Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wired hotshoe extension cable/adapter for K2000 & Metz 48 AF-1

I want to use my Metz 48 AF-1 on a flash bracket without losing any functionality.

The Pentax branded solution seems to be:

Amazon.com: Pentax Hotshoe Adapter FG: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Pentax Hotshoe adapter F: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Extension Cord F5P: Camera & Photo

A third party solution that's considerably less expensive is this:

Amazon.com: Precision Design Quick Flip Rotating FB350 Flash Bracket + Off-Camera Extension Cord for Pentax K-x, K-7, K20D, K200D & K2000 Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Any opinions or alternatives? Thanks in advance.

04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I went with the 3 piece Pentax solution for around $40 second hand and it works well. There used to be one piece 3rd party versions available for around $20 but I'm not sure of quality or if they are still available.
04-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I want to use my Metz 48 AF-1 on a flash bracket without losing any functionality.
Any opinions or alternatives? Thanks in advance.
You can use either one.

The Pentax solution is not inexpensive. The only advantage it has over the third-party solution is that if the flash is a Pentax AF540FGZ, the cable can be directly attached to the flash, thus saving the cost, and the hassle of one adapter. But if the flash does not have the cable input port, a third-party cable is just as good.

I've been using the cable I have (I think it's JJC, but am not sure) for 4 years now. No problem.

Read this thread for photos & more details.

Some more photos here.
04-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi MD Optofonik,

You have to be careful when choosing the Pentax components. There are 2 different "F" hotshoe modules. The F hotshoe flash module has a hot flash foot on the bottom and a hotshoe on the top and is meant to provide a P-TTL hotshoe on camera in addition to the plug for the F5P cord for the remote. The "FG" has a hot flash foot on the bottom and only an F5P plug on the top, so is meant for use with only a remote P-TTL flash via the cord. The "F" off-camera hotshoe module has a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the base and a hotshoe on top so you can mount the shoe on a tripod or lightstand. I believe the links in your post show both the F and FG on camera modules and no off camera F module. Though this would be functional, because of the hot flash foot on the bottom of the F module, you'd be limited to using a flash shoe to mount it remotely.

You need either an F hotshoe module or an FG hotshoe module,
a F 5P cord (either the coiled 3 ft or straight 9.5 ft), and
an F off camera hotshoe module for a complete set.

These show up used for considerably less than the new price which tends to be a bit spendy. I'ts not a bad idea to regularly visit KEH and B&H'a used Dept for these if you want one. for about 1/2 the new prices. Of course, if you need one right away, this doesn't help much.

All of the third party cords that I've seen use considerably heavier gauge coiled cord and are heavier in weight and though they are the same length as the coiled 3 ft cord of the Pentax set, they are effectively a lot shorter because of the weight and higher "spring rate" of the heavier cord. Quality is generally very good though, and you can't lose components as you might with the Pentax setup.

Personally, I have one of each, and almost always use the Pentax set because I prefer the lighter gauge cord.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 04-05-2013 at 01:56 AM.
04-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
You can use either one.

The Pentax solution is not inexpensive. The only advantage it has over the third-party solution is that if the flash is a Pentax AF540FGZ, the cable can be directly attached to the flash, thus saving the cost, and the hassle of one adapter. But if the flash does not have the cable input port, a third-party cable is just as good.

I've been using the cable I have (I think it's JJC, but am not sure) for 4 years now. No problem.

Read this thread for photos & more details.

Some more photos here.
Found the JJC at Amazon and took delivery of it today. Thanks. I also order the Cheaplights wireless ones as well. Haven't received those yet.