Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #1

Any Optech users - what connectors?

I tried some optech straps and decided that the super classic strap is perfect for my needs.

The question is.. which connector?

They do the standrad type bino connector, but the others look of more interest.

The pro strap looks like a good one - just wondered if it attaches ok to the D-rings ok?

Looked at the Uni-loop, but as far as I can see, its only a benifit if you intend to change the strap for a different type.

03-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I look at the uni-loop connectors on the pro strap as future proof in a way. Maybe in the future you might want to get a sling strap. If so, you are all set.

Also, when working on a tripod I find a neck strap gets in the way - sometimes to the point that my hand could get caught in the strap and pull everything over. Real easy to remove the neck strap temporarily with the quick connectors.

I don't use a neck strap at all - I hate them. I do use a sling strap that only comes with the quick connectors. But my wife only likes a neck strap on her camera. I am getting her a pro strap, and am getting it with the quick connectors (uni-loop).
03-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advise - will certainly go pro or uni. Hopefully I can find a camera shop that stocks both at the weekend and have a look. Do the Uni loops add much bulk to the strap? Hoping to still fit it all in my case ok!
03-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use an Envy pad with a sling strap and one uni loop on the left D ring.

Stormtech and I have a similar setup with a hand grip on the right side of the camera.

I find a neck strap uncomfortable.

Your best bet is to order a custom setup from the optech USA website.

03-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for the uni-loop, very easy to take the strap off completely when the camera is on the tri-pod. I have one attached to the left d-ring and the other to an arca-swiss plate on the bottom. If you connect the uni-loops to themselves you get a functional left handed hand strap. Which is great to give you something to hang onto when moving the camera .

I use the sling strap similar to Stormtech and Crewl1, just hate neck straps. With the sling strap over left shoulder the camera hangs at right hip and I can go all day with it there without neck pain. Don't even notice it unless the lens is really big.
03-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I went with a Lowepro Speedster neck strap - grippy on one side for non-slip, smooth nylon on the other side for easy slip. Then I contacted Lowepro and talked them into another set of quick release clips and made a strap extender. I can either wear the camera around my neck or cross-body sling style (smooth nylon side in) with the extender. The extender doesn't take up any otherwise productive space in my camera bag.

The only time I won't use some kind of extra drop protection with my camera is when it is mounted on a tripod. And like others, I find the whole strap is a nuisance in that situation. I have drilled two small holes through my viewfinder blind and sewed it to the inside left strap stub. Even with the strap removed, it is always at hand for tripod use
03-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I love the Op Tech mini loop quick connectors. I have 2 on every body and interchange wrist straps and shoulder straps as needed..........

03-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Think I will go for super classic as like the size and uni loop connectors. Might get the sling strap too.
03-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
What's the main difference between the super classic and pro strap? Is it just mainly the width of the pad?
03-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayX2A Quote
What's the main difference between the super classic and pro strap? Is it just mainly the width of the pad?
I think so. The pro strap has a boomerang shape and more bounce control to it as well. I use em a lot. (I'd also go with the 3/8' webbing over those little loops, myself, those can work just fine with either d-rings on lugs or the slot kind just fine. But that's somewhat down to preference: either will work.) (The sling setups supposed to be nice, too, I haven't tried it, myself, but some of the guys here seem to give it good reviews. Myself, I tend to be a little change-resistant about some things. )
03-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #11

Original Poster
Testing a black rapid at the min. Not yet convinced, so going to try optech.
03-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayX2A Quote
Testing a black rapid at the min. Not yet convinced, so going to try optech.
Let us know your thoughts when you are done comparing.

Edit to add: I just put up a review page for the OpTech Sling Strap;

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Last edited by stormtech; 03-25-2013 at 05:43 AM.