Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Battery Charger Questions

I recently picked up a used K-10, (instead of getting the old one repaired),and I noticed the charger has a European plug. Not a big deal since I already had one, but the question is can I swap the wire that goes into the charger. So I can, if I ever go there, charge my K-5 in Europe. I know the battery and charger are different but the wire that goes in them I can't tell.

Thanks all, have a good weekend

03-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Look on the charger for the input voltage, that's the one you need to look for.
EU uses 220 to 240 volt while US is at 120 volt i believe.
03-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just FYI, not all the electrical plugs in Europe are the same ... France is not the same as the UK and others ... do you have an image of the plug? J
03-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Just FYI, not all the electrical plugs in Europe are the same ... France is not the same as the UK and others ... do you have an image of the plug? J
The europlug actually can fit in some UK wall sockets but it's not recommended, they do fit in the shaver socket some UK homes and hotels have.

03-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't recommend modification of an electrical charger, at least in the modern era, with cost cutting a primary goal in manufacturing. Why, euro voltage is double US voltage, so half the current typically is needed. Smaller wire is perfectly applicable in this case for manufacture and if actually used to save money then modifying for us on US voltage, half the voltage, twice the current (potentially) will overheat the thinner wire as it will have higher resistance. High current through high resistance is what makes a toaster work. Your call.
03-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just checked and the charger is rated for 100 to 240 volt, so you can use it safely in the US.

@Schmidlapper.
You don't need to modificate the charger at all.
The cable has a plug on both sides, one has the EU plug for example and on the other end is a standard plug that most chargers and converters for example your laptop use.

This one will fit in the charger.
[IMG]www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/catalog/medium/AC12-CACEEEPS.jpg[/IMG]
03-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That is a perfect solution. I was only referring to cutting off the plug end and replacing.

03-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Good news then, sounds like your sorted for worldwide travel, get going.
03-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by slackerlee Quote
I recently picked up a used K-10, (instead of getting the old one repaired),and I noticed the charger has a European plug. Not a big deal since I already had one, but the question is can I swap the wire that goes into the charger. So I can, if I ever go there, charge my K-5 in Europe. I know the battery and charger are different but the wire that goes in them I can't tell.

Thanks all, have a good weekend
I see three things that need to be addressed.

Input voltage.
Look at your charger. See what your chargers input voltage is. Mine (a Pentax D-BC90 charger that came with my K-5 IIs) states input = 100v-240v. It is safe to use any input voltage that is in the range that your charger states.

Battery to be used.
You stated that the batteries are different. Only use the your charger on batteries that your charger states that it was designed for.

Input cord size.
Cord size is not an issue. Since the input will only be a fraction of an ampere (my Pentax D-BC90 battery charger that came with my K-5 IIs states input ampere = 0.2 ampere), the cord size will not cause overheating.
03-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks everybody for all the replies.