Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Right Angle viewfinder

For those of you looking for a right angle viewfinder, B&H has one that works on multiple cameras. Polaroid 1.25x - 2.5x Right Angle Viewfinder PLRAV B&H Photo

I purchased one when it first came out and while it is not 100% perfect, the fit around the viewfinder is a little loose, it is certainly better then being flat on the ground. For the price they are selling it at, it is a steal compared to a factory model that may no longer in production.

Jay

03-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the interesting find! What camera are you using it on. The feedback on the B&H web site indicates it doesn't fit well on all cameras? I wear glasses, would that be a problem?
03-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have a K-5 and also wear glasses. What you have to do is take the rubber eye cup off of the viewfinder so that the adapter can be slipped on. Normally, I do not wear my glasses when using the camera since I use the diopter adjustment to allow for my glasses.

The adapter is a just a little bit loose, which means that the right angle viewfinder is also loose not much, but it is not real tight.. I have not had any trouble in focusing and only use it with my macro work and then only when I have to be very close to the ground. For $60 [US] it is still a bargain compared just about everything else.

Jay
03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like a copy of the "Seagul" one I've got one for my K10D which I've used on a number of occasions. I need to remove my glasses to shoot and can't use the dioptre correction (it doesn't go far enough). I don't use it on the higher magnification but it is very useful... You remove the original Pentax rubber viewfinder and then slot one of their adaptors into the gap left round the viewfinder. The adaptor then slots over this. I find that I can also slot the K10 adaptor back over the top of their adaptor, BUT it is a little more loose than when "native" on the camera. Not used the strong magnification much, but as someone else has commented on, it is much easier than lying on the ground!!

03-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting, good find. Does it block much of the viewfinder display?
03-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I discovered that the Pentax right-angle finder for the ME, MX, LX, K-10 etc, also fits my Olympus OM-10, so Olympus finders ought to fit these Pentaxes. At this writing KEH shows one for $23.00. It offers 1.2X or 2.5X magnification. Probably better quality than the Seagull edition.
03-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I filed down my 40 year old pentax one make it fit the eye piece. I am not sure if this is a cardinal sin? It is a lovely piece of optics and was a shame it wasn't being used.

03-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a similarly aged and modified Pentax one, but eventually got fed up with having to train my brain to cope with the reversed image. I looked at the Chinese offerings like the Seagull, but eventually decided the Pentax A finder was a better bet. Not cheap though.
03-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Interesting, good find. Does it block much of the viewfinder display?
No, it just takes time to get used to it. First you remove the rubber eyecup, slide on the adaper and then the right angle viewfinder.

Jay
03-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I filed down my 40 year old pentax one make it fit the eye piece. I am not sure if this is a cardinal sin? It is a lovely piece of optics and was a shame it wasn't being used.
Some of us are going straight to hell Bob.
03-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since almost all my film cameras are K bodies I still use the Refconverter-II which keeps the image vertically and horizontally correct. For the M bodies and later I usde an Olympus Vari-Magni I got NIB for $40 on ebay

Last edited by monochrome; 03-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
03-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I discovered that the Pentax right-angle finder for the ME, MX, LX, K-10 etc, also fits my Olympus OM-10, so Olympus finders ought to fit these Pentaxes. At this writing KEH shows one for $23.00. It offers 1.2X or 2.5X magnification. Probably better quality than the Seagull edition.
Yep..nice hunk of metal, but the image is inverted horizontally. Left = right...doesn't really affect composition...
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Yep..nice hunk of metal, but the image is inverted horizontally. Left = right...doesn't really affect composition...
Just so. I can't imagine many uses for a ref converter in which such inversion would make any difference.
03-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Just so. I can't imagine many uses for a ref converter in which such inversion would make any difference.
In static composition terms, no. My only issue was movement confusion - having the image move in accordance with the camera movement is preferable to occasional users like me. Having the optional 2X magnification facility of the later refconverters (or the Seagull or similar finders) is a very handy feature, too.
03-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one of the Seagull converters - at 2X it's a bit distorty but useful. The converter is handy when trying astrophography.