Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #1

Think I bought some fake Hoya Filters?

Pics below.

I have googled images of the filter and I cant find the Hoya logo looking like my ones on any of them.

I also cant find any that say 'Made in Japan'. They all seem to say just 'Japan'

Fake?

03-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should check out the Hoya web site (www.hoyafilter.com) and carefully look at their logo at the top of the home screen, it looks pretty much identical to the one on your filter.
03-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

I'd say that if they were genuine Hoya filters they probably wouldn't say 'made by Tokina Co. Ltd...

Cheers.
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by moray-eel-bite Quote
I'd say that if they were genuine Hoya filters they probably wouldn't say 'made by Tokina Co. Ltd...

Cheers.
From the Hoya web site:

"With HOYA's approval, Kenko Tokina Co., Ltd. delivers HOYA brand filters around the world."

03-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You have the real Hoya filter, 100%. I have used Hoya product for years, and this is their latest label & packaging for the "original" HMC filters. Their newer & more expensive ones are in slimmer black/gold package.

Last edited by MJL; 03-14-2013 at 03:44 PM.
03-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #6

I stand corrected then. I had understood that they were distributed by but not made by tokina/kenko... maybe that's not the case any longer.
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by moray-eel-bite Quote

Cheers.
On the contrary, if they were completely fake Hoya filters, they wouldn't dare to use anyone else's name, particularly the name of another well-known photographic company.

That would be like trying to sell knockoff Omega watches, by putting them in Rolex cases.

03-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Banned

Protect Yourself from Piracy
Counterfeit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One would be quite surprised at how many different items are counterfeited; from money, to medicine, even electronics and everyday items. According to Wiki it states it costs the world only 6oo billion. I'd put that number at well over one trillion.

...And interesting I have happened to notice counterfeit items; even cameras and other camera accessories - in places such as Amsterdam and also Hong Kong
03-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
You have the real Hoya filter, 100%. I have used Hoya product for years, and this is their latest label & packaging for the "original" HMC filters. Their newer & more expensive ones are in slimmer black/gold package.
That's good to know! I know it was a risk getting from eBay, but the feedback and positive comments made me think this was a genuine seller.
03-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #10

I am more sceptical. I bought a couple of Hoya CPL filters on eBay. One of them seemed fine. The other was a linear filter based on doing a test against my monitor. They both had Hoya branding and CPL labels on etc so looked like the genuine article. Unless of course the monitor test isn't a 100% accurate way of determining whether a filter really is CPL. It has led me to think there are genuine looking fakes out there.
03-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I follow the social advice from Taiwan. Either buy the real one, and pay the premium price at the proper outlet, and use your own research to know the distinctive design features, trademarks etc., or buy a no-name brand. At least that way, when other pepoe see you using it they will not conclude that you are prentender, trying to show off as if you are something you are not.
03-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The pictured filter and packaging looks like the real thing to me. All my Hoya HMC filters are packaged (I have a bunch) as being made by Tokina.
03-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
Unless of course the monitor test isn't a 100% accurate way of determining whether a filter really is CPL.
I know of the "mirror" test for linear vs. circular but am unfamiliar with the monitor test. When I point my linear polarizer at the monitor I am able to rotate until it is essentially clear. Flipping the filter yields full black. Does the circular behave differently?

Steve
03-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #14

Here are a couple of videos I posted to show the difference. Both of these are labelled as CPL but I believe that only one of them is. I can't recall where I found this test but seems to hold true, unless larger filters behave differently to smaller ones which I don't believe is the case.

52mm (the one that is fine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZUME6LFDLs

You can see in the video that when you look through the threaded side and rotate then it goes from light to dark. When you flip it to look through the other side it goes from blue to orange i.e. it behaves differently. This is the behaviour of a circular polarizer.

58mm (the one I think is actually a liner filter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9jraai6l6c

You can see in the above video that this one behaves the same regardless of which way you look through it. This is the behaviour of a linear filter.
03-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Like De Niro said, 'If there is a doubt, there is no doubt.'

If you're fussed over a UV filter, it's no better than it ever looks. Hope you didn't pay too much.

I mean, go ahead and test what you've got, but, hey, nothing we can say will improve it. Frankly, if you have to ask, you should either be able to see it's a problem or know what you bought. if you want to get picky, remove it. You probably have a lot more money and decades less experience than I do and I promise I only use UV's on the beach or in blowing grit Or to save time after the first time toddler-fingers or dog noses must have a little poking at a big lens.

(Also, you know, even the absolute finest UV filter possible cannot compare to no filter at all. Don't sweat the finer points till you know why and how. )

Also, filter or no, put a hood on there. Filter or no, the very best a piece of flat glass can do is pretend to not be there. With a proper hood, that won't matter.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-18-2013 at 05:19 PM.