 70-200 or DA* 300 weekly hanging in one both with and without the grip. I would not trust knock-offs though after seeing all the heavy wear marks on the hook and I'm sure that worse metal would get eaten away pretty quickly with time.
I attach my Blackrapid to the tripod mount on the Tokina with a quick release plate for my Manfrotto tripod. When I bought the Blackrapid at Showcase in Atlanta (a knowledgeable group of nice folk, BTW) I told them of my plan and they strongly advised that I spring for Blackrapid's "conversion" screw for the QR, even though they didn't have one in stock. The little ring on the stock QR only enters the head of the screw by perhaps 1/16 inch; after all its only intended to help tighten the screw in the tripod socket. BR's is stainless steel, and goes virtually all through the tempered steel screw. It easily is installed in the QR plate.

Here is a good example of why sometimes buying locally - if possible - can be better than web surfing purchasing.
03-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Here is a good example of why sometimes buying locally - if possible - can be better than web surfing purchasing.
I bought my strap locally as I wanted it in my hands quick but I got no service at all for double the online price. Heck, the first seller in the camera store tried to sell me the female version at first and I'm flatter than a ironing board!

03-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gaberlunzi Quote
For a few dollars you can get a bolt, cable clamp, and keychain ring from a hardware store and make your own, even if just to see if you like it enough to purchase a better one
There are shoulder sports straps on eBay for about 10$.

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I use arca camera plates that have strap lugs
Do you mean that your plate can accomodate a strap fixed to it? My Vanguard arca-swiss plate does not. That could be an interesting solution, not perfect but interesting.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Personally, I don't understand folks that carry their cameras around exposed on ANY strap.
To each his own, of course. It depends on what I'm shooting, which bag I'm using, how I'm carrying my equipment and what equipment that is.

While I keep straps on all my cameras as safety devices for taking picutres or moving around, the camera quickly goes back in the bag when I have finished taking pictures and move to the next location.
Sometimes that's what I do with my messenger bag. When hiking, for instance, it's not really a good idea, because I'm using a backpack.

I know I will get some flames here, but deep down I think it has more to do with "Look-at-me-and-my-expensive-camera", so it's no wonder folks use the 1/4-20 tripod socket, as they are only concerned with "posing" with the camera!
It might be the case for some, trust me when I'm in the middle of the woods it doesn't apply to me

I started to make a little video, but as I held the camera to video, I kept getting boob shot in the frame, and I'm too embarassed of my weight gain to make one where you see me in action using the Digital Holster.

It's up to more attactive women to demo photo products.
We'll let you be a judge of that.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
it must really suck walking around being afraid of being robbed. I'm glad to be naive and feeling safe enough when walking around during my regular days to be able to live a non-restricted life when it comes to things like this. Though I know people have different levels of carefulness and live in different places in the world and sometimes it's just to accept fact and change your way of life according to it but I try not to get limited by other peoples lack of morality as I feel like I'm the one losing more on it.
I live in a city with 700k citizens and less than one murder per year. Security has never been a concern.

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Mine has an Arca-Swiss compatible plate too. I think that's the intended purpose
What do you mean?

The Op-Tech strap seems excellent. I live in Canada but will try to find it around here.
03-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #24

I use the Op-Tech strap as well. I like that it comes with two separate buckles-- I have one on each of my SLRs and I can swap cameras very quickly.

When hiking I usually have the camera hanging loose at my side, but sometimes when I'm traveling I'll wear a small messenger bag on the same shoulder as the strap. Then I can slip the camera into the messenger bag when it's not in use. I find it's a pretty stealthy way to carry the camera, which I find useful for situations like riding on public transportation, but at the same time the camera's pretty accessible.

Another great thing about the op-tech strap is that the buckles are the same for their other accessories, so you can un-clip your camera from the shoulder strap and switch to a wrist strap very quickly and easily.
03-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Do you mean that your plate can accomodate a strap fixed to it? My Vanguard arca-swiss plate does not. That could be an interesting solution, not perfect but interesting.
This is what I use: Arca-Swiss Quick Release Plate by Cowboystudio.
03-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another vote for the Optech strap. Very comfy and adjustable.
03-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The plate I use for my hand straps is this one Universal Quick Release Plate for Arca Swiss Benro with Hand Strap Hole PC 59 | eBay

I like that the plate is a square so I can orient the camera either direction on my Arca Swiss type clamps
03-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by renegadesv Quote
I use the Op-Tech strap as well.
Seems pretty inexpensive, 22$ at Adorama. Problem is I'm in Canada, but I'll try to see if it can be found here. I like the design. Does that link point to a complete package? It seems on B&H that there are several accessories

Op/Tech 3501242 Strap Sling 0.75in Webbing Black 3501242

One thing I would miss from my Kata Reflex neck strap is that it has small pockets where I can store memory cards, which I find hugely convenient.

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
This is what I use: Arca-Swiss Quick Release Plate by Cowboystudio.
A pretty straightforward plate. I'm guessing you use the second hole to attch a strap? Then you have to remove it to mount on the tripod?
03-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

.... I'm guessing you use the second hole to attch a strap? Then you have to remove it to mount on the tripod?
Please see the second photo in my post above to see how the quick release buckle is attached to the plate. The buckle is then attached to its mate in the sling strap. This buckle is also "half" of the hand trap as in the last photo.

Not sure what you mean by "remove it".

I don't have to remove anything. The tripod has an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp, similar to this one (I don't have any photo of the tripod here):

The camera (with the plate attached) is mounted directly to the clamp:

OK, I found a photo of my tripods. Note the clamps attached to the tripod heads:

Last edited by SOldBear; 03-13-2013 at 01:02 PM.
03-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Op-Tech strap seems excellent. I live in Canada but will try to find it around here.
You can order a custom option direct from Op Tech and they ship to Canada.

Personally I don't like the wide shoulder pad so I use their narrower 'Envy' style pad.

I have two of these I ordered as custom options at OP/TECH USA Custom Strap
Attached Images