Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 01:56 AM   #1

Bag and Lens combo for skiing

Hey PF's,
Heading to New Zealand for a holiday with my partner in a couple months.
My dillemah is: what camera bag/lens to ski with on the slopes?

I currently have a lowepro hatchback 22l as a backpack and a crumpler 6mdh as a shoulder bag. I was planning to take my K5 with: Da 16-50, Da 50-135, Da 55 along for the trip as we are doing a bit of travelling before going skiing for 3 - 4 days
What bag and lens combo would be reccomended for getting shots skiing 'on the slopes' whilst having the odd ski myself. I dont mind investing in more gear (bag wise) and just taking one lens for the session. I was originally going to take the backpack however this may not be a good idea on the ski slopes as im not too confident in its weatherproof capabilities? So far ive heard good things about the chest mounted bags. Maybe 50-135 mounted on k5 in a chest bag?

Any help much appreciated! thanks.
Also feel free to mention any of the must see places in 'Winter' on the South island as this will be my first time in NZ!
Cheers

03-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I literally just came from a weekend skiing in Austria, so I may be of some assistance

Try this, and then read post number 8 towards the bottom by me as well:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/200693-af...-backpack.html

Hopefully this helps.

-Heie
03-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I literally just came from a weekend skiing in Austria, so I may be of some assistance

Try this, and then read post number 8 towards the bottom by me as well:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/200693-af...-backpack.html

Hopefully this helps.

-Heie
Thanks for the suggestion!
I'd like to use my Lowepro hatchback 22l however i dont know whether it could handle the spills as well :S
Does the canon provide quick access to your gear? That is where my lowepro is fairly lacking. It has to be set down onto the snow and unzipped before access is possible...
Which lens did you find yourself attaching on the slopes?
cheers
03-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Umm, fairly quick, however if I was going to take a shot I didn't might stopping to put the bag down. Like I said - I'm not a good skier, so I would either stop completely or even take my skis off and stand just in my boots. And it's a small bag that if you wanted to you could take it off and hold it in one hand while you use the other to unzip and take your camera+lens out of the central compartment of the main pocket.

Also, if I was an incredible skiier and I was confident that falling was way out of the realm of possibility for me, I would have used the Op/Tech Backpack/Reporter straps that hook into the webbing of your backpack and keep your camera hanging in front of you. But alas, I am not a good skier

And a video showing it.

This was how I carried my upper camera when conducting foot patrols in Afghanistan - I have never had the clips or buckles fail on me. The upper camera is the K-7 + DA* 16-50. Also, if you are curious, the lower camera (K-5 + Grip + DA* 60-250) was using the same system's (Op/Tech) Sling Strap, whose buckles were the same and thus interchangeable. Which reminds me, I have been meaning to write a formal review on them...

Hope this helps

-Heie

03-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
I like the idea of the strap however similar to you I am probably going to be less then competent at skiing haha. Do you recall the Da 50-135 being well suited to the slopes ?
When hiking NZ (I just viewed your post :P) did you use the sliding strap system? or did you just return camera into backpack when not in use ?

Thanks for your help !
03-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #6

I've used both of those lenses on ski trip before - I use a lowepro toploader zoom case - it can only fit the camera and either lens but not both, so you could only use one lens on each trip.
I don't think you'll need anything longer than the 50-135 as it's perfect for the sort of distances on the slopes. The 16-50 is good for scenes and the 50-135 good for action shots.
03-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Maybe i'm missing something but why would a chest bag be more weatherproof then a backpack?

There are several brands i would look at.
Kata, are very light and technical sound bags
Click- elite, heard good things about them
Thin tank, technical good bags and more rugged then kata

I've a think-tank, Kata, crumpler and lowe myself and i would not buy the later two again.
Well crumpler are nice and special though, maybe i might buy one but the bags are heavy though...

03-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hey Darren ,
With the Toploader,
Did you prefer the bag to strapped on your front ?
Cheers
03-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DVaughan007 Quote
I like the idea of the strap however similar to you I am probably going to be less then competent at skiing haha. Do you recall the Da 50-135 being well suited to the slopes ? When hiking NZ (I just viewed your post :P) did you use the sliding strap system? or did you just return camera into backpack when not in use ? Thanks for your help !
Actually when hiking my camera was 100% on the backpack straps - even in the rain I never once put my K-30/DA* 16-50 away

Honestly, I would have preferred the DA* 60-250 for the reach. The f/2.8 vs f/4 was irrelevant because it was so bright, even in overcast conditions. That withstanding, the 50-135 was great. I haven't processed the images yet, but when I do I will post them in a similar fashion to when I did the NZ montage (which, thanks for taking a look!).

-Heie
03-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #10

yes I bought a harness from ebay that fits perfectly and strapped it to my front
03-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Forum Member

Umm, fairly quick, however if I was going to take a shot I didn't might stopping to put the bag down. Like I said - I'm not a good skier, so I would either stop completely or even take my skis off and stand just in my boots. And it's a small bag that if you wanted to you could take it off and hold it in one hand while you use the other to unzip and take your camera+lens out of the central compartment of the main pocket.

Also, if I was an incredible skiier and I was confident that falling was way out of the realm of possibility for me, I would have used the Op/Tech Backpack/Reporter straps that hook into the webbing of your backpack and keep your camera hanging in front of you. But alas, I am not a good skier

And a video showing it.

Reporter/Backpack Adaptor - OP/TECH USA System Connectors? - YouTube

This was how I carried my upper camera when conducting foot patrols in Afghanistan - I have never had the clips or buckles fail on me. The upper camera is the K-7 + DA* 16-50. Also, if you are curious, the lower camera (K-5 + Grip + DA* 60-250) was using the same system's (Op/Tech) Sling Strap, whose buckles were the same and thus interchangeable. Which reminds me, I have been meaning to write a formal review on them...

Hope this helps

-Heie
isn't that a bit too much to carry? 2 cameras and gun and your other gear
03-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This was how I carried my upper camera when conducting foot patrols in Afghanistan
Off-topic, but here goes... Are you allowed to carry personal stuff like a camera or two when patrolling, or are you somehow mandated to take pictures?
03-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Also check out Clik Elite Clik Elite | Homepage | Adventure Photography Packs/Bags they have camerabags geared towards adventure/sports. And they have some very nice bags. i just got a small waistbag from them for my K-01, and it is very good.
Otherwise the bags from F-stop f-stop || Adventure Photography Camera Packs and Bags - +1.253.236.0070 they have also fantastic bags. The guru with small ICU should fit your set.
03-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DVaughan007 Quote
Bag and Lens combo for skiing
I my only thoughts were well padded and waterproof, as I would spend more time on my backside than standing up.
03-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #15

Original Poster
Cheers for all the info. I really would love the quick access available in the F-Stop kenti. However the Guru and Dakine sequence have very positive reviews :/. hmm my bag addiction grows