Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
Thanks Tom... if Mr. Google is not leading me astray, the NYC take rate is 8.875%... let's say 9% for ease of typing. Here the combined local tax rate is 12%. If I get something shipped to me across the border or go down and pick it up, I may or may not have to pay the 12% on it... depends where it was made, how long I've been out of the country, the cost and well...how grumpy the border guard is that day.
Sorry, I didn't notice you were in Canada. In that case, go for it! We live about 30 miles from the border (near Windsor, ON), and I have spent a lot of time in Toronto. I know how much more a lot of stuff is in Canada for no other reason than gouging you poor guys, as far as I can determine. So if you can come here and save a buck (or should I say Loon?), good for you!!

04-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Thanks Tom... if Mr. Google is not leading me astray, the NYC take rate is 8.875%... let's say 9% for ease of typing. Here the combined local tax rate is 12%. If I get something shipped to me across the border or go down and pick it up, I may or may not have to pay the 12% on it... depends where it was made, how long I've been out of the country, the cost and well...how grumpy the border guard is that day.
I don't know the Canadian customs practices, but as a U.S. citizen coming back into the U.S. I get a reasonably high total $ exemption, with limits on specific items - like alcohol.

Basically each person in the party can bring in 2 bottles of wine duty free, not to exceed a couple liters total. Returning from a trip from Germany a couple years ago, my spouse and I brought back 6 bottles total. I dutifully declared it. (bad pun) Well the amount that I would have had to pay for the excess versus the time it would have taken the customs official to do the paperwork got me a short stern lecture rather than paying the duty on 2 bottles of wine. I politely accepted my lecture and waited until I was well across the border before starting to laugh.
04-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I don't know the Canadian customs practices, but as a U.S. citizen coming back into the U.S. I get a reasonably high total $ exemption, with limits on specific items - like alcohol.

Basically each person in the party can bring in 2 bottles of wine duty free, not to exceed a couple liters total. Returning from a trip from Germany a couple years ago, my spouse and I brought back 6 bottles total. I dutifully declared it. (bad pun) Well the amount that I would have had to pay for the excess versus the time it would have taken the customs official to do the paperwork got me a short stern lecture rather than paying the duty on 2 bottles of wine. I politely accepted my lecture and waited until I was well across the border before starting to laugh.
Try taking a gun and a pet across the border! That wasn't my most time consuming crossing though. The worst one was when my place of employment sent me to Toronto. Border patrol was worried I was stealing some poor Canadian's job because when asked what the purpose of my visit was, I replied "work". About an hour later they let me go when I explained if our organization couldn't do business with the firm in Canada I was headed to, it would cost a lot more than just one job.
04-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote

Yes, the Canadian exemptions are quite similar. After being out of the country for more than 48hrs I can bring back $800 without worry. If less than 48 and more than 24hrs, the exemption drops to $200... and if it's a quick down and back again to retrieve something from a mail drop the tax rate will depend on the grumpy index and may or may not be enforced.

04-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Sorry, I didn't notice you were in Canada. In that case, go for it! We live about 30 miles from the border (near Windsor, ON), and I have spent a lot of time in Toronto. I know how much more a lot of stuff is in Canada for no other reason than gouging you poor guys, as far as I can determine. So if you can come here and save a buck (or should I say Loon?), good for you!!
No worries Tom... at one time, "the exchange rate" was the often used excuse for price differences. Now with our two currencies at near par, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to price differences.

As an example... K30 plus 18-135 lists at $1100 and is currently on for $1000 at the local store. The Pentax AF540 is listed at $600

At B&H... it's $1047 and $390 respectively.

For $50 difference for the camera it's not worth dealing with shipping/travel/border issues. At $210 difference for the flash... it might be worth thinking about it.
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Try taking a gun and a pet across the border! That wasn't my most time consuming crossing though. The worst one was when my place of employment sent me to Toronto. Border patrol was worried I was stealing some poor Canadian's job because when asked what the purpose of my visit was, I replied "work". About an hour later they let me go when I explained if our organization couldn't do business with the firm in Canada I was headed to, it would cost a lot more than just one job.
Remind me to tell you about the "chat" we had with the gentleman at the Homeland Security roadblock/checkpoint just outside of Tucson and the discussion around not needing to have a passport to enter the country (we can drive across with an "enhanced" driver's licence).
04-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #37
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It occurred to me 35-80 zoom range is not common--and if yours is the adaptall 2 (close focus) zoom be aware it is a gem. So don't cull that one w/o checking it out.

04-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
It occurred to me 35-80 zoom range is not common--and if yours is the adaptall 2 (close focus) zoom be aware it is a gem. So don't cull that one w/o checking it out.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll dig it out and have a look, but I rather suspect it isn't. It was the kit lens on a film era MZ50(?) I inherited from a family member.
04-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #39

Original Poster
As I suspected, it's a SMC Pentax-FA 35-80mm F4-5.6 kit lens with mediocre reviews in this site's pages...
05-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #40

Original Poster
As I suspected, it's a SMC Pentax-FA 35-80mm F4-5.6 kit lens with mediocre reviews in this site's pages...
Just a quick update... had the nice folks send out a tripod and head to family in Texas a week or so ago and picked it up there while visiting for an extended weekend... so that's two things off my list.
06-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Cool nuff: don't know if anyone suggested this, but one thing that's great to do when you're in New York would be to do some shopping for bags and tripods, etc: the kind of stuff that you really want to handle and feel rather than peep at photos online. Even if you'd rather cash-and-carry some smaller items like lenses, don't forget to look over stuff like that and write down what you like. Brick and mortar shopping's gotten very hard to come by.
09-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #42

Original Poster
Alas.... another update.

Have family visiting family in the US this week and they are bringing home a Sigma 10-20 (variable aperture) and a few bits and pieces for me.... I decided I really want a WA (better than 16mm) lens prior to visiting NY in October and Venice in May 2014.

So now...what do I drool over when I visit NY next month....?
09-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #43
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you come the Metropolitan Museum has an exhibit of Julia Cameron photos (besides all the other great stuff). I haven't been to see it yet but this is a rare opportunity. BTW the admission price is suggested (although they don't make it very clear!)--I give a dollar.
09-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #44

Original Poster
When you come the Metropolitan Museum has an exhibit of Julia Cameron photos (besides all the other great stuff). I haven't been to see it yet but this is a rare opportunity. BTW the admission price is suggested (although they don't make it very clear!)--I give a dollar.
Thanks for the info... the Met is certainly on the list of "to do" items... as is a walk along the Highline. I've done it once before...in July 2011... it was too stinkin' hot to be enjoyable then...
09-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info... the Met is certainly on the list of "to do" items... as is a walk along the Highline. I've done it once before...in July 2011... it was too stinkin' hot to be enjoyable then...
Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is fun. I was there a couple weeks ago and they are doing some renos on the bridge, so lots of tarps to ruin your shots.

Also a water taxi/ferry along the East or Hudson River have great views of Manhattan.

Phil.