Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scored a Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW on eBay late last year for ~$100

Problem is that once loaded up; it's too heavy to actually use :/
So I'll probably sell it

Then bought a Lowepro Passport Sling for about the same money and it follows me everywhere. Just need to pick what I need/want before I leave the house.

04-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Something like 130-150$ (at a sale) for my Boblbee People's Delight with an integrated back protector for motorcycling, skiing etc.
http://www.boblbee.com/us/artiklar/Artikelfullpost.asp?id=938&flik=1
Oh, and I've added things to it after that too!
04-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

For myself it was $60 +$10.50 delivery for a Kata DR466i backpack (reduced from $122 here)
i got a Domke F-5XC olive for $54 US when it was on special a couple of years ago - thats the one i probably use most if i carry a bag.

I bought my father in law a Lowepro Fastpack 350 for Christmas 3 years ago. It cost about $160. I think the tags are still on it, he's never used it!
04-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

$279 for the bag, $50 for shipping, $33 in duty. $362 for an ONA union street bag, I use it as a work bag and is the permanent home for the K5 when walking to and from work.

04-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I think it has to be my Pelicans (1510), by the time you add the inserts, silica tin box thingy and lid net pockets, I was about £200 a pop.

That said, I don't regret the purchases, not even for a heartbeat, they're great kit and do exactly what I need.
04-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

$120 for my Tamrac Pro 8. Largest "Satchel" style bag I could find. I really thing a backpack is more practical for everyday use, for those wondering.
04-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
$120 for my Tamrac Pro 8. Largest "Satchel" style bag I could find. I really thing a backpack is more practical for everyday use, for those wondering.
I'm not a big fan of backpacks unless I'm hiking. I find the satchel or messenger bag style best, although it does require limiting the size and scope of kit you are taking with you, both due to size and weight. I'm looking for a day pack currently to accommodate the Bronica GS-1 as well as my K5. The bronica is massive compared to the K5 and a satchel definitely doesn't cut it.

04-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle Quote
Forgive my Canadian ignorance, but are you saying that someone will come and cut open your bag and take their contents as they fall out? I'm being serious cause I've never heard of this!
Yes, it does happen. There have been several women here who have been punched then had their purses or cameras or Ipads, Iphones grabbed, had their purses slit at the mall. A guy in my one photo club went to the zoo with several other people in the city next to mine. During the day, in the zoo, a guy ran up to him, cut the straps of his bag very quickly and grabbed it. He ran away taking with him something like $1200 in equipment. Another pal of mine online was boarding a train over in Europe. They slashed the bottom of his backpack and got his camera that way. There was a rash of laptop thefts out in CA while I was there where people walked up to the person with, punched or knifed them then took their gear at cafes and such.

There's company out there now that is doing brisk business with anti-theft stuff in terms of camera gear. My way of doing it is pretty low tech but it's likely about as effective, I think. My area is getting bad, but stuff like this is happening all over. Thieves cut and run or punch and run to grab laptops, cameras, all kinds of gear now. You can't just walk around blind anymore. Using a fancy bag, with a label they know, very bad thing I think.

What really bothers me is not that they want my gear. I've been pick pocketed once. You half expect that anytime you're in a place with a lot of people no matter where you go. You have to be alert, but the fact that they might be willing to hurt me just to distract me to get it that I can't even wrap my mind around. That a thief might punch or knife someone just to grab a camera bag or an Ipad or whatever is just crazy.

Last edited by magkelly; 04-07-2013 at 04:17 AM.
04-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
I'm not a big fan of backpacks unless I'm hiking. I find the satchel or messenger bag style best, although it does require limiting the size and scope of kit you are taking with you, both due to size and weight. I'm looking for a day pack currently to accommodate the Bronica GS-1 as well as my K5. The bronica is massive compared to the K5 and a satchel definitely doesn't cut it.
That's more my issue - My everyday kit consists of whatever can possibly fit in there. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tamrac, it just seems like it will no doubt cause me lower back issues if I don't lighten it up.
04-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've still got the receipt: £145 inc. postage for a Billingham Hadley Pro. Ouch, maybe, but you may as well get the best. My lightweight alternative is a Domke F-5XB. £90 so ouch again.

I'd previously used some Lowepro or other (can't be bothered to try and remember which model) and a Crumpler Cupcake. I neither liked the bags nor the fact that the advertised capacity was an utter fabrication.
04-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #26
Forum Member

100€ for kata sensitivity V. Awesome backpack
04-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

0. Got a rucksack with the camera, inherited a Kipling messenger w/ insert and received a Kata 441 as a birthday present.
04-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

2 huge Lowepro's.
1 about $230 and the 2nd from a garage sale for $15.
Should have seen the 2nd one 1st I reckon ?
04-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Well....I have a LowePro combined trolly/backpack, and that's ideal for transporting a *lot* of gear, and works in airplanes - but not so good at using on location. I think I spent approx USD200 on that.

In terms of accessibility - when I don't care about looking like a dork - that which I have found to be most useful is a LowePro waist pack - I think that it's an Orion AW Waist Pack, the one where the top cover unzips and "folds outwards" for easy access to the gear, but it and I go back so long that I've forgotten the formal name. The bag sits comfortably on the hips - in front for access to equipment, and swings to the back and out of the way for trekking. The one I have easily holds body w/grip + 4 of the long DA* lenses and other odds and ends. I think I paid around USD100 for it, then.

I think that this bag is discontinued, though, but this is my favorite bag for hiking - much more practical than backpacks, in terms of accessing the gear, the weight of the camera is on the hips and not the shoulders - plus, it allows for an independent small backpack for a snack and water, etc.

For mucking around it a city, I use a LowePro event messenger bag, that almost looks discrete and holds an iPad and a camera - runs what, 60-70 USD, or so?
04-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #30
Inactive Account

i love to hike a lot but its either take by camera bag and not be prepared for anything that might go wrong "bad weather, nasty falls, excreta." and i love overnight camping but i just cant take bolth the camera bag and my multi day backpack when i have a sleeping bag in it along with food extra clothes first aid kit and a tent.