Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #1

Trying to decide on a bag for K100D

This is driving me nuts. I guess I need to decide on how I will use the bag most of the time.
I enjoy hiking and would love to take my camera on day-hikes. For that purpose, it seems like a combination camera bag/backpack would work best. I was thinking something like the Lowepro Rover AWII or the Tamrac Adventure series.
The problem is, those are large and bulky if I'm not hiking but still need a bag for my camera (walking around an amusement park..etc.). For that purpose, it almost seems like a small sling-style bag like the Lowepro Slingshot or Tamrac Velocty series would work nice.
There also seems to be times when a simple toploader worn on a belt would be best.
I don't plan to carry a ton of equipment most of the time....My K100D body with perhaps a Tamron 28-300mm lens attached and the 18-55mm kit lens along for the ride. I guess the logical solution is to buy more than one type of bag, but I'd rather not have to spend that much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

09-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd recommend 2 bags: a lowepro with that can carry your camera + 3 lenses (one lens being on the camera), and an official Pentax pag just for your camera with a lens

I prefer to have 2-3 lenses with me at a time than to carry around my entire collection

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My suggestions...l

For a backpack the Lowepro Micro trecker...

For a belt bag the Lowepro Photo Runner...
09-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
My suggestions...l

For a backpack the Lowepro Micro trecker...

For a belt bag the Lowepro Photo Runner...
I'"ll check 'em out. Thanks.

09-21-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I was just coming here to post the same question. I have K110D with the 3 lenses and the flash. I picked up the Tamrac 4372 from Wolf Camera last week. By the time all my gear came in, the case is maxed out, and I know I am not done getting gear. It is a good case for taking what I got but I was wondering if I should get a bigger one, eventually I wanna get the K10D and I am sure moe lenses. I guess should I get a bigger one ti replace this or in addition to it. The more modular the better cuz that Sigma lens is 77mm wide, that is bulky as all get out.
09-22-2006, 05:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It seems almost impossible to get by with just one bag. Between my boyfriend and me, we have 3 digital SLRs, 2 film SLRs, and 2 P&S. I have a small camera bag that fits one body and a couple lenses, he has a camera bag that fits a lot more equipment, but it's very bulky, so he just got a backpack camera bag and really likes it (and I took over his bigger camera bag!) He also got us a pelican case for travel or when we go off-roading to protect the equipment better. That's also what we store our equipment in when it's at home.
09-22-2006, 05:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
I keep trying to figure out how I will actually use the camera and bag. For example: Let's say I'm thinking about a bag for hiking so I go out and spend $115 on a combination camera bag/backpack like the Lowepro Rover. When I go on hike, I would imagine that 99% of the time I will want my camera out and ready. I don't know how often it will be packed in the bag. It seems like over-kill to spend that much on a setup that the camera won't be in very often. Maybe I should be looking for the most comfortable way to carry the camera around my neck (out and ready). Anyone know of a better stap system than the standard Pentax strap the camera came with?
09-22-2006, 07:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Check out the Op/Tech Pro Loop Strap at www.procameragear.com. I just got one last week and it is sooooo comfortable.

09-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xfraser Quote
Check out the Op/Tech Pro Loop Strap at www.procameragear.com. I just got one last week and it is sooooo comfortable.
Cool!! I like that! I might just have to order one of those. Have you ever seen anything that would work in conjunction with that stap which would hold the camera against your chest while walking or hiking? I don't like how a camera will start to swing as you walk. Thanks for that link!
09-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I use a Lowepro Off Road most of the time. I dunno if they still sell them. I can carry the DS, mounted lens, 3-4 detached lenses and my EF500 Super flash. It's a waist carried system with a shoulder strap.
I also have a Tamrac Pro5 (I think that is the model), for when I need to carry and extra body or more lenses. I used this more when I was shooting film, it's more for storage now.

I've been thinking about finding something smaller than the Off Road, for when I just want the body & one lens, but I haven't really looked yet.

dk
09-22-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gadgetnu Quote
Have you ever seen anything that would work in conjunction with that stap which would hold the camera against your chest while walking or hiking? I don't like how a camera will start to swing as you walk.
I don't know of anything "official", but a very wise person came up with the idea of something like a dog choke collar. The camera strap has quick links that you could attach the two ends of the collar to. It would probably be easy to make something using the old pentax strap as the waist/chest strap part.
09-23-2006, 08:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Anyone have a Slingshot?

I hike a good bit too, and have been considering the larger Slingshot. Sounds like it'd accomodate the camera with a lens on, a couple other lenses and bits and pieces, with a little space for my lunch. In the past I've carted a pair of binoculars around on one of those fancy straps that puts the weight on your shoulders rather than neck, and keeps them from flapping around, but I find that inconvenient in combination with a backpack. I like the idea of being able to swing a bag around and grab the camera or swap lenses, rather than having to put the pack down and rummage. Have any of you used one of these bags? Is it as handy as it sounds? Is it comfortable for a day's hiking?

Julie
11-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
Forum Member

I'm using 2 bags right now. one of which is the lowepro Nova 2 AW and the other of which is an old Jansport backpack. I use the Lowe when walking in the field, as it has quite a biot of cushioning, and has an integral rain cover. Most of the time I use my backpack to carry my DS, several lenses and my Sigma EF-500. Each of the lenses are in a cushioned Lowepro lens case, the DS in a cushioned Delsey DSLR case, and the Flash goes in an old cushined binocular case. I have added a bit of extra padded foam to most of the cases (especially the delsey). This allows me to have an inexpensive, yet highly modular system for carrying my camera and other gear.

I'm currently trying to decide on whether I am going to get a Lowepro Slingshot 200, or a new backpack that has a bit of integral cushioning as a new primary bag.
11-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Im using a Tamrac Expedition 75 (i think its the 75 )

It fits everything i have in it. And it is really comfortable on my back.