Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Urgent help requested: Intervalometer and O-GPS1

This is sort of urgent because skies might be clear enough tonight to capture comet C/2011 L4 Pan-STARRS.

I would like to take a timelapse. I can use the intervalometer, but a 300mm lens with exposures of approx 6 seconds may cause star trailing. The O-GPS1 astrotracer can prevent the star trailing, but the astrotracer menu only allows one exposure at a time.

Is there any way to get the intervalometer and O-GPS1 to work together? If not, I will resort to cranking the ISO way up to shorten the exposures.

03-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could always search E-Bay for a remote that has an interval shooting option? I know there's loads of these, and for a reason I suppose. Should run around $20 max.
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the O-GPS1 is single shot only. At least mine resets the shutter after every exposure and requires intervention to trigger it again. Mine did 30s exposures with the 300/4 no problem the other night. This might be something they could modify with a firmware update. Remember that the comet is moving against the starfield so some star trailing is inevitable if you lock onto the comet as your subject for a timelapse.

Jack
03-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
You could always search E-Bay for a remote that has an interval shooting option? I know there's loads of these, and for a reason I suppose. Should run around $20 max.
I don't think external remote will work because the astrotracer requires activating a menu item for each photo. The external switch only simulates pressing the shutter button and can't activate menu items as far as I know.