Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Backpack suggestions

Hello fellow Pentaxians. I am wondering if anyone could suggest a good backpack that can fit:

Pentax k-5 with sigma 70-200 mounted( hood removed)
Pentax K-7 with 15mm mounted
a metz flash unit
and extra space for a 100mm WR, 35mm Ltd and a 55-200 WR.

Planning on a summer trip and lugging around these gears in a messenger style bag is killing the shoulder.

Any suggestions or recommendations will surely helps.

03-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
There are actually many secondary considerations besides the size of the backpack.

For instance; what level of water protection might one be looking for? Some backpacks have their own covers "as-is" that provide an extraordinary high level of protection against water/rain. Some offer a form of an All Weather cover; which helps out greatly, but - doesn't typically protect every side of the bag. There are even soft sided camera backpacks that have compartments that are completely waterproof - even to the extent of being able to be submersed, but also...

I have two of those exact same types of backpacks; one being the LowePro DZ200. While a majority of the inner chamber is completely waterproof, it also has outer compartments which are not. Plus the access level to the bag is a bit difficult in everyday usage - it mostly something to use just to carry equipment from one place to another.

Another minor consideration, but one I run into all of the time... Does it have to be able to be carried with you on board of a plane?

There are even other minor bells and whistles; such as wheels and all that a number of companies offer on their models.

I'd suggest looking further into the following companies...

LowePro - their site even offers a bag (size) finder based on ones equipment specs and other features.
Tamrac (preferably there three digit models such as the 767, and 777), and also Brenthaven - the company that offers soft sided packs that offer a level of protection that no other company has.
03-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

It really depends on your shooting style and what other things you would usually carry other than this gear. I personally have always liked Lowepro bags and would suggest you just go to their website and browse through their photo backpacks. I often use a Fastpack250 when not carrying a ton of glass because it is comfortable, holds my camera gear securely, and has a slot for my laptop and a large compartment for a couple drives or card readers, rocket blower, release forms, notepad, batteries, charger, and other odds and ends. It also has a nice pocket for filters and designated memory card holders. Other than that, if you want to carry a lot more glass there are the Pro Trekkers which I often use and like as well. You really should go and try different brands and styles out because a bag can make a huge difference in your photo outing. Good luck!
03-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do check out Kata bags. They seem to have more thoughtful and ergonomic design features than most others. I have owned a 3N1-30 bag for years. While it is convertible to L/R sling style, I always use it as a photo backpack. I've loaded it up with more than what you have planned and have hiked hundreds of dayhike miles. The waistband is very functional, and there is a separate compartment in which I put water and food. The bag also comes with a condom to keep out the rain. It works well enough here in the Pacific NW.

I've owned a few Lowepro packs--they and Tamrac were pretty much the only games in town for a spell, but have never liked the fit to my very average USA male body. I still use one to huff around my 4x5 kit. Thinktank is another heralded brand, a shooting partner loves their stuff, but I have always felt their designs to be a bit overengineered.

I'd suggest you run through some real life shooting scenarios to see what kind of bags will really meet your needs. When I'm out for a full day and expect to be changing lenses frequently, I'll carry a waist bag that can hold two lenses. It's a lot quicker than pulling off the pack and unzipping stuff blah blah blah. I'll also sew a small covered pocket on a forward facing shoulder strap for an iPhone, or sunglasses, or a filter. If you will be using a tripod, it is critical that your bag can securely accommodate that as well as the ball head and any lighting. Many cannot; the Lowepro bag I own does a lousy job, whereas Kata is just right.

It also helps to have a companion who can carry the food and bug spray.

M

03-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Cambags.com is a great site for comparing bag and backpacks. Many of the user reviews show pictures with the equipment they carry.

Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

Tim
03-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 70-200 and similar sized lenses to the ones you describe.
I have two medium sized backpacks that I have sometimes used that were quite cheap and I am reasonably happy with:

Vanguard Uprise 45

This is quite spacious and lets me carry the K-5 with 70-200 attached via a door on the left of the backpack, plus lenses' flash etc, as well as a netbook on top. I can even fit a monopod inside. The main compartment also opens from the rear, which makes everything quite secure. The backpack has great straps and support and is very comfortable to carry even with a heavy load of gear. It also has a pouch for carrying a tripod, a weather cover etc.

