Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
lens filter plastic container

Hi, I have a couple of lens filters that did not came with hard cases, and there are the others that I bought with the used leses, that I am willing to remove and keep in my backpack in case I am going to shoot in a dirty environment.

I am searching for a HARD case (not the wallet type of storage that I find in the major online or local stores...) that would allow me to store safely from 58mm to 77mm sizes.

Do you have something to recommend ?

Thanks!

03-23-2013, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same problem not too long ago. My solution was to buy some very cheap filters on ebay (~$1.50-$2 CAD).
When the cheap filters arrived in the mail, I just used the hard plastic case that they came in for my good filters.
03-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Walk down the aisle in your local grocery/hardware/drug/dollar store with a tape measure looking for something cheap that comes in a box the appropriate size? I think I've seen round bead storage containers in roughly the right size.

Which reminds me - disc shaped containers - you could probably get plastic petri dishes from a medical lab supplier in a wide enough range of sizes that with a thin sheet of foam or cloth in the bottom they would hold your filters quite nicely. Just be aware that they come in a huge variety of sizes , shapes and materials and some have vents.

Amazon.com: petri dish
03-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
I just used the hard plastic case that they came in
Now that's what I call a clever bit of recycling, why can't I think up this kind of stuff.

03-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

aww shucks
03-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
I had the same problem not too long ago. My solution was to buy some very cheap filters on ebay (~$1.50-$2 CAD).
When the cheap filters arrived in the mail, I just used the hard plastic case that they came in for my good filters.
Hey, good idea !

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Walk down the aisle in your local grocery/hardware/drug/dollar store with a tape measure looking for something cheap that comes in a box the appropriate size? I think I've seen round bead storage containers in roughly the right size.

Which reminds me - disc shaped containers - you could probably get plastic petri dishes from a medical lab supplier in a wide enough range of sizes that with a thin sheet of foam or cloth in the bottom they would hold your filters quite nicely. Just be aware that they come in a huge variety of sizes , shapes and materials and some have vents.

Amazon.com: petri dish
Yeah ! actually, I found a link on eHow that give the same advice: How to Make a Lens Case | eHow.com

Your second idea is also a good info for me... I work in a scientific area, and we have lots of plastic petri dishes that are going to the recycler bin... I will check if I can find something at the right size... Thanks !

In the meantime, I continuated my research on the Net, and found those interesting items:

OP/TECH USA Filter Pack

useful when switching filters on the field !
I Wonder if that suede Inside would carry mor dust though ?

Another interesting item, if you need lens protection along with their associated filters:
OP/TECH USA Lens/Filter Pouch

Many seems to promote those Filter stack caps... they dont take lots of space, that is niteresting too ! but one need to buy a set per filter size...
filter stack caps| B&H Photo Video

So thank you for your insights, and dont hesitate to add more ideas !

Weevil
03-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Filter stacking... buy a really cheap filter for each thread size. Use double sided tape to attach cardboard to the inside of the filter. Now screw together all your same sized filters, putting the converted cheap filter on the bottom and a lens cap on the top of the stack.

Stacked filters take up the least space and keep the grime out. And if you are rough enough to damage any filter in a stack, I have to question how you treat your other gear. You can use cheap stepping rings to stack multiple sized filters. Of course if you only have one filter in each size, this may be overkill.

03-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
krp
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
This is what I use, since I only own 2 filters.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Filter stacking... buy a really cheap filter for each thread size. Use double sided tape to attach cardboard to the inside of the filter. Now screw together all your same sized filters, putting the converted cheap filter on the bottom and a lens cap on the top of the stack.

Stacked filters take up the least space and keep the grime out. And if you are rough enough to damage any filter in a stack, I have to question how you treat your other gear. You can use cheap stepping rings to stack multiple sized filters. Of course if you only have one filter in each size, this may be overkill.
Wouldn't the filters become stuck together this way?
03-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Two good ideas but the advantage of most filter cases is that they tend to press down on the filter and hold it in place. A bit of foam could solve that problem, of course.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't find, on eBay, people selling lots of filter cases. Might not be cheaper than getting a cheap filter with its case, however.