Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cotton Carrier - Anyone use the side holster?

Hi, gang -

I'm considering some options for carrying a DSLR during backpacking and hikes. Several forums have recommended the Cotton Carrier system. I'm curious if anyone has tried the side holster (Cotton Carrier SIDE HOLSTER for Regular Cameras) alone for this purpose? Good/bad experiences? Is it stable enough for hiking? Does the side location get in the way, or is this better?

Thanks!

03-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Hi, gang -

I'm considering some options for carrying a DSLR during backpacking and hikes. Several forums have recommended the Cotton Carrier system. I'm curious if anyone has tried the side holster (Cotton Carrier SIDE HOLSTER for Regular Cameras) alone for this purpose? Good/bad experiences? Is it stable enough for hiking? Does the side location get in the way, or is this better?

Thanks!
I never used them, but was always searching for a system like this. I do wonder if their StrapShot System wouldn't be even handier when hiking trough the woods or climbing some easier rocks....
03-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
All looks a bit on the exposed side for me, liable to get knocked fairly easily I would have thought.
03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. Another aspect that I didn't consider until recently is whether this setup will work at all without a belt. I often like to hike in lighter shorts, for example. One of their other models or the StrapShot mentioned above may be a better fit.

04-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the regular Cotton Carrier vest and it's a very handy way to carry your camera. I wouldn't go for the side holster myself. If you took a slip while hiking, it's in a very exposed place and I think it would catch on brush, branches, etc. On your chest, the camera is well protected and always handy. I have stenosis in 3 vertabrae in my neck and I can't carry a camera hanging from a strap for very long. The Cotton Carrier has been a real help.
04-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Aside from the exposure to bumps, you either need a WR camera or you will be putting that camera out of reach after the first rain drop falls. I prefer something with a bit more padding and weather proofing so I can keep my camera at hand even in a light drizzle. And this also assumes you are going to go with only one lens. Me, I would carry a weather resistance hip pack with room for at least two lens, regardless which lens is mounted. It takes too long to swap equipment out of a hiking day pack when on the move. I rig my camera with a cross-body strap above my pack so it slides easily. I don't like straps that use the tripod socket - - - because I also have a sturdy monopod that doubles as a walking stick. There is a quick release plate to the camera's tripod socket and the other half mounted on the monopod.