Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax user Quote
isn't that a bit too much to carry? 2 cameras and gun and your other gear
Umm...yea it was a bit much lol, but I wasn't in a leadership role - I would take my rank off my uniform as a joke with the soldiers and also to further emphasize that I am "just a Joe" on the ground with a camera - ignore me and my presence, but if sh*t starts to hit the fan, then order me around like you would any other soldier. But yes, it got incredibly heavy and cumbersome. But it was worth it because a very large portion of my proudest Afghanistan photography came out of that.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Off-topic, but here goes... Are you allowed to carry personal stuff like a camera or two when patrolling, or are you somehow mandated to take pictures?
Yea we kinda hijacked the thread a little bit here - sorry OP!

But yes, aside from your assigned/issued gear, every soldier has something of their own on their kit. Cameras (the little "all"-proof point and shoots) were extremely popular, including GoPros mounted on their combat helmets, knives/bayonets, and because we were combat engineers, we carried demolitions, axes, and some other stuff. A lot of my soldiers were dippers (smokeless tobacco), so it was a bad day if they forgot to bring a can or five with them on mission.

To bring this back on topic, I have the F-Stop Satori, and while the quality is exceptional, there's a few things I'd improve about it. First, the back portion that opens isn't large enough - it should be wider as it is too narrow in my opinion. Also, I was originally looking at the Tilopa, but they were out, so I ordered the Satori. Honestly, the Satori came in at the size I thought the Tilopa would be. I have a few bags myself, and it claims to be 65L, however it is just a hair smaller than my NorthFace Terra 45.

I don't know who would use the Satori for a full expedition, but in my opinion (and maybe I just pack too much?), it is not an expedition sized bag. I have a GoLite Odyssey 90L bag as well, and THAT bastard can fit a child in it Just something to be aware of - I think F-Stop bags are excellent quality, but double and triple check the sizes because I was underwhelmed with their "flagship" expedition bag.

-Heie

03-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
GoPros mounted on their combat helmets
I imagine that can lead to some pretty disturbing videos...
03-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The 18-135mm is the perfect ski-slope lens. Weather sealed, solid construction, fast focussing, extremely resistant to flare, punchy colours, not too expensive in case of accident. Captures the wide angle view at the top or bottom of the hill and zooms in on the action, no lens change required.