Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Beike Gimbal Tripod head

I have just received the Beike Gimbal head from China and I will be doing all the mods mentioned in the various threads here in the forums to make this gimbal head work as smoothly as possible. If anyone who has modified their Beike or equivalent gimbal heads to chime in and describe the modification in detail or post the link to threads in the forums where you have posted the mod procedure, that would be most helpful.

For those who own the Jobu, Wimberly and other premier makers of the gimbal heads, how smooth and easy are your gimbal heads to pivot and swing the two main moving components without the camera and the lens mounted? Yours are the benchmark that I hope to achieve in trying to modify the Beike.

Thanks,

03-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Use it before you modify it would be my advice. My Beike was good out of the box. Others have bad copies. The variability is great so don't assume anything. My Beike is better than my Jobu, except for weight.
03-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oeriies Quote
Use it before you modify it would be my advice. My Beike was good out of the box. Others have bad copies. The variability is great so don't assume anything. My Beike is better than my Jobu, except for weight.
Dittos!
03-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The pivoting around the centre column is quite decent, fairly smooth, like any other head. The swing seem quite stiff but with a heavy lens attached, the stiffness might become a plus. I'll try it out tomorrow with the heaviest two lenses that I have.

03-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check this post for how I worked on mine. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/218490-beike-bk45-...ml#post2313501
03-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
For those who own the Jobu, Wimberly and other premier makers of the gimbal heads, how smooth and easy are your gimbal heads to pivot and swing the two main moving components without the camera and the lens mounted? Yours are the benchmark that I hope to achieve in trying to modify the Beike.
I have upgraded to the Katana and there is no comparison. Unloaded movements in swing and pivot are effortless.
03-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Thanks Larry, I'll try this for sure. If i could get smooth, effortless swing while unloaded, I'd be very happy.

04-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oeriies Quote
I`ll second this. I`ve had mine for about six months and would not change it for any of the rip offs.
09-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #9

Beike Gimbal Head

They are garbage and the reason they don't move smoothly is that they don't have any bearings in them as advertised.
I had all sorts of problems getting them to admit to this and I sent mine back for replacement.
The new one arrived and was worse than the original. I then pulled it apart to find the problem of no bearings.
Then they said send it back to them with tracking post. I gave up at this stage as it orginally cost about $120
and with the additional cost of a second $50 to return it it all became unviable, particularly if there was a problem with the refund.
In other words don't buy a Beike or other branded alternative as you will get the same thing.
Bruce Wells Australia
09-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baldrick Quote
I`ll second this. I`ve had mine for about six months and would not change it for any of the rip offs.
Isn't the beike the "rip-off"
09-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Isn't the beike the "rip-off"
It's the "knock-off".
10-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #12
Forum Member

No, the rip-offs are the ones that come with a price in the multiple hundreds of dollars.