Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Slik 700DX - 2 questions

1. The Slik 700DX has a simple bolt that serves as a second lock (besides the threaded collar) to lock the center post. Has anybody:

1a. had this bolt accidentally fall out / get lost ?

1b. figured out a way to prevent #1a ?

2. Does anybody happen to know the thread specifications of the bottom cap on the center column?

Thanks

Paul

03-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I would guess the application of some Loctite thread lock type of stuff would certainly help.

AS for techy specs, a quick email to manufacturer often works well, especially if you tell' em how great their products are, parts dept are about the best for this.
03-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Tibbits,
I assume you have downloaded the manual for the 700DX.
The locking screw called "center column stopper" on the tripod here has a fine thread with about 15 turns to unscrew so it is unlikely to get lost as it dis-engages in 1 turn or so.
I measured it as M6 so I hope you can get a replacement, maybe a socket head cap screw.

The manual shows the bottom cap to be threaded.
However the one here, as I just found out by trying to unscrew it, does not have a thread, instead there are two lugs on the inner diameter of the plastic cover which, by flexing, engage in two holes in the column.
So I sheared one lug off off the cap ! I suppose it will glue back on.

Incidentally,I just machined on the lathe a batch of quickchange adaptors for my Slik 700 DX.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
03-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Tibbits,
I assume you have downloaded the manual for the 700DX.
The locking screw called "center column stopper" on the tripod here has a fine thread with about 15 turns to unscrew so it is unlikely to get lost as it dis-engages in 1 turn or so.
I measured it as M6 so I hope you can get a replacement, maybe a socket head cap screw.

The manual shows the bottom cap to be threaded.
However the one here, as I just found out by trying to unscrew it, does not have a thread, instead there are two lugs on the inner diameter of the plastic cover which, by flexing, engage in two holes in the column.
So I sheared one lug off off the cap ! I suppose it will glue back on.

Incidentally,I just machined on the lathe a batch of quickchange adaptors for my Slik 700 DX.
Thanks for your reply. That's impressive machining!

However regarding the center column locking bolt, there are plenty of turns for sure, but I can imagine forgetting to tighten it, and having it vibrate all 15 turns out (during transportation, for example.) It might be possible to put some material on the very end of the threads (after threading it through the column support) that would offer some resistance to it backing out those last few turns.

Paul

03-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I would guess the application of some Loctite thread lock type of stuff would certainly help.

AS for techy specs, a quick email to manufacturer often works well, especially if you tell' em how great their products are, parts dept are about the best for this.
Actually I've owned several previous Slik tripods, and Slik does make replacement parts available for a reasonable price; it's just their huge minimum shipping charge that's tough to swallow for a $3 part.

I'm not familar with a form of loctite that would still let allow the part to function, but not completely back out, but there are many variations on loctite, so maybe it's one of the ones I'm not familiar with.

Paul
03-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, the Pan and Tilt handles could also vibrate out in exteme conditions too, as in any similar tripod
I suppose we have to check that all are tight before transportation
I think the Slik design is very good.
In case you don't know, the quick change has a safety latch, then the pressure lever on the quick change puck, which is adjustable.
To adjust pressure pry off the rubber cap, back off the grub screw with allen wrench ( key) then adjust the pressure by racking with a screwdriver and re-tighten the grub screw.
03-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Well, the Pan and Tilt handles could also vibrate out in exteme conditions too, as in any similar tripod
I suppose we have to check that all are tight before transportation
I think the Slik design is very good.
In case you don't know, the quick change has a safety latch, then the pressure lever on the quick change puck, which is adjustable.
To adjust pressure pry off the rubber cap, back off the grub screw with allen wrench ( key) then adjust the pressure by racking with a screwdriver and re-tighten the grub screw.
Actually I have only the 700 legs, and use the Slik Ball Head II. There is only one control on the BHII (no pan control at all, just the ball lock), and that lever can't fall off unless it breaks. The head doesn't even have a QR of any kind. I used a QR for almost 30 years, kept two spares just-in-case, and left all three home for an important trip. So I'm sensitive to losing tripod parts. I'd had a QR-less head before, and it was constantly frustrating, but so far the BHII seems almost as fast to attach as a QR, and no parts to forget.

Paul