Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

No? You probably refer to a 283 or 285, both are good flashes. Do you wish to shoot with a flash more often? Do you wish a manual flash for studio, a PTTL flash?

Had to go dig it out of the basement to make sure.... yes, it's an early 80's vintage 283. It works fine, but I can't use it (from what I've read) with the current Pentax line up because of the 283's high trigger voltage.

04-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
Had to go dig it out of the basement to make sure.... yes, it's an early 80's vintage 283. It works fine, but I can't use it (from what I've read) with the current Pentax line up because of the 283's high trigger voltage.
You can verify this easily if you have a multimeter. Just power up the flash, fire it once, connect the multimeter to the trigger pin and ground tab (on the side of the foot), fire it again, and look at the highest voltage value you see while it recharges.

Above 12V is risky.

That flash could still be used off-camera, but I think it does not have many power level controls.
04-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #18

Original Poster
You can verify this easily if you have a multimeter. Just power up the flash, fire it once, connect the multimeter to the trigger pin and ground tab (on the side of the foot), fire it again, and look at the highest voltage value you see while it recharges.

Above 12V is risky.

That flash could still be used off-camera, but I think it does not have many power level controls.
Thanks for the info.... just over 250V...actually it was -250V so it should be OK right? -250 is less than 12!

Having looked at some of my photos, I realize I use the on camera flash very little. The occasional "portrait" shot and of course landscapes ( ). The one case I can clearly say a better flash would have come in handy, I may have been able to "fix" with a little clip on diffuser.

The times when I could have really used an external flash was doing some macro stuff, so I may have to look at a ring light instead of a flash.... dang... my shopping list just longer!
04-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I really like the gary fong origami flash diffuser. Very easy to use, and i found it very effective.

04-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
I really like the gary fong origami flash diffuser. Very easy to use, and i found it very effective.
Thanks... I'll have a look at it.
04-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Thanks for the info.... just over 250V...actually it was -250V so it should be OK right? -250 is less than 12!
Do I need to explain about voltage ?

I realize I use the on camera flash very little.
Maybe having a PTTL flash with bounce and swivel would help, I agree that the built-in flash gets pretty little use on my camera too.

Thanks... I'll have a look at it.
For anything labeled "Gary Fong", you're better off getting a copy from eBay or even better getting a Tupperware item with a hole in it . Seriously.
04-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi All,

My (much) better half has booked us tickets to New York for the fall and we'll be staying within walking distance of B&H Photo... oh boy oh boy oh boy!

I realize it's a ways off, but if I'm gonna drop some $$ at B&H, I need to start saving my allowance now. I like to shoot landscapes, family, airplanes and the usual "travel" shots.
Just so you don’t get disappointed with visiting the B&H store in person, the store does not have everything in stock that their on-line web site does.

I went last year to the store when I was in NYC and I only got one of the four filters I was looking for. The other three were in the warehouse and would take a couple days to arrive at the store.

Even though the store is an interesting place to visit, its way easier to order from the B&H web site and have your items shipped. Also you will have to pay NY sales taxes when you shop in person, which can be higher than the shipping costs.

Phil.

04-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Just so you don’t get disappointed with visiting the B&H store in person, the store does not have everything in stock that their on-line web site does.

I went last year to the store when I was in NYC and I only got one of the four filters I was looking for. The other three were in the warehouse and would take a couple days to arrive at the store.

Even though the store is an interesting place to visit, its way easier to order from the B&H web site and have your items shipped. Also you will have to pay NY sales taxes when you shop in person, which can be higher than the shipping costs.

Phil.
Thanks Phil, I'll keep that in mind. I do have a mail drop in Sumas I can use and family in the US who can hold things for me until I make it down to see them. I also need to check out LD and Kerrisdale Cameras. I noticed a couple things on their sites are very comparable to B&H's prices.

Martin
04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #24

Original Poster
Do I need to explain about voltage ?

Maybe having a PTTL flash with bounce and swivel would help, I agree that the built-in flash gets pretty little use on my camera too.

For anything labeled "Gary Fong", you're better off getting a copy from eBay or even better getting a Tupperware item with a hole in it . Seriously.

Nope... no need to explain the voltage concept. I guess that's why there's a red wire and a black wire huh?

As for the "Gary Fong" stuff.... I recall making a reasonably effective diffuser for the Vivitar with a couple of paper towels layered over the flash head and held in place with a rubber band.
04-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Phil, I'll keep that in mind. I do have a mail drop in Sumas I can use and family in the US who can hold things for me until I make it down to see them. I also need to check out LD and Kerrisdale Cameras. I noticed a couple things on their sites are very comparable to B&H's prices.

Martin
Yep that's what I do as well, but mine is in Blaine.

Phil.
04-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Brisboy Quote
By the way, could you sell off the 18-55 (seeing that the 18-55WR is essentially the same lens)? Or even both 18-55s seeing as you have the 18-135WR which is fairly capabe in the same range?
Agreed - and unless you suffer from the form of LBA that collects lenses based mostly on model name rather then function, you might want to talk to B&H before your trip about potential trades and stretch your resources a bit further.
04-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Just so you don’t get disappointed with visiting the B&H store in person,
Ah but there are so MANY excellent camera stores in Manhattan - all within minutes of each other by subway!

This from someone who lives about 8 hours drive from the nearest Pentax retail store and the closest thing to a camera store of any kind is a Best Buy (ugh) 2.5 hours away by car.
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have bought many things from B&H (and will continue to do so), but I doubt whether I would buy anything there in person. I thing the city has a combined city/state sales tax of 10%. It's cheaper to order big ticket items and have them shipped. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to wander through the store and drool though!
04-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I have bought many things from B&H (and will continue to do so), but I doubt whether I would buy anything there in person. I thing the city has a combined city/state sales tax of 10%. It's cheaper to order big ticket items and have them shipped. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to wander through the store and drool though!
Thanks Tom... if Mr. Google is not leading me astray, the NYC take rate is 8.875%... let's say 9% for ease of typing. Here the combined local tax rate is 12%. If I get something shipped to me across the border or go down and pick it up, I may or may not have to pay the 12% on it... depends where it was made, how long I've been out of the country, the cost and well...how grumpy the border guard is that day.
04-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Ah but there are so MANY excellent camera stores in Manhattan - all within minutes of each other by subway!

This from someone who lives about 8 hours drive from the nearest Pentax retail store and the closest thing to a camera store of any kind is a Best Buy (ugh) 2.5 hours away by car.
Oh dear... and here was me complaining about the relatively limited selections available locally. There are three chains around here that carry Pentax stuff. Of course, being not as popular as the C+N lines, the shelf space devoted to Pentax is often somewhat limited.