Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I just went to JB HiFi ... and they checked up for me .... the Slingshot AW 200 they can get in for $119 for me ... I thought that was cheap compared to other places I have seen .... so I used my $100 voucher on it ... so in the end it cost me $19 for the bag ... Win/win situation.

They will call me when it arrives so i can pick it up.

09-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I just went to JB HiFi ... and they checked up for me .... the Slingshot AW 200 they can get in for $119 for me ... I thought that was cheap compared to other places I have seen .... so I used my $100 voucher on it ... so in the end it cost me $19 for the bag ... Win/win situation.

They will call me when it arrives so i can pick it up.
Amazon has the 200AW for $89 with free shipping.
09-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
So next question...

The 200AW has three vinyl (or something like vinyl) straps stitched on the outside. Two on the front and one on the side. They look as though they're meant to hold something, but what? There's no way a tripod or monopod could fit under them.

Got any ideas?
09-09-2008, 12:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
So next question...

The 200AW has three vinyl (or something like vinyl) straps stitched on the outside. Two on the front and one on the side. They look as though they're meant to hold something, but what? There's no way a tripod or monopod could fit under them.

Got any ideas?
Sliplock cases, see the video.

Thank you
Russell

09-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #20

The Slingshot 200AW does seem a bit like the baby bears porridge, I think it's just right.
Been very happy with mine from day one.
09-09-2008, 04:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The Slingshot 200AW does seem a bit like the baby bears porridge, I think it's just right.
Been very happy with mine from day one.

Me too... great bag

Russell

thanks for your links

the video is great and shows how to use the bag without removing from shoulders.... I never knew it

Neil

Last edited by nulla; 09-09-2008 at 04:47 AM.
09-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
SlipLock-Cases
Onya' Russ!!!

09-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
So next question...

Got any ideas?
I've wondered about the ones on my 100 AW. Perhaps one could put a strap through it for the tripod? Have not tried it yet, but will one of these days. I'll let you know if my tripod falls down the mountain.
09-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Amazon has the 200AW for $89 with free shipping.
not to Australia!
09-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I have yet to come to grips about whether I should get the Slingshot 200 or be satisfied with the Pentax sling bag. I have been reading some of these relative threads and looking online three days this week and do appreciate the input and opinions. I just wish I could physically see the two and consider what I already have.
I am thinking of ordering one of the two soon and asking someone in my family to volunteer to give it as a Christmas gift.
My full size backpack should arrive today but after calling a few local stores yesterday, none of them even had the Slingshot there for me to caress and explore.
Sometimes my greed does come with a conscious.
09-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I have yet to come to grips about whether I should get the Slingshot 200 or be satisfied with the Pentax sling bag.
Matt, can you elaborate on what's bothering you with the Pentax sling? I've been following the sling bag posts rather closely, and the Pentax is at the top of my list at the moment. I'd love to have your opinion.
09-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Well the openings of the Lowepro just look so much larger and the bag seems more padded and cushions the contents so well.
Believe me when I admit that I am fairly frugal and at nearly half the price, the Pentax branded Sling does seem to be adequate for times when I just want to go around with my K10 with 200mm attached, a 50mm, flash unit, tripod or monopod and cards and battery all while either holding my son's hand or on a short bike ride.
The Pentax sling may have larger true dimensions.
Lowepro at 11.8 x 5.9
Pentax at 16.9 x 5.6

So since the Pentax sling is currently high on your list, I can assume that some of the bag, battery, tripod, cleaning kit and other stuff listed in a package on Amazon is something you have in mind? Which is not a bad deal but I may get a grip before I get a third battery, I really don't need another light weight tripod but I will need some really good cleaning tools soon as well. The inside of the digital bodies just have me scared to do anything but change lenses in a vacuum airlock.

I don't see much practical and designed way of expanding the Pentax bag system in the way that the Lowepro has a few straps or snaps to add the pouches or cases to the external of the bag and don't understand if either bag will carry a tripod or monopod unless it is tied or somehow strapped to the bottom or one side.

Last edit I promise.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 09-11-2008 at 09:22 AM.
09-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I have yet to come to grips about whether I should get the Slingshot 200 or be satisfied with the Pentax sling bag. I have been reading some of these relative threads and looking online three days this week and do appreciate the input and opinions. I just wish I could physically see the two and consider what I already have.
I am thinking of ordering one of the two soon and asking someone in my family to volunteer to give it as a Christmas gift.
My full size backpack should arrive today but after calling a few local stores yesterday, none of them even had the Slingshot there for me to caress and explore.
Sometimes my greed does come with a conscious.
For what it is worth, probably nothing, I like the LowePro bag because it looks just like a kid's school pack. Bland colours, not big red Pentax label to attract the light fingered crowd. It doesn't shout "Here's a bunch of expensive camera stuff to rip off!"
09-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Here I am yesterday at the St Louis Forest Park with my Slingshot 200 AW over me shoulder, I had it on for close to 6 hours yesterday, and it was pretty comfy !! Used the 12 second timer, and sat my camera on a post, lol

09-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

There is also the M-ROCKsling bags. The Olympic and Arches. I had a Lowepro Slingshot 100 but I think the M-ROCK Olympic has a better shape. You can fit more in the M-ROCK.

Tenba has an interesting Shootout sling bag. The video gives a good idea how it can be used. It looks ideal for people with long lenses as you can gut the bag then load straight through the top door.

Sling bags are great but are not suited for every day use. They take a toll on the kneck and shoulder.

The Lowepro Fastpack bags are regular backpacks that have side openings like the slingshot bags. You can use them like a slingshot when shooting but get a more comfortable double strap fit when on the move. I have the Fastpack 100. It is much easier on the neck and shoulders but I hate the shape of it. The top compartment is to big which makes the lower compartment to small. It has a nice size but overall the design should be better.