Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Camera strap lugs: a lament and inquiry

I cannot be the only one who hates the current crop of DSLR strap lugs that sit recessed in the corners of the camera body. Try as I might, I haven't figured out a good way to attach metal rings to them so I can use older camera straps that attach with metal clips instead of the thin nylon webbing of newer straps. Incidentally, I am using a K-30 but this is a problem for a lot of newer DSLRs.

So, does anyone out there have a good fix?

03-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

This product was brought up on another camera strap thread.

BosTail - Frees up the Tripod Socket. Eliminates Tripod Socket Attachment Fitting Other Straps Use. Attaches to Camera Strap Lug.

Tim
03-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. I use a sling with tripod lug, this might be worth considering.
03-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the thread! I've wondered about the strength of camera body strap lugs. I remember reading elsewhere that the strap lugs on the Contax rangefinders weren't very strong, for example, and I've always had my doubts about any such lugs.

I would hope that the lugs on the 645 are pretty strong, given the weight of that camera and one of its bigger lenses.

I recently bought a Blackrapid sling for use with my K5 with battery grip. My intent is to use the Blackrapid only with a big zoom, and to then attach the sling to the lens tripod mount. Since the battery grip is plastic I have little faith in the strength of the grip's tripod socket, and having followed the link given above, not much more in the tripod socket on the camera body.

03-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

The old triangular shaped split rings fit.
03-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Really? I gave it a try, but no luck. Sounds like I'll have to try again. I have some groovy old neck straps in need of some DSLR love!
03-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I have some groovy old neck straps
I guess we'll be able to pick you out in the crowd.

03-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

remove the straps and get something like the rapid strap system. The only issue is when you have two cameras both with these long straps kicking around the front of the car
03-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
You can probably also use O rings from a hardware store
03-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If the problem is finding a source for the split rings, I use 3/8' Stainless Steel heavy duty split rings that I bought at a fishing tackle shop. I've used these on all Pentax bodies previous to the K-7/K-5 series bodies that already come supplied with triangular split rings. A trick to installing them is to use a hemostat, slide one of the jaws between one of the split ends and clamp it, then once started, use the clamp to rotate the split ring until it seats.

Scott
03-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I cannot be the only one who hates the current crop of DSLR strap lugs that sit recessed in the corners of the camera body. Try as I might, I haven't figured out a good way to attach metal rings to them so I can use older camera straps that attach with metal clips instead of the thin nylon webbing of newer straps. Incidentally, I am using a K-30 but this is a problem for a lot of newer DSLRs.

So, does anyone out there have a good fix?
Simple, just 3/8" webbing links with a ring in the other end for the dog clips. I've been meaning to make some for a friend, now that you remind me.
03-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Man, how I love the wisdom of the Internet! Thanks for the ideas!
03-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Simple, just 3/8" webbing links with a ring in the other end for the dog clips. I've been meaning to make some for a friend, now that you remind me.
I'd like to make set. Which parts, from where and what does it look like when done? Thanks!!
03-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
I'd like to make set. Which parts, from where and what does it look like when done? Thanks!!
Basically, it's just a pair of links that have a ring on one end: it looks like the webbing at the end of a stock strap: you take a fairly short length and and you double it over itself into a little figure 8, including the ring of your choice in one end.

Basically, fold it roughly in thirds, putting the ring at one fold. You could sew that ring right there (It'll come out slimmer and tidier that way,) and then use a strap buckle to attach to camera, or you can use a buckle that's big enough to pass through three times, the last time being the one that goes through the camera's slots. Then you can trim any excess.

Can you visualize that? Links you could use seem to have come with a Domke Gripper strap to much the same ends.