Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
Oh, and for those who are worried about the strap coming out of the tripod socket on straps like these, the Sun Sniper series uses a mount with ball bearings that spin freely so the camera won't be likely to loosen when you're moving around. After a couple dozen weddings and press assignments I haven't had any cameras come loose from the Sun Sniper DHP strap.
The free rotate design reduces stress from the strap but doesn't really stop it from unscrewing itself. The last thing I want is to check the screw every few minutes.

03-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The free rotate design reduces stress from the strap but doesn't really stop it from unscrewing itself. The last thing I want is to check the screw every few minutes.
I check it when I take camera out for a trip, after that I feel perfectly safe.
03-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Seems pretty inexpensive, 22$ at Adorama. Problem is I'm in Canada, but I'll try to see if it can be found here. I like the design. Does that link point to a complete package? It seems on B&H that there are several accessories
I originally bought mine on Amazon for a bit under $20.
Amazon.com: OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling (Black): Camera & Photo
03-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Most come with a piece of rubber at the base of the screw bit which you basically sandwich between the camera, this cause quite a lot of friction so it won't unscrew without a bit of force.

03-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Much of the debate on this thread seems to be about the tripod socket suitability and coming undone.

Surely it would it not be possible to rig up an additional suitable bit of subtle cord (same colour etc.), from one of the usual camera strap lugs to attach on the harness somewhere. Just to act as a fail safe, should it all go wrong on the tripod socket.
03-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You can order a custom option direct from Op Tech and they ship to Canada.
I'll see how much they charge for shipping. The strap is a great 20$ in the US, but Amazon.ca charges 50$ for it!

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Surely it would it not be possible to rig up an additional suitable bit of subtle cord (same colour etc.), from one of the usual camera strap lugs to attach on the harness somewhere. Just to act as a fail safe, should it all go wrong on the tripod socket.
Then my point stands : let's use the strap anchor for its intended purpose
03-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I use the BosTail with my BlackRapid strap: BosStrap LLC - BosTail

03-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I use the OpTech version, it attaches to the camera lugs, not the tripod screw.
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling
I use only the left lug, as the other one is attached to a hand strap and Arca Swiss plate.
Sounds familiar!

This is what I use for a walk around my property. This gives me the best of both worlds as the hand strap is a must for me, so I attach the Optech sling strap to the opposite lug. Works better than I thought it would - even with the DA*300 the camera stays nicely put right where I want it even while walking.

I do agree with Lauren that if I were out in a public place, I would use my Lowepro 75AW top loader bag, but I have never been out in public with a camera.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:50 AM.
03-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I did buy the "Black Rapid" sling for my Big Lens, But also Just didn't trust attaching that weight (and money) to a single point, I actually still use the strap, but I run the strap up around the lens barrel itself, then wrapped around the tripod foot on the lens, So the lens itself is supported directly by the strap, I'll take some pics soon.
03-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
the BosTail
That's the very chappy that I was trying to so woefully describe in my earlier post.

This could used additionally, to provide two point fixing.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
subtle cord (same colour etc.), from one of the usual camera strap lugs
03-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I have never been out in public with a camera.
You mean, like never? Where do you take pictures?
03-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You mean, like never? Where do you take pictures?
Yeah - never. 100% of my picture taking I do at home on my own property since that is where I am 99% of the time........Just don't go anywhere.
03-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
This is what I use for a walk around my property. This gives me the best of both worlds as the hand strap is a must for me, so I attach the Optech sling strap to the opposite lug. Works better than I thought it would - even with the DA*300 the camera stays nicely put right where I want it even while walking.
Ha Ha, for a second there I thought you took a picture of me but then I thought "Wait - I don't own a DA50-135!?" Duh
03-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I like the black rapid strap for keeping the camera out of the way when wrangling small children. I've left dents in my kids' heads more than once when I had a camera around my neck -- "Sure, let me lean down to pick you u-" SLAM!
03-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had the Sun Sniper Pro attached to the grip tripod socket of my K5 since May 2012. Hiked through Yosemite and Rocky Mountain National Parks; San Francisco, LA and Manhattan. In addition to the daily use around the house, school, kids, neighborhoods. Neither the strap, nor the grip ( with the exception of quick battery swaps) have been apart in that time.
It is easily secured during more strenuous activity, or lulls in shooting, with the use of a carabiner through a belt buckle.

I was initially a bit leery of its' effectiveness, but after a couple of days of obsessive checking to make sure it was tight, I've only continued to grow more comfortable with it.

Lenses I use with a tri/monopod tend to have collars. If not, just pop off the grip for a few, get my shot and move on.