Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The important thing is to get a good backpack first and foremost, then fit your gear in it.
If you are looking at more than a day hike and expect to be carrying more than a camera and a lens or two, I believe that you have to decide whether you are taking a photo trip or a backpacking trip. If it's the former, then photo-specific packs are much more functional for photography. These days (compared to 30 years ago when I first looked into them) they are also much more ergonomic. But on a photo trip it really helps to have companions along who can spare you the weight of the other 15 pounds of non-photo necessities.

I've found that the non-photo backpacks I've used or tested always short shrift the photography requirements via slow access, or layout problems or something else. Of course it depends on what your shooting plan is, but typically I'm huffing a tripod, lighting, and 3-5 lenses depending. It also depends on your fitness and age. So it comes down to what stays behind: back country necessities or photo necessities.

Lately as I've embraced latter middle-age, I'm taking 12 hour photo day hikes from a basecamp that I've driven to, or enjoying multi-day backpacking with minimal photography gear. That's a driver for me to get the Q a few months ago.

M

03-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
This review I wrote may be of interest to you. Also pay attention to the update that I added in Post # 8 in that thread.

Canon 200 EG Backpack Review

-Heie
I have one too anh love it.
03-23-2013, 04:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Miguel, my particular backpack has a top compartment and another at the bottom. The camera gear goes at the bottom. The tripod or monopod goes to the side. It's better than any camera backpack I've ever tried, both for the camera and for me. But to each his own of course.