Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cheap batteries?

I was wondering what peoples experiences were with cheap batteries. I have a k-01 so same battery as the k5/k7's (k-01 will not use the AA adapter from what I can tell). There are lots of cheap batteries on ebay starting at $5 and up. I wouldn't mind paying for the $10 ones on ebay but some have the same label as the $5 ones (same battery, higher price?). I wouldn't mind paying $20 for an after market one from b&h/adorama if there is significant reason to but if its just a matter of a little better capacity (and they are all safe to use), then I would rather pay a lot less to get a little less capacity (and get several batteries).

Fyi I have bought tons of cheap ebay batteries for other cameras, cel phones etc and they have worked fine. If it has 60-70% of the capacity of a pentax battery for 15% of the price, it sounds like a deal to me. I did have a sony camera that would not function well on most aftermarket batteries (a particular infolithium battery and it wasn't a capacity issue, it was a known issue if the battery didn't communicate right with the camera, it would shut down).

Right now I'm broke from buying the camera so I was thinking just 1 or 2 under $10 batteries for now. In the long run, if at all possible I would like to avoid having to drop $150 on batteries like I did with the sony.

Has anyone heard of any being unsafe or not functioning right with these cameras? I was also thinking, as its a larger battery, perhaps the cheapest might not be good (its got to cost for materials so bigger batteries would cost more). I just see no difference between the cheapest on ebay and the ones that cost 2-3 times that much. Of course it might be good to pay a little more for a seller with good feedback. \

Any thoughts or opinions?

03-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a pair of the Wasabi brand ones. I cannot tell any difference between them and the Pentax ones. Weight, case markings, everything is identical except the name sticker.
03-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have a pair of the Wasabi brand ones. I cannot tell any difference between them and the Pentax ones. Weight, case markings, everything is identical except the name sticker.
Ditto for me, plus my Wasabi batteries came witha much nicer charger than the Pentax corded model - all for <$25. Remember that Pentax does NOT make their own batteries.
03-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

rating on the Pentax battery is very correct though, but more often then not the rating on third party are always lower then what is in the paper. I do notice I get a few more shots out of the Pentax one of I'm really on a roll for a day but for the rest I don't notice a difference either.

03-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For the amount of investment I've got tied up in the rest of the equipment, I'm not cutting corners on the batteries, so it's Pentax branded originals for me all round.
03-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually wanted the charger, (plugin wall charger with no cord), as a travel charger. The batteries came along for free as far as I'm concerned. But they work fine, and the charger is really nice.

And as a bonus the charger has a car adapter as well so I can charge in the car as well as at the hotel at night when on trips.
03-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Wasabi batteries and charger

The same goes for me, $26.99 on Amazon.com, 2 batteries and wall - car charger. Wasabi batteries weigh 1.75 grams less than the Pentax battery but give acceptable life, especially for the money.

03-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wasabi here as well.
03-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought this one for the K-5 from eBay (sort by price): NEW BATTERY D-LI90 DLI90 for PENTAX K-7/K-7D/K-5/645D CAMERA Free Shipping | eBay

I bought 2 of these for the Q from eBay (sort by price): Battery for Pentax D-Li68 DLi68 Optio S10 S12 A36 Q | eBay

The performance is identical for both battery types to the Pentax oem ones at a fraction of the cost. The third party batteries for the K10D/K20D bodies also performed equally well.
03-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I wouldnt put wasabi in the camera though... myth buster did a test once with chilli and metal bars i believe, it wasnt corrosive if i remeber correctly so wasabi might not be as well but it makes such a mess...
03-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I actually wanted the charger, (plugin wall charger with no cord), as a travel charger. The batteries came along for free as far as I'm concerned. But they work fine, and the charger is really nice.

And as a bonus the charger has a car adapter as well so I can charge in the car as well as at the hotel at night when on trips.
I actually like the corded ones, since not all the countries use the same socket you just need a different cable instead of a new charger.
03-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I actually like the corded ones, since not all the countries use the same socket you just need a different cable instead of a new charger.

ps. getting messages about duplicate and what not but i don't see my comment, lets try again
03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My old Panasonic P&S had a way of telling what battery was inserted (panasonics way of maximizing profit by forcing use of their branded battery). The Washabi brand battery was the only one that would work in the camera that was not sold by Panasonic. So far they have worked fine in all my cameras. All I can say is that Pentax does NOT make batteries.
03-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote

ps. getting messages about duplicate and what not but i don't see my comment, lets try again
Another reason to get the Wasabi two battery/charger set is that it includes a European adaptor as well as a car adaptor for the included charger, all for about $25 usd.

Last edited by Roob-N-Boots; 03-29-2013 at 03:55 PM.
03-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sounds good but i would like it the other way around though. adaptor for UK and US socket.
Ah well, the Pentax charger serves me fine.