Tamrac Travel Pack 73

Although this also comfortably fits the 70-200, this is a little more compact than the Vanguard, but looks a little less like a camera bag too. It isn't as comfortable to carry as the Vanguard, but does have lots of nice internal pockets and outside webbing. It is also a bit more weatherproof than the Vanguard.

Both backpacks aren't perfect by any means but so far they have worked OK for me.
03-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

This review I wrote may be of interest to you. Also pay attention to the update that I added in Post # 8 in that thread.

Canon 200 EG Backpack Review

-Heie

03-22-2013, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Member Heie posted an interesting review on this recently, link below.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/200693-af...-backpack.html

Oops while I was away getting the link, himself posted it too.
03-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Ha! Beat you to it!

03-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #10

Original Poster
Awesome guys. Thanks for all the feedback and the vanguard and canon 200 looks interesting. I will definitely head out to cambags.com for a good look.
03-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xanis Quote
Pentax k-5 with sigma 70-200 mounted( hood removed)
Pentax K-7 with 15mm mounted
a metz flash unit
and extra space for a 100mm WR, 35mm Ltd and a 55-200 WR.
I don't have any of those items except for a K-7, but here is the Canon 200EG with stuff that should be about the same size.

From the top left, that's a *ist DL with an F28/2.8, trying to simulate the K-7/DA15. The AF 540FGZ flash could maybe use some extra padding here, maybe your Metz is smaller.
Middle left is an FA35/2 with hood, should be bigger than your DA35/2.8. Then there's a K-7 with a Tokina 400/5.6, a half inch longer than your Sigma, a bit skinnier.
On the bottom left, a Tamron 90mm macro and an F70-210 stand in for the 100/2.8 WR and the DA 50-200 WR. Room for one more.

I wouldn't mind a light-colored interior on this bag, otherwise I like it, especially the price.
03-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have the Naneu Urban Gear U120N Urban Gear U120n | Naneu Bags , which will fit what you listed and more. The smaller one U60N Urban Gear U60n | Naneu Bags should be sufficient already for you.
But Also check out the bags from CLick Elite, the Pro express should fit what you have Pro Express

I myself have been eyeing the F-stop gear Guru Guru | f-stop and street pro Street Pro | f-stop . haven't yet made my mind up which of the two to get
03-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I don't have any of those items except for a K-7, but here is the Canon 200EG with stuff that should be about the same size.

From the top left, that's a *ist DL with an F28/2.8, trying to simulate the K-7/DA15. The AF 540FGZ flash could maybe use some extra padding here, maybe your Metz is smaller.
Middle left is an FA35/2 with hood, should be bigger than your DA35/2.8. Then there's a K-7 with a Tokina 400/5.6, a half inch longer than your Sigma, a bit skinnier.
On the bottom left, a Tamron 90mm macro and an F70-210 stand in for the 100/2.8 WR and the DA 50-200 WR. Room for one more.

I wouldn't mind a light-colored interior on this bag, otherwise I like it, especially the price.
wow i really like how the lenses seem to stack up.
03-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I have the Naneu Urban Gear U120N Urban Gear U120n | Naneu Bags , which will fit what you listed and more. The smaller one U60N Urban Gear U60n | Naneu Bags should be sufficient already for you.
But Also check out the bags from CLick Elite, the Pro express should fit what you have Pro Express

I myself have been eyeing the F-stop gear Guru Guru | f-stop and street pro Street Pro | f-stop . haven't yet made my mind up which of the two to get
weird, i was looking at those bags last night and i was like these are big bags and should be able to carry everything lol.
03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

If you do a summer trip, you'll be carrying a lot of stuff in addition to your camera gear. So get yourself a great hiking backpack, maybe with a trampoline back, but in any case with good shoulders and hip support, and plenty of space for everything. Then, get one or more inserts to go in the bag and protect your gear. I've recently discovered Cubeze inserts by Ape, they're cheap and great, with a lifetime warranty. Otherwise, scour eBay to find inserts that will fit your bag.

The important thing is to get a good backpack first and foremost, then fit your gear in it.